*** Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) ***

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is already a topic for discussing Wanda and her abilities.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28208
  • Add me to 'don't bother with more than 3 purple' group. For 14 AP Deadpool does twice her damage. Kamala for 12 Green and also coming with her accelerator will do over 50% more. Stun on Reality Crush takes way too much damage given it's random. Make it targetted and I can see point, but right now the only sure way to stun guy you want is to kill other two and using aoe ability after you singled final guy is extremely inefficient and kinda misses point. Just like you don't bring IF without blacktile.png user I wouldn't bring Wanda without (proper) purpletile.png user.

If they really want to make it random/chaotic at least make that 5 rounds on stun distributed randomly over entire team - have it roll 5 times at random enemy for 1 turn stun that stack. We don't have ability working like that as of yet.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Green is actually far more appealing the way it is now (generating 2x AP... by accident?). But if they ever fix it, I don't see a whole lot of extra benefit between 3 and 5. Purple can be a useful clean-up maneuver if you're running her with GSBW/PX, and sniper rifle cut everyone down to low health without killing anyone.
  • I got another scarlet witch green out of a standard recruit token. Putting it at my third green in a row. So now my scarlet witch is at 1/3/0. Great another blade/lcap for me. Where the only covers I get are the ones I don't want/need. I'm looking to create a 5/3/5 build with her since I don't have a single strong purple but that'll take ages at this rate
  • Nivrax wrote:
    If they really want to make it random/chaotic at least make that 5 rounds on stun distributed randomly over entire team - have it roll 5 times at random enemy for 1 turn stun that stack. We don't have ability working like that as of yet.
    Wouldn't happen, but a 5-turn CD that randomly stunned on each turn?
    - Unreall
  • Unknown
    edited June 2015
    Finally got my MPQ Simulator working. Ran Arcane Incantation 100000 times, using a random blue tile on a board.
    Results: Old incorrect odds
    Type/Distribution/AverageAP
    YELLOW 9.06484 1.49168
    RED 9.06025 1.48479
    BLUE 8.41296 1.22341
    PURPLE 9.97644 5.45325
    GREEN 9.06341 1.50002
    BLACK 9.06303 1.50009
    TEAMUP 9.06995 1.47885
    CRITICAL 0.28912 0.28801
    TOTAL 64 14.13209

No Match (or no blue) 2.775%
    Critical Match: 48.420%
    Other: 48.805%

edit - Extra possible critical match after resolution: 11.778% (still need to separate between the 3 groups, also, haven't fully tested this feature yet).

New corrected odds for old ability:
    YELLOW 9.07797 0.56719
    RED 9.0776 0.56849
    BLUE 8.30317 0.48247
    PURPLE 10.0726 4.46239
    GREEN 9.07572 0.56816
    BLACK 9.07929 0.56062
    TEAMUP 9.07785 0.56993
    CRITICAL 0.2358 0.20351
    TOTAL 64 7.77925

No match: 11.318%
    Critical Match: 41.075%
    Other match: 47.067%

Odds of crit move after resolve: 12.506%

A crit nearly half the time it goes off is not bad odds.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    daibar wrote:
    The only thing is that I could swear that the tile gets placed on an edge more often than dictated by random chance.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    I have pulled a lot of Wanda covers lately letting me use her while being powered up.
    She is 3/3/4

While she is fun to use let me explain my annoyances with her.

Reality Crush random stun: She kills Daken with her AoE, it stuns Daken instead of Ares who is still alive.
    Fix: Have the stun go off after the damage.

Arcane Incantation: While a bit wonky with placement, I don't mind that. It places pink ON TOP OF OTHER PINK.
    Fix: Don't let pink be put on top of already existing pink, only other colors.

I know this probably won't be read, but I can hope.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Esheris wrote:
    I have pulled a lot of Wanda covers lately letting me use her while being powered up.
    She is 3/3/4

Reality Crush random stun: She kills Daken with her AoE, it stuns Daken instead of Ares who is still alive.

Arcane Incantation: While a bit wonky with placement, I don't mind that. It places pink ON TOP OF OTHER PINK.

I'm pretty sure they designed her this way to fit with her character which is the "Chaos Witch." All 3 of her powers have some sort of randomness or "chaos" to them and are not supposed to be predictable. I still find her a fun character to use but I always bring along a better purple user like Deadpool or Fury.
  • Esheris wrote:
    She is 3/3/4

they're not gonna buff her AOE - look at what they did to Magstorm
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    With her buffed for the week, and since I'm the only person whose Scarlet Witch is better than his Iron Fist in terms of covers, I've been partnering her with Black Panther. It's a nice little team, especially in PvPs where the featured is a red user (Colossus followed by Psylocke).

