Moar Villains Week: Sandman

Options
ronin_san
ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
edited May 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
Who doesn't want more yellow with green and black!?! This guy does!

The Sandman (Classic). star.pngstar.pngstar.png 8750 HPs.
the-sandman-marvel-spider-man.jpg?format=original

greenflag.png Makeshift weapons. 13 AP.
923b.jpg
Sandman shapes his hands into weapons, dealing damage equal to the number of yellowtile.png tiles on the board. Deal 2500 dmg plus 1500 for every 5 yellow on the board.

:yellowflag: Sandstorm. 9 AP.
2334886-tumblr_m10cymnwos1qg8i80o1_400.jpg
Sandman places 2 attack.png tiles that obfuscate the enemy's visibility, stunning them one turn. Deal 350 damage per attack. If the sandstorm tile is destroyed, generate 3 yellowtile.png tiles.

blackflag.png Semisolid form. Active-Passive. 5 AP.
S3_sandman_punch.jpg
It's hard to land an attack on Sandman when you pass right through him. Generate a yellowtile.png tile any time an enemy ability is used on him. Activate this ability to stun the last enemy to attack him for one plus sandstorm attack.png tiles (quantity) turns not to exceed 3.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Green: averaging 9 yellow on a board, you're doing 7000 damage. It wouldn't be unexpected to do 8500 damage.

Yellow:
    Sandman places 2 attack.png tiles that obfuscate the enemy's visibility. Deal 350 damage per attack. If the sandstorm tile is destroyed, generate 3 yellowtile.png tiles.

I'm confused by this one. What is the sandstorm tile and what does it do? Obfuscating the enemy's visibility sounds like a way to dull their attacks, eg shields instead of strikes.

Black: Generate a yellowtile.png tile any time damage is dealt to him. That's straight up OP. If you have a cascade that hits 3 times, he's putting 3 yellow on the board. An attack tile? That's another yellow tile. Needs a damage threshold at minimum.

Am not understanding the active part of this either. Are you attacking and stunning one enemy? Does it destroy your own attack tiles? Further are sandstorm tiles a special type of attack tile that procs differently than other attack tiles?
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I flew through it last night, just rattling off some abilities. I'll clarify.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    yellowflag.png needs to be a cage type shield tile. it is worded like a defensive.

I like the yellow tile generation of his blackflag.png passive, put him with Cage, 2 passive defensive tiles plus a yellow generator, this would be a mess to fight in PVP!
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok I like the concepts, but agree that the abilities could be tweaked a little.

Health seems about right. I'd be tempted to bump it up to the next tier since except that I'm going to give him some healing, so let's leave it at 8750.
    Colours are great. This is one of the few times that we might actually get abilities matching the character's colour scheme. I still want to swap them around a bit; moving Yellow to strongest colour.

yellowflag.pngSemi-solid Mass (Active Yellow, 9 AP)
    Sandman is able to absorb and incorporate sand, dirt, and even rock particles from the surrounding area into his body, rapidly reforming to recover from an attack.

Destroy up to 3 random Yellow basic tiles, gaining X health for each. Does not generate AP.
    Rank 2: Can also destroy attack, protect or strike tiles.
    Rank 3: For each special tile destroyed, create a Yellow protect tile of the same strength.
    Rank 4: Increase health gained.
    Rank 5: Destroy up to 5 tiles.

Warning! True Healing ability approaches! Don't worry, I made cost yellow AP AND scale the strength of the heal off yellow tiles destroyed, so it evens out. Mostly.
    Healing and Protection are two very "yellow" type traits, and absorbing the surrounding grains of sand (yellow tiles) to reform his body is a very Sandman type trait. I don't know if there's much more to explain, Sandman uses the yellow on the board to reform his body, and any special tiles are converted to enhance his mass.

blackflag.pngSandstorm (Active Black, 6 AP)
    Sandman converts a part of his mass into a vicious sandstorm to engulf his enemies.

Deals X damage to Sandman and creates 2 Yellow attack tiles.
    Rank 2: Self damage reduced.
    Rank 3: Create 4 attack tiles.
    Rank 4: Create 6 attack tiles.
    Rank 5: Create 8 attack tiles.
    Max Level: Deals 875 self-damage, creates 8 strength 109 Yellow attack tiles.

At first, I was just going to make this a Yellow version of Hailstorm, but since I want the yellow tiles to represent a part of Sandman's mass it made sense to switch this to Black. That's ok, because Hailstorm sets a precedent for attack tile spam. Although Sandstorm doesn't quite fill up the board in the same way. It's cheaper, in terms of AP cost, however it does include an additional cost to Sandman's own health - lucky he can absorb that sand back in to heal up if he needs it. Also, this ability "creates" yellow attack tiles - it doesn't necessarily convert existing yellow basic tiles. This means that you'll always get 8 attack tiles added to the board; you may even get 8 yellow tiles added to the board, although if they appear next to any existing yellow tiles they may auto match. And lastly, if you haven't already done the math, at max level his attack tiles are dealing (in total) about the same amount of damage Sandman takes in creating the Sandstorm.

greenflag.pngMakeshift Weapons (Active Green, 10 AP)
    Sandman shapes his hands into weapons to crush his enemies

Convert up to 2 friendly yellow attack tiles into strike tiles, then deal X damage.
    Rank 2: Increased damage.
    Rank 3: Convert up to 3 tiles.
    Rank 4: Can also target friendly protect tiles.
    Rank 5: Convert up to 4 tiles.
    Max Level: Convert up to 4 friendly attack or protect tiles into strike tiles, then deal 2406 damage.

No need to get too fancy here. I think the pattern should be obvious by now: Sandman alters yellow tiles to fit the situation. Note that the strike tiles are created and then you hit, which is the reverse of almost every other similar ability. Obvious synergy with Sandstorm here, and I'm keeping the Strikes on yellow which means they could always end up being reabsorbed and converted into protect tiles by Semi-solid Mass.

So there you have it, Sandman puts his body on the board and shapes to fit the situation. A self-healing, tanky, brawler.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    O
    blackflag.pngSandstorm (Active Black, 6 AP)
    Sandman converts a part of his mass into a vicious sandstorm to engulf his enemies.

Deals X damage to Sandman and creates 2 Yellow attack tiles.
    Rank 2: Self damage reduced.
    Rank 3: Create 4 attack tiles.
    Rank 4: Create 6 attack tiles.
    Rank 5: Create 8 attack tiles.
    Max Level: Deals 875 self-damage, creates 8 strength 109 Yellow attack tiles.

With Sentry and now IMHB having this type of ability, i would go with your first thought. A hailstorm type, since it is actual rocks hitting you in the face. You could even incorporate unmatched tiles into his greenflag.png (he redirects the remains of his storm into one mighty pelt)