*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Comments

• Without seeing exactly what happened I'm inclined to believe you simply had another person use a move which moved that guy in front of Colossus. I did that quite a few times thinking it'd be a great idea to put a Battleplan up before a Colossal Punch for the extra damage and not realizing that it was a very bad idea.

I've never seen a case where if Colossus made the first match of the turn and he's somehow not considered in front for a Colossal Punch, as long as you didn't do anything else with moves later.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Without seeing exactly what happened I'm inclined to believe you simply had another person use a move which moved that guy in front of Colossus. I did that quite a few times thinking it'd be a great idea to put a Battleplan up before a Colossal Punch for the extra damage and not realizing that it was a very bad idea.

I've never seen a case where if Colossus made the first match of the turn and he's somehow not considered in front for a Colossal Punch, as long as you didn't do anything else with moves later.
    I've done this too with Patch's Berserker Rage. Now I always make sure I use the other skill, then Immovable to force Colossus to the front, then Punch. This combo will usually wipe out the other team
  • Another thing, if you used any move that can create a cascade, whoever is in front will be whoever made the first match on that cascade. For example, let's say Colossus matches black on your team and you have Iron Fist use IFoKL, which matched some black tiles immediately. Colossus will now be in front, because he just matched those tiles, even in front of Iron Fist who just used a move.

I find it's easiest to just make sure Colossal Punch is your first move after you got Colossus in front before you do something else that'll change that.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I may not have it all right yet, so I will test this some more. I'll report back once I have it figured out, but yeah matching someone else first followed by Colossus did not count as Colossus in front.

P.S. I'm in the middle of testing that interesting fact mentioned by Phantron. Apparently if the cascade is triggered by a skill, the person in front is the LAST person that made the match.

P.P.S. So far in the case of a cascade triggered by a skill, the display of who is in front is consistent in whether Colossal Punch does bonus.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Another thing, if you used any move that can create a cascade, whoever is in front will be whoever made the first match on that cascade. For example, let's say Colossus matches black on your team and you have Iron Fist use IFoKL, which matched some black tiles immediately. Colossus will now be in front, because he just matched those tiles, even in front of Iron Fist who just used a move.

I find it's easiest to just make sure Colossal Punch is your first move after you got Colossus in front before you do something else that'll change that.

That's what happened. He was in front, having made the most recent match, and I hit Colossal Punch. It did half damage.

Later in the fight, it did half-damage again, but that time he wasn't in front. And it fired as expected once as well.

So three different uses (two after I made the OP) and three different outcomes. Horribly confused.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    They really should fix Colossal Punch so that it activates the power up if he's in front OR if he has his Immovable Object tile on the board. Having him not fire off the power up despite having the tile is confusing and frustrating to everyone.
  • Same thing happened to me. Did a red match with him then used his red and it only did the normal non-front punch. Just made sure to use his yellow first every time I used his red after that (all 1 or 2 times).
  • I had to figure it out first too. In my experience his yellow active does not automatically put him in front, despite the skill description saying he "jumps in front" or something. I always make sure now that I make a match Colossus tanks before I use his red.

Oh by the way: Colossal Punch, then Iron Fist of K'un Lun (with black at 12+) against another target, then Rage of the Panther. Hasta la vista, baby. icon_twisted.gif
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Were his covers at 4 or 5 Red? Or less?
  • yah I had this happen as well- I triggered Collosus' yellow one turn- next turn- I use someone else's attack to down an opponent thinking I will follow up and down the next guy with the colossal punch- but it only does the normal non-front damage- I thought it was a bug? If his yellow tile is out it should trigger the bigger punch regardless of the last attack. That's stupid.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    I had this happen during the event as well. I don't remember the particulars, but I remember thinking "Colossus is in front, so his punch will do bigger numbers" but it fizzled.

Only happened once, so good to know I didn't just imagine that.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    So Colossus can't Fastball Special Professor X which is a bit of a disappointment. Tons of black on the board but no purple so I wanted to get a Blind Spot out - wouldn't let me.

Colossus Nick Fury Human Torch has been a lot of fun, let Colossus use black for a Fury power and Torch can play with red and green.

