In the Age of Nerfs, What Should I Level Up?

Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Today marks my 36th day playing this game, and I feel like I'm a bit ahead of the curve when it comes to covers and progress. Sure, I may be missing a few here and there (I guess Grey Suit Black Widow isn't into me) and used the wrong covers on a few (5/5/3 on OBW and 5/5/3 on 2* Wolverine), but overall I feel like I played the game in a satisfactory manner. With the upcoming nerfs/buffs, however, I am in a bit of a bind. I have plenty of characters to work on, but Iso-8 is a different story. I'd rather not invest into a character that may be made useless in the near future, but at the same time, I'd rather not sit on a pile of Iso-8, either.

So, I now pose these questions to the men and women of these forums. Who should I level? If I get a new comic and not enough slots, who should I get rid of first? And is anyone else thinking about these questions, or am I thinking too much? Here is my current roster:

4*
Invisible Woman: 33, 1/0/1
Wolverine: 34, 0/1/1

3*
Doctor Doom: 15, 1/0
Iron Man: 55, 4/2/2
Loki: 15, 1/0
Magneto: 33, 0/2/2
Ragnarok: 28, 1/2
Punisher: 41, 2/4/4
Hulk: 48, 3/2/1
Spider-Man: 20, 2/3/1
The Hood: 15, 0/1/0
Wolverine: 15, 1/1/1

2*
Ares: 45 4/2/5
Black Widow: 52 5/5/3
Bullseye: 6 4/5
Captain America: 30 3/5/3
Daken: 6, 2/1
Hawkeye: 30, 3/1/4
Storm: 16, 2/2/3
Thor: 45, 2/5/3
Wolverine: 60, 5/5/3

1*
Black Widow: 31, 5/5
Iron Man: 40, 5/5/3
Storm: 20, 5/5/3

Comments

• KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    I'd level that OBW, 3* Iron Man and The Punisher first. I'd get rid of the 1* Storm if you ever need another slot, I doube she'll ever be useful to you at this point. It would also be good to maxing the Wolverine, he'll probably be your core team member for weeks to come until you can get any 3* over Lv80. Even if he'll get nerfed hard, a fully leveled 2* is a fully leveled 2*. They will probably make his green more expensive and weaker, but he'll stay relatively tanky and self healing. And the devs are talking about respec options, maybe you can switch him to 3/5/5 after the nerf.

I'm kinda at the same point as you, though I don't have so many covers for my 3*s. I have two maxed 2* and several 3*s in the high 30s, waiting on more covers. I don't feel like it's worth investing ISO in any additional 2* hero at this point. I mean a maxed 2* that is buffed in a PvE event is useful, but it's such a huge investment, I don't think it's worth it just for that. And outside of events I just wouldn't use a Captain America or Hawkeye. At the start of the Ares event I put a few thousand ISO into Captain America and got him from Lv10 to 30ish, and I honestly couldn't feel a damn difference.

I'm not much more experienced than you, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But I feel like we in a very similiar situation and I also thought quite a bit about this. My goal atm is getting more Punisher covers. But I'll probably level whatever 3* I can get my hands on, since they are so rare I don't have the luxury of focusing exlusively on 1 or 2. I'll have to take whatever the next events will offer.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Ares is a beast, level him up.
  • Clint wrote:

He seems that way in R&R, but how will Ares perform after the tourney is over?
  • KaioShinDE wrote:
    I'd level that OBW, 3* Iron Man and The Punisher first. I'd get rid of the 1* Storm if you ever need another slot, I doube she'll ever be useful to you at this point. It would also be good to maxing the Wolverine, he'll probably be your core team member for weeks to come until you can get any 3* over Lv80. Even if he'll get nerfed hard, a fully leveled 2* is a fully leveled 2*. They will probably make his green more expensive and weaker, but he'll stay relatively tanky and self healing. And the devs are talking about respec options, maybe you can switch him to 3/5/5 after the nerf.

I'm kinda at the same point as you, though I don't have so many covers for my 3*s. I have two maxed 2* and several 3*s in the high 30s, waiting on more covers. I don't feel like it's worth investing ISO in any additional 2* hero at this point. I mean a maxed 2* that is buffed in a PvE event is useful, but it's such a huge investment, I don't think it's worth it just for that. And outside of events I just wouldn't use a Captain America or Hawkeye. At the start of the Ares event I put a few thousand ISO into Captain America and got him from Lv10 to 30ish, and I honestly couldn't feel a damn difference.

I'm not much more experienced than you, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But I feel like we in a very similiar situation and I also thought quite a bit about this. My goal atm is getting more Punisher covers. But I'll probably level whatever 3* I can get my hands on, since they are so rare I don't have the luxury of focusing exlusively on 1 or 2. I'll have to take whatever the next events will offer.

Thanks for the advice! Those were the three characters I was going to invest in the most since they have the most covers and their powers blend in well enough with each other. I'm pretty sure that respec will cost an arm and a leg, so I'm not sure whether to keep buying more covers or hoard HP. You should get more Punisher covers if you do well enough in The Hunt/R&R, so that will solve that problem. I really like Patch, but the way D3 is doing PVP lately is quite concerning. Here's to hoping for lucky tokens?
  • Oversoul wrote:
    Clint wrote:

He seems that way in R&R, but how will Ares perform after the tourney is over?

