*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    pardon me if this has been asked before, but I just noticed it for the first time today:

why is Magneto's third powered colour yellow and not purple to match his power? IIRC pretty much every hero/villain has his power colours matched to his abilities, no?
  • pardon me if this has been asked before, but I just noticed it for the first time today:

why is Magneto's third powered colour yellow and not purple to match his power? IIRC pretty much every hero/villain has his power colours matched to his abilities, no?

In theory yes. But check Black Widow Grey Suit icon_e_smile.gif
  • Welp, just got my 4th red cover today, not sure what to do with it. I'd like to hold off until the nerfs, but it's not so easy for me to get reds from Lightning Rounds. I guess it's probably safe to use, since the red is the least likely to get nerfed to the ground, right?
  • I'm guessing there will be a change to red. I don't know what, but my feeling is that the devs are realizing that 2AP powers, almost no matter what they do, are really strong and fast, and therefore hard to balance.

I could see a balance to Magneto looking something like:
    - red: double damage (max at 266), costs 8 to start, 4 at level 5
    - blue: creates one blue tile that is 50% stronger, +1 AP at all levels
    - purple: damage based on lower of blue/red, not on blue, damage per swap lowered

Of course, this would still make Magneto one of, if not the, strongest characters in the game, so I expect the actual changes will be even more severe.

That being said, I'm guessing it will be 2-3 weeks before we see changes to Magneto (I think a change to Thor/Wolverine is coming no later than early next week, then Mawkeye maybe the week after, then Magneto, according to the order D3 posted), so if you think going above 3 in any power will help you between now and the change, it's almost certainly worth it.
  • I think alongside the 5AP minimum, they also said that increased levels merely reducing AP is bad design. Applies to Mags, but also Thor and Wolvie.
  • Interesting. Do you happen to have a link to that post handy? I'd like to see their reasoning -- I actually think that reducing AP cost, done right, is a really interesting design because the differences as you decrease AP, especially at the low end, significantly change how the power plays.
  • I think alongside the 5AP minimum, they also said that increased levels merely reducing AP is bad design. Applies to Mags, but also Thor and Wolvie.
    yea. Didn't say they wouldnt, as they could have changed something about iw yellow but didn't, but they did use it as rationale for the rag nerf. How Mich of that is covering for the nerf and how much real philosophy...who knows. The idea is that with ap lowering skills are too weak at skill one and possibly too strong at skill 5. Tends to make useless or op skills.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting. Do you happen to have a link to that post handy? I'd like to see their reasoning -- I actually think that reducing AP cost, done right, is a really interesting design because the differences as you decrease AP, especially at the low end, significantly change how the power plays.

Agree.

If all three powers are just -1 AP cost per level then, yes, it's boring/poor design. Your only choice is which power are you going to use less than the other two? Having one power that gets cheaper and two powers that get stronger/different can offer a very interesting choice - and I want to echo that sentiment that it can totally change the way in which a power or character plays.

I think the best example of this that is currently in game right now is OBW's Purple. It's actually a reverse of this idea, the power costs more but grows in scope with each level. 553 and 355 OBW are both viable builds, but offer very different play styles.

Since the minimum level for a power is going to be 3, perhaps make a power that gets slightly stronger for those first ranks, but is expensive, then offer -1 AP (maybe -2 even??!) for ranks 4 and 5. If you go all in and commit to 5 ranks, you get a discount off a nuke, but at the expense of one of your other abilities.
  • When I use Magneto I keep hearing 'Magnetic Field' in that creepy evil voice that I remember from some game... but I cant remember which.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    L45TN7 wrote:
    When I use Magneto I keep hearing 'Magnetic Field' in that creepy evil voice that I remember from some game... but I cant remember which.

You mean "Magnetic Tempest"? I do too, Iit's from Marvel vs Capcom 1-2, I loved using Magneto in that game, he had a cheesy infinite combo, fun times at the arcade
  • AdamMagus wrote:
    L45TN7 wrote:
    When I use Magneto I keep hearing 'Magnetic Field' in that creepy evil voice that I remember from some game... but I cant remember which.

You mean "Magnetic Tempest"? I do too, Iit's from Marvel vs Capcom 1-2, I loved using Magneto in that game, he had a cheesy infinite combo, fun times at the arcade

I always thought the purple move should be Magnetic Tempest.
  • Phantron wrote:
    AdamMagus wrote:
    L45TN7 wrote:

I always thought the purple move should be Magnetic Tempest.

Nah,"Welcome to die" is much more fitting!
  • Any definitive build? 5 3 5? or is it all up in the air at the moment?
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Liaomiao wrote:
    Any definitive build? 5 3 5? or is it all up in the air at the moment?

For now yes it is up in the air until we know how he's getting nerfed.

In the current state of the game most on this topic have chosen to go with 5 3 5. I can see why:

5 Blue - makes the ability cost nothing so you can spam it into T, L etc as long as you got some blues around.

5 Purple - makes you one-shot pretty much any character in the game.

3 Red - the players with 3 in red very likely have a character with a much stronger red, or they did (Ragnarok), so not many players on here used this ability

It all depends on your play style.

