Spider-Villains needed: Rhino

Options
ronin_san
ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
edited June 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
Rhino was cool, but dumb as a bag of hammers. Seriously. He knew how to run and headbutt. End. Aleksei, though. He's gamma irradiated. He's bonkers.

So here's to the new headbutt champion.

Aleksei Systevich star.pngstar.pngstar.png
Rhino (Earth 616)
12500 HPs.
spider-man-amazing-617.jpg

blackflag.png 7 AP. Gore them. ALL of them.
5lPtClV.png
Blunt and to the point. Rhino Charges head first and crashes into the enemy, leaving himself open to attack. Deal 550 damage end the turn.

Rank 2. Damage increased to 1000
Rank 3. Damage increased to 1600
Rank 4. Damage increase to 2400
Rank 5. If Rhino kills an enemy, he throws them aside. Destroy a random 3x3 square and do not end turn.
At max level, deal 2900 damage.

yellowflag.png Enhanced Psychosis. 8 AP.
x240-qhT.jpg
Rhino cannot stand to be made fun of, and takes offense even when he's not the target. Place a timer tile in play at 2 turns of duration. During that time, if a teammate would be attacked, Rhino pushes them out of the way to take the damage instead. The teammate takes damage and Rhino moves to the front.

Rank 1. 2 turns. Teammate takes 300 and Rhino generates a strike tile of strength :25:
Rank 2. 3 turns. Teammate takes 400 and Rhino generates a strike tile of strength :45:
Rank 3. 4 turns. Teammate takes 500 and Rhino generates a strike tile of strength :65:
Rank 4. 5 turns. Rhino generates two strike tiles of strength :85:
Rank 5. 6 turns. Rhino generates two strike tiles of strength :120:

redflag.png Incalculable hatred. PASSIVE
the-rhino-versus-black-suited-spider-man.jpg
Rhino's temper overwhelms him, such that he cannot maintain his cool in combat. Whenever Rhino is attacked above 5% of his base health, place a one-turn timer tile in play. When it pops, create 3 random strike.png of strength 25.

Rank 2. If you have 8 blacktile.png AP in your reserves, Rhino also stomps and destroys a random 2x2 block.
Rank 3. If you have 8 yellowtile.png AP in your reserves, Rhino backhands the enemy, stunning them for one turn.
Rank 4. strike.png creation count goes up to 5 of strength 55.
Rank 5. stun duration up to 3 turns. Destruction goes to 3x3.

Here's some dialogue on this. He's gamma-infused. He already had a temper. He's a Russian (mafia) criminal. So the gamma treatment enhanced his psychosis. I wanted a bit Fury(with AP comes bonuses), a bit Hulk. But the entry cost is high, since he's a star.pngstar.pngstar.png .

No doubt the developer tendency is to develop some sort of Rhino Charge; this momentum that he gets. That's not really Rhino. He's a colossally strong dummy that has a pointy forehead. He has a fragile ego and has no concept of how to be delicate. That implies weakness, which would just piss him off.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Won't let me upvote, but you nailed Rhino.

My only question would be the in the yellowflag.png If the CD tile is out, and it is simple match damage for the teammate, it would still do 500 to the teammate instead of the lesser match damage which is totally acceptable since there is a strike tile placed, so it has it's cost, and KK could easily counter that damage, but what happens on an AOE ability?

blackflag.png
    Brilliant design! I love that if he kills someone, the next person in line takes some damage from the tile destruction, but i think that should be present at all covers, save the "does not end the turn" for the last cover, would make for build diversity.

Maybe scale it like this:
    Blunt and to the point. Rhino Charges head first and crashes into the enemy, leaving himself open to attack. Deals 550 and and if the enemy is killed, he destroys a 2x2 block in the center of the board, dealing damage for the tiles to the next enemy in line. Ends the turn.
    Rank 2. Damage increased to 1000
    Rank 3. Damage increased to 1600 Block destroyed increases to 2x3
    Rank 4. Damage increase to 2400 Block destroyed increases to 3x3
    Rank 5. If Rhino kills an enemy, he throws them aside. Destroy a random 3x3 square and does not end turn.
    At max level, deal 2900 damage.

the redflag.png , i wouldn't touch it, it is perfect as is!
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He is the epitome of a hammer personified, albeit with a complete lack of self worth. He overcompensates by hitting things and lashing out. That isn't Hulk. Hulk gets stronger when attacked. The red is how Hulk should really work. Sure, he claps and stomps. But those should be 6 and 7 ap abilities. hulk should hit hard because you made him mad.

You even see it in the Avengers movie. He gets mad and immediately can stop a Chitauri whale. You see it in AoU, too. hulk buster knocks out one of Hulk's teeth. That was a BAAAAAAAAAD idea. Tony freaks out; knows he went over the line.
    That is raw strength, not ability damage. And that is what I love the most about gamma rhino.

Re: ability damage and AOE. the ego check and pushing a teammate strictly exists for solo attacks. Though it is an interesting dynamic for when an AOE hits. I ink it needs to read: if an enemy would target a teammate with an ability, Rhino pushes the teammate aside and takes it on the chin.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    He is the epitome of a hammer personified, albeit with a complete lack of self worth. He overcompensates by hitting things and lashing out. That isn't Hulk. Hulk gets stronger when attacked. The red is how Hulk should really work. Sure, he claps and stomps. But those should be 6 and 7 ap abilities. hulk should hit hard because you made him mad.

You even see it in the Avengers movie. He gets mad and immediately can stop a Chitauri whale. You see it in AoU, too. hulk buster knocks out one of Hulk's teeth. That was a BAAAAAAAAAD idea. Tony freaks out; knows he went over the line.
    That is raw strength, not ability damage. And that is what I love the most about gamma rhino.

Re: ability damage and AOE. the ego check and pushing a teammate strictly exists for solo attacks. Though it is an interesting dynamic for when an AOE hits. I ink it needs to read: if an enemy would target a teammate with an ability, Rhino pushes the teammate aside and takes it on the chin.

AoU really showed why his team taking damage is well within the norm for hulk.. i mean, he almost levels a city having a tantrum...

Rhino has changed so many times throughout the years. I like the specification of the teammate taking damage.. this would make him incredibly useful in situations like TBE, when your OBW is about to die because of a 2k CD tile, but you really need that blue match to heal or handle the other CD Tiles, you would have no fear in making the match..she would take a measly 500 damage.. that ability alone, even at only a couple covers could change the dynamic of TBE and allow transitioners to finish it more regularly. We need this type of ability, especially becuase deadpool is wasted in TBE, purples are for AP steal (for now anyway).