If Thor and Wolverine actually do get nerfed, and depending on how much they are changed, Ares could possibly be the next best 2* tank (competing with Thor). He is still a very damaging character either way.
  • Ares seems to be designed to be the best 2 star offensive tank. He doesn't last as long as Thor simply because two of his moves have negative consequences while Thor's moves have no negative consequences, and his red is only good when he's almost dead (the damage is on par with Adamantium Claw normally, though it has more favorable interaction with strike tiles but it limited by the fact that some guys might already be dead before you get 10r and you can't just hold off killing someone like OBW to maximize his red damage). I'd think he's someone who does good damage but definitely needs to be healed more often than Thor needs to be.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Ares seems to be designed to be the best 2 star offensive tank. He doesn't last as long as Thor simply because two of his moves have negative consequences while Thor's moves have no negative consequences, and his red is only good when he's almost dead (the damage is on par with Adamantium Claw normally, though it has more favorable interaction with strike tiles but it limited by the fact that some guys might already be dead before you get 10r and you can't just hold off killing someone like OBW to maximize his red damage). I'd think he's someone who does good damage but definitely needs to be healed more often than Thor needs to be.

We need to keep track of how useful that ability is, or if it's working. I've tried to make it happen but I haven't seen it proc. Either I win or ares dies before I can pull it off. I'm wondering if it's going to be like spider sense before it was changed. (in that it's useless because it rarely happens)
    • 4* Keep
      [*]Invisible Woman: 33, 1/0/1[/*]
      [*]Wolverine: 34, 0/1/1[/*]
        3* Keep
        [*]Iron Man: 55, 4/2/2[/*]
        [*]Magneto: 33, 0/2/2[/*]
        [*]Ragnarok: 28, 1/2[/*]
        [*]Punisher: 41, 2/4/4[/*]
        [*]Hulk: 48, 3/2/1[/*]
        [*]Spider-Man: 20, 2/3/1[/*]
        [*]Wolverine: 15, 1/1/1[/*]
          3* Discard
          [*]Loki: 15, 1/0[/*]
          [*]Doctor Doom: 15, 1/0[/*]
          [*]The Hood: 15, 0/1/0[/*]
            2* Keep
            [*]Wolverine: 60, 5/5/3[/*]
            [*]Thor: 45, 2/5/3[/*]
            [*]Ares: 45 4/2/5[/*]
            [*]Black Widow: 52 5/5/3[/*]
            [*]Storm: 16, 2/2/3[/*]
              2* Discard
              [*]Daken: 6, 2/1[/*]
              [*]Bullseye: 6 4/5[/*]
              [*]Captain America: 30 3/5/3[/*]
              [*]Hawkeye: 30, 3/1/4[/*]
                1* Keep
                [*]Storm: 20, 5/5/3[/*]
                  1* Discard
                  [*]Iron Man: 40, 5/5/3[/*]
                  [*]Black Widow: 31, 5/5[/*]
                1. Bugpop wrote:
                    4* Keep
                    [*]Invisible Woman: 33, 1/0/1[/*]
                    [*]Wolverine: 34, 0/1/1[/*]
                      3* Keep...

Thanks! I'll be sure to sell the 1* and 2* characters only when I get something good. You never know when they'll be buffed.
                    • Bugpop wrote:
                      Phantron wrote:
                      Ares seems to be designed to be the best 2 star offensive tank. He doesn't last as long as Thor simply because two of his moves have negative consequences while Thor's moves have no negative consequences, and his red is only good when he's almost dead (the damage is on par with Adamantium Claw normally, though it has more favorable interaction with strike tiles but it limited by the fact that some guys might already be dead before you get 10r and you can't just hold off killing someone like OBW to maximize his red damage). I'd think he's someone who does good damage but definitely needs to be healed more often than Thor needs to be.

We need to keep track of how useful that ability is, or if it's working. I've tried to make it happen but I haven't seen it proc. Either I win or ares dies before I can pull it off. I'm wondering if it's going to be like spider sense before it was changed. (in that it's useless because it rarely happens)

You mean the double damage aspect of Ares's red? It seems to work fine for me. It's just very rare to have exactly the correct amount of health and reds to pull off (red AP is just too useful to let it sit idle). I think I got it off twice in both R&R tournaments and none of them were intended. They were all like miracle matches while on the verge of death variety.
                    • Unknown
                      edited January 2014
                      Bugpop wrote:
                        3* Discard
                        [*]Loki: 15, 1/0[/*]
                        [*]Doctor Doom: 15, 1/0[/*]
                        [*]The Hood: 15, 0/1/0[/*]

I'm curious why you suggest discarding Doom?

He uses colors that are not used by many characters and his demon tiles are deadly at higher levels. In Lightning Rounds, he can take down almost any character in 2-3 rounds.
                      • Ronfar
                        Ronfar Posts: 150
                        Captain America has been boosted in every single PvE special event so far. I expect this trend to continue; leveling him is a low priority, but don't sell him.
                      • I've found maxed Daken+Wolverine to be an astonishingly great combo for PvE. I wouldn't discard Daken, personally.