Divine Champions

Comments

• WilliamK99 wrote:
    My LV85 area, Lvl 85 Thir, and Level 115 Rag are getting torn up by people... Come on there are easier targets out there...

Same...dont think anyone is gonna hit 2k bc there are no available targets. Unless a shield fest occurs at the 8hr mark, 800 will take #1 in almost every bracket it seems.

Hi just signed up on the forums after starting 10 days ago. good game.

My current bracket is being won at 1138 with all of the top 5 over 850. I have been over 1k and fought quite a lot of people over the 1k mark and even 1200+. Not sure why you guys are unable to progress higher but people are indeed getting higher.

How lucky for you. All I see with out skipping a hundred times is people at sub 25 points with the exception being retaliations and I'm at a 350ish points. Certainly I can grind off those people but they will retaliate for more than I gained.
  • Yeah well, I've hit a brick wall. All I see is 85 ares/thor now for 25 points and I just do not have the team to compete.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Every time I gain 20 points, I get dragged down for dozens and hundreds of points. I guess I'm in a stronger bracket that I can afford to, it's no problem for me to gain my points back, but there are way too many people willing to get them off me. Is my team of 35-45-ish heroes so attractive to beat?

How to remedy this? Lose a couple of matches to get into a weaker bracket? I won 500+ points to gain 50 hero points with such great labour over two days (people kept dragging me down despite me winning 90% of my matches) and I'd like maybe to climb to 600 to have a red Ares cover, but how is that possible when I am back at 415 at this exact moment, despite winning every match for two hours straight? My strongest heroes are 45 c. Storm, 45 oBW and 45 Wolverine (also 30 m. Storm) icon_razz.gif I run Ares, Thor or Ragnarok when I have to, but I don't like to (understatement).
  • Has anyone here truly broken away from the pack this time, or hit the higher tier progression rewards? I don't see much shielding going on at all compared to the last few events, so that may be why no-one can hit escape velocity. I put in some serious grinding on off-hours last night and still couldn't bust out. sitting at 1st with 700ish, max last night was ~900. A low MMR doesn't mean squat for reaching prog rewards in this one since everyone and their mother has a team that can beat you handily.

I predicted before that the shield cost would stay high because people were still using them fairly liberally, but if this tourney is any indication I'd bet spending on shields is dropping dramatically. No-one is willing to build the first rung of the ladder because no-one (myself included) trusts that others will follow suit. I'd love to have some insight into the metadata on HP spend since the shield price changes. IceIX, any chance of a trending report on this?
  • Has anyone here truly broken away from the pack this time, or hit the higher tier progression rewards? I don't see much shielding going on at all compared to the last few events, so that may be why no-one can hit escape velocity. I put in some serious grinding on off-hours last night and still couldn't bust out. sitting at 1st with 700ish, max last night was ~900. A low MMR doesn't mean squat for reaching prog rewards in this one since everyone and their mother has a team that can beat you handily.

I predicted before that the shield cost would stay high because people were still using them fairly liberally, but if this tourney is any indication I'd bet spending on shields is dropping dramatically. No-one is willing to build the first rung of the ladder because no-one (myself included) trusts that others will follow suit. I'd love to have some insight into the metadata on HP spend since the shield price changes. IceIX, any chance of a trending report on this?

There is one guy in my bracket that has been over 1k points since I started in the bracket. He has been using shields but he seems to be the only one
  • I haven't had time to play and I have all the progression covers maxed out so I've been ignoring the tournament mostly. Might make a push today/tonight and see where I end up.
  • If you want to get away from the pack, go as high as you can and then use a 3 hour shield. Then you will get tons of people attacking you and it will lower your mmr. That's why you see people in the 1000s while everyone else is stuck below, it's because these people used shields.
  • I think the lightning rounds really sapped alot of participation out of round 2 of DC, contributing to low scores all around. good for the lightweights I guess who can grind their way or get lucky and place top5.
  • Microtom wrote:
    If you want to get away from the pack, go as high as you can and then use a 3 hour shield. Then you will get tons of people attacking you and it will lower your mmr. That's why you see people in the 1000s while everyone else is stuck below, it's because these people used shields.

That's how it worked in the past, for sure. And it's a sure strategy for getting 1st in your bracket.

I'm more inquiring about hitting the progression rewards. Even assuming you can come out ahead 200 points each time you unshield and make a push (highly unlikely, since each time you unshield you're the juiciest target alive and vulnerable), you'd be spending 800HP or more to hit the top of the prog rewards, and still be putting in hours and hours of grinding. With scoring/matchmaking the way it is, the old top tier of 1400 points for progression makes more sense and would encourage me to spend way more on shields than I plan to right now.
  • Microtom wrote:
    If you want to get away from the pack, go as high as you can and then use a 3 hour shield. Then you will get tons of people attacking you and it will lower your mmr. That's why you see people in the 1000s while everyone else is stuck below, it's because these people used shields.

