*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Comments

• remylebeau wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:
    ICE, im not criticizing the decision here. i myself am a 4 cover level 30 patch owner and agree that letting him go for a few weeks broken wont make a huge difference on the meta.

i was really attempting to speak to a larger point about things being done correctly rather than things appearing to be thrown together fast and sloppily.

i also kniw that i am in the minority wih my desire here. i personally would rather wait 1/2 weeks for new content that is proper rather than to have some jurry-rigged solution.

ill also be the first to say that i will 100% enjoy the "boosted" patch while he lasts. i plan to take full advantage of whatever benefits that he will provide me and my squad.

i just wanted to put my thoughts out there about quality and what i think that they mean to this game.

easy...marc

Lol, that's cute, somebody who admittedly has no background in software or coding would like every software release to be perfect. As IceIX said, this wasn't picked up during the tested cycle, so no bug was reported, so test sign off was achieved. Sure, they found the bug afterwards, but I would support the decision to distribute the release, as
    - This bug is non critical
    - Does not impact functionality.
    You're still getting the new content (new episode) that is proper, and there's no 'jury-rigging' of anything, there's just a low priorty defect that's been identified, and will be resolved in the next release.
    Also, if it the delay to get this non-critical bug fixed is 2 weeks, that means every schedule is pushed out two weeks, which means new characters and new episodes. There's obviously a lot more to consider than just 'oh, they've rushed a release out'.

Remy, please explain to me what about my comments would prompt you to say that i "would like every software release to be perfect"?

In actuality, i think my comments represent the fact that i'm willing to roll with the punches of this game and it's development. Since just about day 1, i have supported, adapted, and grown with the changes to this game and still managed to have some fun.

If you read my post that you quoted above, and then your reply post in quick succession...they are saying essentially the same thing.

i look forward to your reply, but i think you might have just jumped the gun with your comments.

Either way, to each his own. marc
  • djsquillz wrote:
    ICE, im not criticizing the decision here. i myself am a 4 cover level 30 patch owner and agree that letting him go for a few weeks broken wont make a huge difference on the meta.

i was really attempting to speak to a larger point about things being done correctly rather than things appearing to be thrown together fast and sloppily.

i also kniw that i am in the minority wih my desire here. i personally would rather wait 1/2 weeks for new content that is proper rather than to have some jurry-rigged solution.

ill also be the first to say that i will 100% enjoy the "boosted" patch while he lasts. i plan to take full advantage of whatever benefits that he will provide me and my squad.

i just wanted to put my thoughts out there about quality and what i think that they mean to this game.

easy...marc

i side with the devs here. this is not about making sloppy releases. **** happens and in this case they have to make a decision and i think they are making the correct one.

delaying the release would mean having a good percentage of players stop playing while waiting for new content.
  • A mistake was made. It was caught before release. A reasonable decision was made. We were informed in advance.

Well handled I say.
  • A mistake was made. It was caught before release. A reasonable decision was made. We were informed in advance.

Well handled I say.

Agreed. I'm happy they've come out and publicly acknowledged there is an issue and it'll be fixed. I'm also happy I get to play with my level 35 "boosted" Patch for a couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll be disappointed when they fix him, but hey, at least I know about it in advance this time icon_e_smile.gif
  • And I don't know who will have level patch yet, because 4 times a low strikes tiles apart from countering daken won't help much if resulting added damage is lower that one wolvie 85 strike tile.
  • Is anyone considerating 4/4/5?
  • Is anyone considerating 4/4/5?

It seems like a reasonable build, since the red and the green both have the potential to overkill at level 5.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2014
    Is anyone considerating 4/4/5?

I think to determine if 5/3/5, 4/4/5, or 3/5/5 will require some math and theory crafting.

After lvl 2 all you increase per lvl is strike tiles, not direct damage, with red you do increase the damage per lvl but at what point is it overkill?

Red's damage however is based on how many tiles have a claw on them, not strike tiles, so depending on your team's make up, red could be a little lackluster thus needing lvl 5 red. Face it, if this guy gets max leveled he's probably going to be taking the red, green, and yellow spots on your team. 64 tiles, 7 possible tiles (not counting crit) means you would have 3 of the possible 7 meaning you would have roughly 27 Wolvie tiles on the board. you have to figure 9 tiles per color for each color the champ is the best for.

Where is getting more strike tiles but also giving strike tiles become a disadvantage. He takes 9 AP to go off vs. current 2* wolvie whose only 3. Most of the time you get 2 strike tiles but only on red, these strike tiles will go anywhere.