As people have said, her purple really isn't that great. But it does a good job of mopping up after RotP, especially if Panther's strike tiles are out. Her green doesn't compare favorably to some of the high-damage greens in the game, but I actually really like it as a way to grab the last few black/yellow/purple needed to AoE the other guy into oblivion.
  • stowaway wrote:
    With her buffed for the week, and since I'm the only person whose Scarlet Witch is better than his Iron Fist in terms of covers, I've been partnering her with Black Panther. It's a nice little team, especially in PvPs where the featured is a red user (Colossus followed by Psylocke).

As people have said, her purple really isn't that great. But it does a good job of mopping up after RotP, especially if Panther's strike tiles are out. Her green doesn't compare favorably to some of the high-damage greens in the game, but I actually really like it as a way to grab the last few black/yellow/purple needed to AoE the other guy into oblivion.
    I think her green is a great compromise between the game-ending greens, the AP generating greens, and the need-to-be-buffed greens. It's an inexpensive, Mini Lightning Storm/Board shake.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    raisinbman wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    The stun being random is pretty awful. I've stunned a dead guy multiple times this pvp.
    Wellnot like they can create a 3*Storm because then ScarletStorm would be too powerful

This is from the interview where they introduced Wanda:
    Indeed you can. Wanda runs Purple/Green/Blue with each of her abilities taking on a different aspect of her chaos magic. Her Purple, Reality Crush, is her heavy hitter that deals damage and stuns opponents facing off against it. This attack deals heavy damage to the entire enemy team then stuns one enemy for a couple of turns. At max level her attack hits harder and stuns longer than MPQ fan favorite Storm (Classic)'s Wind Storm.

From this it says the damage should be dealt first, then the stun hits. In game the opposite happens. You stun a guy first and that one's often the one who gets killed. Also i expected the damage would be higher, since Storm buffed to lvl 150 hits a lot harder already. I still like her but it's very underwhelming.
  • Xenoberyll wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    The stun being random is pretty awful. I've stunned a dead guy multiple times this pvp.
    Wellnot like they can create a 3*Storm because then ScarletStorm would be too powerful

This is from the interview where they introduced Wanda:
    Indeed you can. Wanda runs Purple/Green/Blue with each of her abilities taking on a different aspect of her chaos magic. Her Purple, Reality Crush, is her heavy hitter that deals damage and stuns opponents facing off against it. This attack deals heavy damage to the entire enemy team then stuns one enemy for a couple of turns. At max level her attack hits harder and stuns longer than MPQ fan favorite Storm (Classic)'s Wind Storm.

From this it says the damage should be dealt first, then the stun hits. In game the opposite happens. You stun a guy first and that one's often the one who gets killed. Also i expected the damage would be higher, since Storm buffed to lvl 150 hits a lot harder already. I still like her but it's very underwhelming.
    never believe them until it's ingame, unless you'd like to call them out on it during the May Q&A.

I honestly don't think she's gonna get a buff. Look at how badly they maimed Magstorm. They're not gonna buff the lady who could theoretically Magstorm by herself.
  • simonsez wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    The only thing is that I could swear that the tile gets placed on an edge more often than dictated by random chance.

That's actually one of the best outcomes as it clusters the purples even tighter. Her countdown on an edge has an excellent chance to crit, as long as it's not in the corner. I posted this in another thread and forgot to migrate it back here:
    On the left edge, it automatically collapses into this shape (at least a match-3).
    none.pngpurpletile.png
    purpletile.pngpurpletile.png
    purpletile.pngpurpletile.png

So, if any one of these tiles are purple, you've a 100% chance at a crit.
    purpletile.pngblacktile.pngbluetile.png
    yellowtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png
    countdown.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.png
    yellowtile.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.png
    purpletile.pngblacktile.pngbluetile.png
    If instead any of those black tiles are a purple, you've got a line clear. Both blacks are purple => crit. If all tiles are random, you've got at least a 1 - ((6/7)^4* (48/49)) >= 47.1% chance

On the bottom, it collapses into this shape:
    purpletile.pngnone.pngpurpletile.png
    purpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.png

Giving you at least a match 3, and 3 spots where a purple makes a crit:
    bluetile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngbluetile.png
    bluetile.pngyellowtile.pngyellowtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png
    blacktile.pngyellowtile.pngcountdown.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.png
    Again, any purple makes a crit 100% of the time, both blacks make a crit 100%, 1 - ((6/7)^3* (48/49)) >= 38.3% chance of a crit