Personally I built my Magneto several months ago and I chose to go 4 5 4, it fits my playstyle perfectly.

4 Blue - Allows me to use it as often as I'd like at a cost of 6AP, not exactly free of cost as 5 in blue, but close enough that am still able to use it pretty often

5 Red - Allows me to clear up a **** board until it suits me, the damage is a joke but when you paired him up with pre nerf Wolverine that 2AP cost Red and a bunch of strike tiles were no joke. Post Wolverine nerf I've since changed my play style to something I don't see in many other teams I'm up against in PvP and 5 Red suits that play style perfectly

4 Purple - Still deals a huge chunk of damage, not as insane as 5 in purple, but I find that 5 purple may be overkill. With my playstyle and team lineup I find that by the time I gather the 10 purple needed my target should be low enough in health that with just 4 in purple I should kill most characters not named Hulk or Ragnarok. Sure there are times when you get a starting board filled with purple tiles and 5 in purple would allow you to down a character ASAP but that, like most things in this game, is pretty random. Also the insane price change of boosts made it so very few players are going to start the match with 6 purples right off the bat

TL;DR. Wait for the Magneto nerf if you can, though at the pace characters are being tuned it could either be 3 characters get nerfed this week or it could be just one in thr next 3 months, who knows, not sure how long you're willing to wait
  • AdamMagus wrote:
    Liaomiao wrote:
    Any definitive build? 5 3 5? or is it all up in the air at the moment?

For now yes it is up in the air until we know how he's getting nerfed.

In the current state of the game most on this topic have chosen to go with 5 3 5. I can see why:

5 Blue - makes the ability cost nothing so you can spam it into T, L etc as long as you got some blues around.

5 Purple - makes you one-shot pretty much any character in the game.

3 Red - the players with 3 in red very likely have a character with a much stronger red, or they did (Ragnarok), so not many players on here used this ability

It all depends on your play style.

Personally I built my Magneto several months ago and I chose to go 4 5 4, it fits my playstyle perfectly.

4 Blue - Allows me to use it as often as I'd like at a cost of 6AP, not exactly free of cost as 5 in blue, but close enough that am still able to use it pretty often

5 Red - Allows me to clear up a **** board until it suits me, the damage is a joke but when you paired him up with pre nerf Wolverine that 2AP cost Red and a bunch of strike tiles were no joke. Post Wolverine nerf I've since changed my play style to something I don't see in many other teams I'm up against in PvP and 5 Red suits that play style perfectly

4 Purple - Still deals a huge chunk of damage, not as insane as 5 in purple, but I find that 5 purple may be overkill. With my playstyle and team lineup I find that by the time I gather the 10 purple needed my target should be low enough in health that with just 4 in purple I should kill most characters not named Hulk or Ragnarok. Sure there are times when you get a starting board filled with purple tiles and 5 in purple would allow you to down a character ASAP but that, like most things in this game, is pretty random. Also the insane price change of boosts made it so very few players are going to start the match with 6 purples right off the bat

TL;DR. Wait for the Magneto nerf if you can, though at the pace characters are being tuned it could either be 3 characters get nerfed this week or it could be just one in thr next 3 months, who knows, not sure how long you're willing to wait

I personally run him at a 5/5/3 build and team him with a 5/3/5 patch and 5/3/5 hulk amazing damage when patch gets his strike tiles out and you spam the red.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Red move is cheap, but it doesn't do much damage...so I guess that's fine (even if it's annoying to watch him do that every single damn round).
    Blue move, not a problem.

But maybe it's just this event highlighting it, but my god is his purple move insanely powerful.
    When I looked at the level hundred-and-something Magneto, I saw the move did approx 500 damage. Then why did it kill my character outright, I wondered.
    Because it does 500 damage *for every red tile swapped* up to a maximum of thirteen. 5150 damage for a 10 purple tile move!? Is that just hands down the most powerful move in the game or something?

It just ends my game right there, usually. Especially in this PVE event. I struggle to take down Hood first because I'm sick of him stealing my AP every round. So sometimes I lose a character on the way. But then if they so happen to hoover up the purples, he hits me with that and instantly kills a character right afterwards. I thought maybe he was a powered up character, but he isn't! It's insane.
  • He's on the list of characters to be balanced. His purple is indeed very strong.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh good...I don't just suck at this.

I figured he'd be up for a balancing since he's one of those characters with a move you can upgrade to cost virtually nothing.
  • All his moves are way overpowered. The blue is like 'take an extra turn... or better yet take five extra turns' when it's used by a player. Red has insane synergy with strike tiles and its ratio is actually better than what most people thinks (you get the damage of tile destroyed + base, plus whatever cascade you might get). Purple just does way too much damage in general.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    He is just a bit overpovered in blue and red.

purple is not. Its damage is only "overpowered" when there is a lot of blue.
    There are lot of 3* abilities doing similar damage. Probably the only problem is, that most of them are red abilities.
    Magneto having it on purple -> two characters having high damage ability in one team - Probably this is the biggest problem in the developers aspect...