I don't know, this guy is very tricky to build, I think you can justify 3/5/5, 4/4/5, and 5/3/5 all depending on your other champs and style of play, which is great that he allows alot more freedom in building. Obviously if you go 5/3/5 the extra strike tiles will help the damage from red and possibly make up for the loss in damage by not going lvl 5 in red, however, the trade off is that you are giving the other team more strike tiles. is giving them an extra 2-4 strke tiles and you getting 2-4 less worth not having the extra damage in red?

Wolvie(patch) is meant to create damage on both sides, while being able to absorb that damage with his healing until he can go off on a target with red. Numbers as is if you do the combo of green, then Red, and assume you have 27 tiles bearing your icon, strike tiles do 24 damage.

5/3/5 build: Green: 237 damage, 6 strike tiles. Red activated (27x16)=432 plus 144 from strike tile damage. total 813
    4/4/5 build: Green: 237 damage, 4 strike tiles. Red activated (27x22)=594 plus 96 from strike tile damage. total 927
    3/5/5 build: Green: 237 damage, 3 strike tiles. Red activated (27x35)=945 plus 72 from strike tile damage. total 1017

So as you can see, if you go straight combo 3/5/5 build is the best, but......you give up strike tile damage of all your other matches building up to the nuke, so you have the better nuke but less overall damage. 5/3/5 is the least nuke damage but you will get more out of your other matches and damages, but you are going to be taking an extra 72 damage from them.

After seeing this, I'm thinking 5/3/5 or is the better build the damage from lvl 3 to lvel 4 red is not much, yes you are going to take more damage from strike tiles but you will be doing a lot more. That being said, this assumes you only have 27 strike tiles. If you have more strike tiles with wolvies symbol then 4/4/5 or 3/5/5 will be a better build I'm thinking. Especially if you have very few 3 stars, and you decided to make Wolvie(patch) your main source of damage, I'm thinkin gthose would be better builds. Either way you can justify a build.

Using same numbers, but assuming you build up to the red 5/3/5. 3 matches of green needed at 150 a piece would be 450. You then use green for 237. Total damage is 687 and you added 6 tiles. You now go to make 5 matches of red at 150 plus 144 from strike tiles you get 1470 leading up to red, grand total so far 2157. You then fire red at 27x16 = 576 plus 2157 you did 2733 leading up to your red nuke. 4/4/5 in that example gets you 2607, and 3/5/5 gets you 2814. So in this example 4/4/5 is the worst build for overall damage, 3/5/5 is the best but I'm still leaning towards 5/3/5 as this example shows the direct path and no other matches in between, which every match in between with extra strike tiles makes the 5/3/5 build superior
  • @phaserhawk if he's that hard to build I think it means the devs did a good job and most likely any build is fine?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    @phaserhawk if he's that hard to build I think it means the devs did a good job and most likely any build is fine?

agreed
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    @phaserhawk if he's that hard to build I think it means the devs did a good job and most likely any build is fine?

agreed

At last one character with more than 1 viable way to use.
  • Just tried him out after the new update went live and the dmg from the strike tiles bug is insane. I feel sorry for everyone without one in upcoming events lol.
  • L45TN7 wrote:
    Just tried him out after the new update went live and the dmg from the strike tiles bug is insane. I feel sorry for everyone without one in upcoming events lol.

Or without a Loki to counter, I guess. easy way around worrying about him, turn all those strike tiles into protect tiles.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    L45TN7 wrote:
    Just tried him out after the new update went live and the dmg from the strike tiles bug is insane. I feel sorry for everyone without one in upcoming events lol.

What build and what level?
  • I'm going to guess he does ~90 per strike tile, so +1080 per turn?
  • I'm going to guess he does ~90 per strike tile, so +1080 per turn?
    1RkQ8mv.jpg?1

mines lvl 137 atm
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Ahh, ok, mines only 222. cant get anywhere near level 137. my max level is 51. wonder if its worth the iso to level him up. wish i knew how long until the next update. Will he be any good after the fix?
  • Wow. 140 is ridiculous. Punisher is only 100 iirc and he can only get 3. Even without the bug, thats +840 damage.
  • Thanos wrote:
    Ahh, ok, mines only 222. cant get anywhere near level 137. my max level is 51. wonder if its worth the iso to level him up. wish i knew how long until the next update. Will he be any good after the fix?

main reason why i wanted to lvl him up was because i like passive healing (less health packs), but what I realized was that he actually has really weak match powers, so unless you get him to a really high level (100+), he won't be at the front, (IIRC, my 2* wolverine and thor were both out-matching him when he was lvl 9x), but if you are just using him for strike tile, then I would consider leveling him if your green is generating more than 3 tiles per cast, otherwise 2* wolverine is better
  • 2-star characters reach their peak at level 85 so they are stronger than 3-star characters at the same level. 3-star characters begin to surpass 2-star in color strengths around level 99.