Just curious, is it possible that the reason you couldn't throw Prof X was due to there not being a valid purple tile on the board to use Blind Spot? I know that because it takes a turn or so before he lands, there is a chance that there wouldn't be an appropriate tile once he lands, but the game could be locking out the option as there isn't a tile when you start.

EDIT:

Never mind, just tested it. Tons of purple tiles on the board and can't chuck Prof X. It might be interesting to see which abilities can be thrown when a character only has covers for a single ability. You're likely right though about which abilities can be used as TU's are likely the only options.
  • The Colossus + Ultron Fighter + OBW node gave me a lot of chances to verify that Immovable Object indeed does affect strike tiles. The Immovable Object modifier only shows up at the very end when the number is displayed on the lifebar, so you'll make a match 3 with some strike tiles and it'll read as '1000', but on his lifebar it ends up as '-500'. It's very noticeable when Colossus has 30 yellow AP and you're trying to burn him down with strike tiles and found that it absolutely doesn't work.
  • Phantron wrote:
    The Colossus + Ultron Fighter + OBW node gave me a lot of chances to verify that Immovable Object indeed does affect strike tiles. The Immovable Object modifier only shows up at the very end when the number is displayed on the lifebar, so you'll make a match 3 with some strike tiles and it'll read as '1000', but on his lifebar it ends up as '-500'. It's very noticeable when Colossus has 30 yellow AP and you're trying to burn him down with strike tiles and found that it absolutely doesn't work.

If this is true, this did not use to be the case.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    The Colossus + Ultron Fighter + OBW node gave me a lot of chances to verify that Immovable Object indeed does affect strike tiles. The Immovable Object modifier only shows up at the very end when the number is displayed on the lifebar, so you'll make a match 3 with some strike tiles and it'll read as '1000', but on his lifebar it ends up as '-500'. It's very noticeable when Colossus has 30 yellow AP and you're trying to burn him down with strike tiles and found that it absolutely doesn't work.

If this is true, this did not use to be the case.
    You're right. It was the cause of a lot of complaining in the early days of this thread when IceIX confirmed that immovable object only modified base damage, not strikes or protects.
  • I'm not sure why people suddenly trust D3 to know everything about their own game on a mechanism that flashes up for half a second and is very hard to eyeball without having around 1000 damage worth of strike tiles. Immovable Object is one of those 'affects at the very end' abilities, like the retired '+20% damage vs Avengers' type and the game conveniently decides to add all your numbers together when you have multiple hits at the end, so for example if you did 3 hits for 800, 700, and 600 and it's all halved it'll neatly display that as '-1050' at the end. Given actual damage in game numbers will rarely look this nice you can easily see '-724' and it wouldn't occur to you that's the sum of 4 other random looking numbers divided by 2. I've been trying to test this for a long while and every time the numbers just flash too quickly for me to be certain that I didn't just miss something, until this Simulator came around where I can pile on 1000 strength worth of strike tiles on the overscaled nodes and then it's obvious that there's no way Colossus was taking what the apparent damage is.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Except Nick Fury, Mystique and Grey Widow, who works best/well with Colossus?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    That makes colossus slightly better.

If only there are ways to increase the countdown timer (Bagman has the ability but it doesn't target the CD).... Then colossus can be a better defence.

But now, Luke cage just does defence better.
  • Colossus's defense is fine. It's just having the best defense in the game against a position you never want to be in is not very useful. Like I said it took close to 1K worth of strike tiles before I was able to verify that he is indeed only taking half damage, so are you going to purposely let an enemy IMHB get an Overdrive in so you can tank his uber strike tiles + Repuslor Punch like a champ? It works for the AI because of their incredible level advantage means they can indeed dig themselves into a 1K strike tile hole and come out of it with Immovable Object. No player would ever be able to do that. It's true games don't always go your way, but Immovable Object only has an effect when things go spectcularly wrong and that's just not very reassuring to have a skill that is only useful during a catastrophic failure.
  • Runningwild
    Runningwild Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    In the last month, I've noticed Colossus' Colossal Punch ability not working correctly.

There have been times when I've used the ability whilst tin man is in front of my group and he doesn't do the bonus damage specified.

It has even failed to work when Immovable Object is in effect and the bonus damage has failed to fire. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't which is pretty frustrating.

Can someone please investigate this?