[Spoiler] thread seems to be derailing

Options
anamosity
anamosity Posts: 87
edited May 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
I've kept up with the spoiler thread and appreciate little mystery tidbits from the likes of turul and staygazing among other code reading types that have legit information to share. People then have fun speculating on what the teased information is.

There seems to now be a ton of "i really feel this is the next character because fox is coming out with a movie" or absolute declarative statements like "this will be the next character" which leads to others posting confused replies about where they got the info (nowhere) or the repetitive explanation of the state of character rights in the movie industry.

I think there should be a spoiler thread that has informed teasing and guessing of what's coming up and a separate thread for random thoughts people have about what characters they say are coming into the game based on no information.

Comments

• stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The problem is that the people who make incredibly stupid guesses based on no information don't think their guesses are stupid.

But unfortunately. . .
    They are stupid.

The guesses, I mean. Not necessarily the people. You can't really ask a group to self select by intelligence. And even the smartest among us can be swayed by wishful thinking.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The thing is, the real information basically comes from two sources: actual news articles, press releases, and the like, and turul's mining of the data files. When we don't have anything solid from either one, people just start speculating. Turul's really only allowed to leave breadcrumbs without getting the thread shut down, so it's mostly vague hints and speculation.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There needs to be a separate thread for speculation. I mostly stopped reading the spoiler thread a while ago, because it became too hard to find turul's legit info amid the pages and pages of guesswork and wishlists.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The spoiler thread is living its own life - the untidyness is one of the thing keeping it alive.

However if you dont want to search deeply, here's the current situation:

Upcoming character #1
    - Deals ??? damage to target and ??? damage to everyone including allies, except self
    - Passive / Creates 2x2 attack tiles for both sides whenever an active ability is used
    - Random tile destruction. Bonus dmg if it hits a special tile.

Upcoming character #2
    Other news:
    2* Bullseye gets lazy-green power.
    Villains PVP, Gauntlet, Juggs Heroic (with some refreshed content) coming
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    You could have asked the film rights people or anyone else you felt were getting too far off topic to start their own separate thread. I've done exactly that in thread, and the posters and mods were kind enough to start a new one and move the content there without issue. It will be difficult for you, though, to keep people from discussing upcoming film and tv projects because Marvel markets Marvel-made film and tv projects in their licensed games. In fact you'll be hard pressed to control much of anything in the thread because there's only so many characters released and only so much information anyone can share before it gets shut down. So someone gives a hint, then people conjecture, sometimes wildly, get off topic, then snap back when more info arrives. The original spoiler thread derails all the time, especially between releases. So call this a reboot or refresh, but don't expect a different result.