Phil Coulson: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Options
ronin_san
ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
edited May 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
Why wouldn't we want a Coulson, who could be the 3* equivalent of Fury?

star.pngstar.pngstar.png Phil Coulson. Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
6200 HPs
67a4e4dc90cfc48a5d6b25caf8200166-d53ddb8.jpg

redflag.pngThe Big Gun. 10 AP
601px-TheAvengersUnknown.jpg
Agent Coulson wields experimental shield technology, firing a blast that destroys a row of tiles (of your choosing) and deals 1500 DMG to the enemy. The cost is decreased based on the number of attack.png tiles in play, potentially dropping the cost to 7AP. Fully covered, deal damage to the enemy team.

blackflag.pngNothing to see here 12 AP
Phillip_Coulson_(Earth-12131)_001.png
Coulson calls in a S.H.I.E.L.D. strike, sending a fire team, evacuation of civilians, relief efforts, and counterintelligence to deny their presence.
Deal 500 Damage to the enemy team. IF you have 5 blacktile.png in your AP reserves, increase this by 500.
Destroy one tile of each color on the board, gaining it. IF you have 5 purpletile.png in your AP reserves, increase this to 3.
Heal your team for 500. If you have 5 greentile.png in your AP reserves, increase this by 750.
Place 3 protect.png tiles of strength 70. If you have 5 :Yellow: AP in your reserves, increase the protect.png tile count to 5.
Place 2 attack.png tiles of strength 40. If you have 5 redtile.png in your AP reserves, increase the attack strength to 80.
Stun the enemy for one turn. If you have 5 bluetile.png in your AP reserves, stun the entire team one turn.

yellowflag.pngBelief in the Greater Good. Passive.
Agent-of-Coulson-Alive-Theory-Captain-America-Super-Soldier.jpg
Agent Coulson is a great motivator, and is able to bring out the best in his team. Whenever a teammate takes damage from an enemy ability, Agent Coulson picks them back up. Place a two turn countdown tile that, when it hits ZERO, gains one AP of every color. At max level, gain 2 AP.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Possibly your best one yet.

Done.
  • Nabistay
    Nabistay Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I love it!
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ack, his black is too wordy! Maybe just make it key off of blue, green and purple?
    It also has issues. It costs 12 blacktile.png but has a "5 Black in reserves.." clause. Does that mean you need 17 to get the bonus damage? With just the purpletile.png effect it would almost be worth the cost by itself (destroying the board and getting a bunch of AP back). Everything else is pretty fair.
    What if, instead, it was a cheap black attack (e.g. 6) that also consumed 5 AP in your largest color pool, if able, creating a bonus effect based on that color. So instead of being a Avengers Assemble! type nova, it's a swiss-army knife power with some fun choices (e.g. "Oh, if I make one more purple match before activating it, I can shake the board instead of creating protect tiles"). Or not, sounds like that would still be really wordy.

I like the Yellow. The colors of AP gained would have to increase (or countdown decrease) over the rank progression but it's really nice passive AP gain that's not broken. If you're getting a ton of AP out of it it means the enemy is hosing you.

Finally I don't know what I think about redtile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.png , there's a lot of that going around these days. Already 4 3-stars anyway. I suppose since Greater Good is passive it could be any color (Green or Blue echoes Loki or Hood, respectively). Even though the Big Gun is a reddish power, it might be better in a different color, like Purple, as he's not really a heavy-hitter and thematically it's a sneaky unexpected strike, not simply innate power. Just going by "feel", he seems more like a greentile.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.png mascot type rather than a redtile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.png heavy-hitter like Cyc, Cage, or Capt. Marvel. And Colossus. (They all start with C, odd.) Or maybe a bluetile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.png .
  • ronin_san
    Options
    Read Fury's "Avengers Assemble" and tell me how to reword it. That is what I was going for.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't know if a formatting change will save it. Mostly I think it's unwieldy because one power has six effects. Fury's power is less complex, and still leaves out a lot of information (e.g. "Hulk smashes.")

If you're set on keeping it as is, the following simplification would help the text be readable. (Reiterate for every clause).
    "Heal your team for 500. If you have 5 greentile.png in your AP reserves, increase this by 750."
    becomes
    "Heal your team for 500, or 1250 if you have at least 5 Green AP."

I'd suggest simplifying it to one basic effect, with a couple bonus triggers. At the very least you could cut one color from the specials (the color used to activate it). I've simplified it further in this version of the power that I'm color-shifting Coulson to greentile.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.png for the purposes of the spec (which keys off of blacktile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.png) but you could just keep it black and have it key off of greentile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.png .

yellowflag.png "Nothing to See Here" 12 AP
    Coulson diverts some of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s vast resources to improve the situation. Gives allies a burst of 500 health and stuns the target for 1 turn. Three S.H.I.E.L.D. agents arrive to create 2 special tiles. Each agent creates 2 additional tiles if you have at least 5 AP in their color: Protect (Blue), Attack (Red), or Strike (Black).
      Rank 2: Agents create 3 special tiles of each type. Rank 3: Heals allies by 1000 and stuns the enemy team for 1 turn. Rank 4: Stuns the target for 2 turns. Special tiles are created at higher strength. Rank 5: Agents create 4 special tiles of the corresponding type.

Notice how clean the power is. It loses the unpredictability and complexity of relying on all 6 AP types, but is comparable to your original spec (without the damage, which I replaced with strike tiles, and the absurd AP gain/cascadeath from purple). Tile strength could vary based on type (you might want to make the strikes a little weaker than the protects) but since that all scales with level it's not super important to have in the description; all we know is, we use the power, We heal, we get a stun, and we make 6 special tiles, or up to 18 if we have enough AP at max rank; they're good tiles.

Still, from a design perspective this is still way over the top for a 2* character. 2*'s need to be simple so new players can easily grasp what they offer. Fury and Kingpin can have crazy complicated powers because they're designed for experts. Even Big Gun's dynamic price adds unnecessary bloat to the power (And synergy is weak; Besides Phil, only Human Torch creates attack tiles at the 2* tier); does it really add much excitement?
  • ronin_san
    Options
    I edited. If you read the top line, I do say he's a 3*. I just forgot to add the star.png