That's how it worked in the past, for sure. And it's a sure strategy for getting 1st in your bracket.

I'm more inquiring about hitting the progression rewards. Even assuming you can come out ahead 200 points each time you unshield and make a push (highly unlikely, since each time you unshield you're the juiciest target alive and vulnerable), you'd be spending 800HP or more to hit the top of the prog rewards, and still be putting in hours and hours of grinding. With scoring/matchmaking the way it is, the old top tier of 1400 points for progression makes more sense and would encourage me to spend way more on shields than I plan to right now.

Absolutely -- I was able to grind/shield my way to back-to-back #1's in the Ares event, but hitting the top progression award was ridiculously out of reach. I'd un-shield, get hit for 100 pts in the time I was grinding 15-20 max. Was more than happy to just park it and win the IW cover but i wanted that green wolverine!
  • I predicted before that the shield cost would stay high because people were still using them fairly liberally, but if this tourney is any indication I'd bet spending on shields is dropping dramatically. No-one is willing to build the first rung of the ladder because no-one (myself included) trusts that others will follow suit. I'd love to have some insight into the metadata on HP spend since the shield price changes. IceIX, any chance of a trending report on this?

I think part of the problem is the event awards and progression awards aren't worth it to a lot of people to waste their HP on. If the rewards were Hulk/Patch/Grey Widow, you might see more people throwing up shields to preserve their points.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    jozier wrote:
    I haven't had time to play and I have all the progression covers maxed out so I've been ignoring the tournament mostly. Might make a push today/tonight and see where I end up.

I decided to take this tourney off as well, so not personally pushing stuff up. I have no need for these IW/Wolvie covers.
  • I'd like to have the green IW/red wolvie as I don't have the covers yet but I'm not going balls to the wall to get there. I might push for a black loki tonight depending on the resistance and try to tank my way back down to obw.
  • Nemek wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    I haven't had time to play and I have all the progression covers maxed out so I've been ignoring the tournament mostly. Might make a push today/tonight and see where I end up.

I decided to take this tourney off as well, so not personally pushing stuff up. I have no need for these IW/Wolvie covers.

I'm sitting on a 3/3/2 X force and I have my 4th red (from DC round 1) in the cache. I'm debating whether to target my 5th. First place is only at 577 and I'm sitting in the 400s. But without knowing the buffs coming to him it's not clear I even want 4 let alone 5 red.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Phantron wrote:
    I wonder if the actual point change is only calculated after you play the game, based on your current point and their current point.

I think it is this. I have noticed I've played a retaliation worth 35 and after I've won the point total has been higher, and lower. So I think the retaliation cues up the player and the server calculates the score based on that player's score at the end of the match.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Phantron wrote:
    I wonder if the actual point change is only calculated after you play the game, based on your current point and their current point.

I think it is this. I have noticed I've played a retaliation worth 35 and after I've won the point total has been higher, and lower. So I think the retaliation cues up the player and the server calculates the score based on that player's score at the end of the match.

It definitely does.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    This round will end in the middle of the night for me. I really need the Punisher covers, but it's hard to predict how the tournament will end. If I go to bed normally I would need an 8 hour shield to protect myself until the tourney ends, but with the new pricing I'm not sure that it's worth it. I would get 100HP back from a good placement, but since the points are so closely together and it being impossible to grind ahead, I'm afraid that even with shielding it is extremely likely that I drop out of the top 15. And I'm not sure it's worth the HP investment into an 8 hour shield for 1 punisher cover. I'll probably end up in the Top45 bracket if I go to bed with 500 points unshielded. I could get to 600, but I kinda think it would only make me a more attractive target.

My team is 85 wolvie, 77OBW and 62 Ares. Not exactly farm material for most enemies, but easily enough dispatched by good players.
  • The AI does not evaluate the strength of the ability at all when deciding what to use. I saw a team with a level 85 Thor and a level 6 Ares and it was using Onslaught for harmless damage instead of saving them for Thor. It didn't use the green for Onslaught right away, but it eventually gets tired of waiting and then gives me a nice chunk of green for less than 1000 damage.

Having people in 800s or even low 1000s is quite possible if they've been shielded there the whole time (the 1000 probably requires breaking shield at a time people are asleep and then quickly re-shield). Now if those guys are unshielded for any extended period of time and still stayed that high, then they must somehow not be seen by the nearest attacker. From what I can tell, this is becoming increasingly rare. The guys I see that are high points on the leaderboard have been shielded for a pretty long time.
  • Poor old AI, it's sitting on Thunderclap because it thinks Adamantium Slash will be better.

Oh, wait, it's right. Ragnarok was only 74, to be fair.
  • I managed to fall into an MMR "blind spot" where nobody seems to be attacking me. Sitting at #2 behind TheLadder at 1089 using 85 Thor/Ares/CStorm.