I've had decent success in moving nearby purples into the right position to make a crit. Doesn't happen all the time, but you can definitely increase the odds of chaos working in your favor. A >26.5% chance of making a line clear when the countdown is on the edge isn't too bad either (1 - (6/7)^2)

I seriously don't think she'll get a buff unless it's in terms of a 'fix' where the stun is done after the damage on her purple.
    raisinbman wrote:
    they're not gonna buff her AOE - look at what they did to Magstorm
    Magstorm was never the issue, it was magstique.
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2015
    Arcane Incantation is a solid crit generator; I have three problems with Wanda that are likely the same problems everyone else has posted:

1) Reality Crush's damage is underwhelming (yes, Arcane Incantation is great, but it's still 2,200 for 14, and it's... underwhelming)
    2) Arcane Incantation perceives purple as eligible tiles, which can foul up a strong critical opportunity (chaos be tinykitty'd, that makes no sense)
    3) Stacking Order befouls the basic strategy that all other AOEs employ. In theory:

-- Reduce first target to (damage threshold to be downed)
    -- Fire Reality Crush, down target
    -- Stun one of two remaining targets at random

This would be fine, except the stacking order goes like this:

-- Calculate and assign damage
    -- Apply effects
    -- Resolve damage
    -- Activate reactive abilities

Which means that you calculate 2,200, assign it, then stun the person who was just assigned damage to 0 HP but is not flagged as "downed," and still eligible to be stunned. Again, chaos be tinykitty'd, that isn't how that power should work. I love her. I understand there's going to be reticence around her abilities. But I'd like to see those things addressed to make her fully operational.
  • LuciferianX
    Oh, sorry, I should clarify one thing: The problem isn't Scarlet Witch, it's the Stacking Order itself. If you take Captain Marvel (3), and use Hypersonic Punch, you'll see that you can reduce a target to 0, then stun them, then down them. The fix isn't for Wanda, it's a game resolution step. Very familiar to people who play alot of deck builders and card games (which is actually how my brain manages MPQ) but a little alien if you aren't part of that world.
  • Oh, sorry, I should clarify one thing: The problem isn't Scarlet Witch, it's the Stacking Order itself. If you take Captain Marvel (3), and use Hypersonic Punch, you'll see that you can reduce a target to 0, then stun them, then down them. The fix isn't for Wanda, it's a game resolution step. Very familiar to people who play alot of deck builders and card games (which is actually how my brain manages MPQ) but a little alien if you aren't part of that world.

Problem is I'm pretty sure the order went in for Storm (Classic) and isn't going to change. Stun then damage is fine for every situation except random stun, so they need a special exception this one time for this one power.
  • LuciferianX
    150 Storm will easily overtake Wanda at 166; but in a direct breakdown:

2* Storm @ 94: 11 bluetile.png -- 1838, target lead off character for 4 Stun.
    Wanda @ 166: 14 purpletile.png -- 2,198 with a randomly assigned 5 Stun that may very well target a downed character.

Wanda was billed as the "better Storm," which is fine. I mentioned before I didn't have a problem with the random Stun assignment, my problem is random Stun to a downed target. I recognize the poster before me (sorry, honestly too tired & lazy to scroll, but consider this credit) saying that the decision was to avoid certain combinations of events, but IMHE it doesn't add up, the power should function as Storm's does -- down your target, freeze the second, focus on the 3rd (or if it's Hulk, Alpha Strike him). Whether they make that "Stun target with Highest Health" or "Stun Target with Strongest Aggregated AP" is not material to me; what matters is that she stop stunning dead people.

Second, they didn't (I'm uncertain why people keep saying this icon_e_confused.gif ) nerf MagStorm; they nerfed Magstique, because her random Purple/Black generation was often sufficient for Magneto to create 5 blue... which was sufficient to trigger... and so on. That was the issue. There's still plenty of efficacy around his purple and in fact (and I may be crazy, that's cool) I prefer the new version. It now has the potential to fuel both powers and does so in grand fashion. I can actually use my 3 Iron Hammer/5 Polarity Shift/5 Magnetic Flux build and see Magnetic Flux more than once every three matches. Joy!
  • daibar wrote:
    Boosted, I believe CStorm does 2588 damage, so CStorm's more effected boosted than SW not boosted.

This, coupled with the fact Deadpool is already doing 4,000 team damage with 14 purple, and I can concede Wanda might need a (very small) damage buff. If you fixed the randomly stunning a dead dude tho, the 4 turn to 5 turn stun is probably worth 3 AP, and so her damage should be pretty close to 2588 at level 166.