*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• This is a Must have!! I love it!
  • Im in clonflict now. I know 355 is the optimal build and all that, but 4->5 greend adds 700 damage to primary target and 300 to others, I think its too low. I mean, the bump on 3->4 red is even lower, but when buffed my 4 red was doing 3k and 4 green 7k/3.5k alredy (yellow at 5 of course, buffed was 4.7k). I have mine 454 for sometime alredy, on divine champions pvp I decided to max his lv as soon DDQ (today) would give the 5th green but now I dont know if its really -that- much needed.

And the first post here is missing the damage on max lv powers at 3/4/5 covers (red has at 3 tho).
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor 3/5/5 and Doom 5/3/5

Full rainbow of active powers.

This is the core that helped me get covers in every PVP when i started transitioning, and even today is the team i use to down massively overscaled nodes. Doom's purple at 5 covers ready to fire, with a green on thor ready to fire, and down goes a 15k hp hulk.
  • I'm a 2 to 3 transition player. I have Thor at 160 and will make him my first 166. My other 3s are mostly in the 100 range. I've been playing Thor/3Daken/Hood or Thor/Daken/Prof X, but before I spend the ISO to level another character I was wondering what the opinions of more seasoned players are regarding good teams with Thor. Btw I am primarily a pve player.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raist818 wrote:
    I'm a 2 to 3 transition player. I have Thor at 160 and will make him my first 166. My other 3s are mostly in the 100 range. I've been playing Thor/3Daken/Hood or Thor/Daken/Prof X, but before I spend the ISO to level another character I was wondering what the opinions of more seasoned players are regarding good teams with Thor. Btw I am primarily a pve player.

You may have scaling issues if you have 1 166 and everyone else 100, enemies will be tough whenever you can't use Thor.

In any event, anyone black/purple/blue would be a good match with Thor. Cyclops also works pretty well. And khan does as well (even though it doubles of green nukes, it lets two different colors channel into green), hood is a classic pair, as is loci as they both accelerate Thor.
  • Vhailorx wrote:
    Raist818 wrote:
    I'm a 2 to 3 transition player. I have Thor at 160 and will make him my first 166. My other 3s are mostly in the 100 range. I've been playing Thor/3Daken/Hood or Thor/Daken/Prof X, but before I spend the ISO to level another character I was wondering what the opinions of more seasoned players are regarding good teams with Thor. Btw I am primarily a pve player.

You may have scaling issues if you have 1 166 and everyone else 100, enemies will be tough whenever you can't use Thor.

In any event, anyone black/purple/blue would be a good match with Thor. Cyclops also works pretty well. And khan does as well (even though it doubles of green nukes, it lets two different colors channel into green), hood is a classic pair, as is loci as they both accelerate Thor.

I realize I'm showing my ignorance, but scaling issues? Is pve scaling done by highest character? I thought it was based on the team average.

I have been considering Thor/Daken/Blade or Thor/Daken/Loki because all 6 colors have active abilities and you have 3 passives which seems very efficient to me.
  • Vhailorx
    Raist818 wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Raist818 wrote:

I realize I'm showing my ignorance, but scaling issues? Is pve scaling done by highest character? I thought it was based on the team average.

I have been considering Thor/Daken/Blade or Thor/Daken/Loki because all 6 colors have active abilities and you have 3 passives which seems very efficient to me.

No one knows exactly how scaling works (except the devs). Some people will say it has nothing to do with level. I think that scaling is mostly based off of performance, so your levels won't directly affect your scaling. But you will perform better with higher levels, so your scaling will be indirectly affected. I think the worst place to be is to have one very high leveled character and everyone else around 94. You will do fine when you can use that one high leveled character. But they will be locked out sometimes for one reason or another, and your 94s won't be useful. Personally I favor leveling up several characters all at once, so you are never stuck without someone from your "a" team?
  • nerfed again?
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    nerfed again?
    Nothing has been announced. Have you noticed something?
  • yogi_ wrote:
    nerfed again?

his green at level 5 does less damage
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    yogi_ wrote:
    nerfed again?

his green at level 5 does less damage
    What I suspect you are seeing here is something to do with the character's in-game power description.

Thor's Green used to be explained in the format of "Power does X damage to the target and 0.5X damage to the other team members."

Some time ago, this was changed to "Power does 0.5X damage to the enemy team and an additional 0.5x damage to the target", which made it a little simpler to follow.

The issue is that this wording isn't totally consistent across the character - for the most part, it's the updated format, but in a couple of places the original wording remains.

All damage should be the same.

Is this what you have seen?
  • Ir0nF1sh
    Ir0nF1sh Posts: 52 Match Maker
    As has been previously mentioned by some folks in the character discussion. Has Thor's green greenflag.png been nerfed? I noticed the green power doesn't do the same amount of damage as is listed on his page. When did this happen? HAs there been any announcements? If so i missed them.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was reworded, but the damage is the same. It used to be phrased as 2X to the target and X to other enemies, but now it is X to all enemies and an additional X to the target.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    It was reworded, but the damage is the same. It used to be phrased as 2X to the target and X to other enemies, but now it is X to all enemies and an additional X to the target.

That made the change in the way the damage is dealt because chars like PX or anyone invis, if they were the only char left, would not take any damage at all, actually, since the dd was listed first, the power would not fire if an invis char was the lone char left. This change needs or may have already been done to carnage red as well.
  • So the single target component was the main one, now the AoE is the main part of the power.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Merged in a related thread.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    The answer, like all things in this game, is where the rest of your roster is.

If you are in 3* land, then Thor is a beast and can win matches by himself. Definitely top 10, and probably top 5.
    If you are starting the 4* transition, he can do reasonable damage, and also serve as a yellow/green battery, and has good HP.
    If you are in 4* land completely, he doesn't do enough damage to hang, unless you are just focused on the AP generation (at which point, spec him to 5/5/3 to get full benefit). But, when he's boosted like he was this past week, he has his uses.
  • Vhailorx
    Lazy Thor is all around solid. He is tough, hits hard, and his powers chain together for great synergy.

He was once among the very best of 3*s in the game. But powercreep has left him a bit behind the curve. Therr are now 5ish 3*s who jist outright better than him for a variety of reasons (cyc, if, im40, switch, kk, strange etc).

Like BP and Human Torch, he isnt bad. And you will have fun with a boosted champ lazy thor. But when you have a complete 3* roster you will likely find that you only use him when essential or occasionally when boosted.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor was my first champed 3* just after that feature went live, and I never regretted it for a minute.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    His biggest problem is the im40 buff left him much weaker since there is a much better use for yellow as a battery. He's my highest level 3 and I still have very fond memories of him just after his release. He's still a great character but just outclassed by later releases and reworks.