*** Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) ***

Comments

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    That Squirrel Girl is one tough nut to crack!
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Storm being weak kinda makes sense, she's forever getting knocked out and knocked about. In the 90s cartoon anyway =P
    'Swhy she flies so she's less punchable.

Black Widow though I suppose it's because she's not meant to be front line. She's espionage focused, so she's sniping and wreckin' yo plans from a distance. You don't put your sniper in the fox hole with the grunts.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2015
    There's a good reason for the her health amount. The magic eight ball called on sick that day, so the the pick a number out of the hat rng had to pull double duty. Either that or they compared sg ' s role in the game to other characters such as loki, storm, 4or, bagman, etc. They decided she was less loki support role but not up to l cap fighter status, so they gave her tweener health like blade who appears to have a similar role. I'm not sure which method, but I'm rooting for the hat. Teach the eight ball a lesson for calling on sick on a Friday.

Edit changed hood to blade
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Squirrel Girl is a mutant with enhanced strength and resistance to physical harm. GSBW is a human (with enhanced agility and healing, but neither of those helps her take a hit like Colossus, she can just dodge better and recover from injuries faster) and Storm's powers don't make her physically tough. Why would they have more health than her?
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am pretty sure that HP total is first a function matter (created and tested along the character abilities and used as one of the knobs they can twist when balancing) and a flavour matter second. For SG specifically they implied that she'd have lower health mechanically, but they buffed it up a bit to add her "invincible" slogan flavour.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    HP selection process:

VvqEN1d.jpg
  • It seems all the females except her and possibly The Goddess (not sure on that one ) have Far less life points than their male counterparts...
  • It's because Squirrel Girl one time defeated Dr. Doom by herself.
  • Having faced Squirrel Girl more and more, I think she's one of the more underrated characters in the game right now. I think her with Patch is one of the best one/two combos on opponents with higher health than Daredevil can handle.

Berserker Rage: 2087 damage (1044 strikes)
    Nuts from Above: 2416 + 539*6 + 1044 = 6694
    In contrast, Daredevil will do: 2870 + 1044 = 3914

Makes it much easier to use this is as a finisher, particularly against tanks.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    daibar wrote:
    Having faced Squirrel Girl more and more, I think she's one of the more underrated characters in the game right now. I think her with Patch is one of the best one/two combos on opponents with higher health than Daredevil can handle.

Berserker Rage: 2087 damage (1044 strikes)
    Nuts from Above: 2416 + 539*6 + 1044 = 6694
    In contrast, Daredevil will do: 2870 + 1044 = 3914

Makes it much easier to use this is as a finisher, particularly against tanks.
    Isn't it 888, not 1044?

The problem I'd have with this combo is that SG doesn't get rid of the tiles. If you've got a move you can only use as a finisher, you might not still be around to use it. I'd rather get out BR with Daredevil or Loki as soon as possible.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    But on the other hand she can place those protect tiles after to mitigate some of the damage Patch's tiles will do.
    Still, Daredevil is better match with Patch IMO too, because of no overlap on green and both blue and red that combo very well with strike tiles.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    After using her some in the heroic she really isn't that bad. Damage on purple is hard to come by and her green is decent. I would change her yellow to the following:
      The Bigger They Are 9 yellowtile.png
      The unbeatable Squirrel Girl rolls up her sleeves and faces off against an opponent twice her size. Creates 2 Yellow Protect tiles with 22 strength, or strength 33 if the target enemy has 80% or more health. Stuns target enemy and herself for 1 turn.
        Level 2: Creates
      3 Protect tiles with strength 28, or strength 39 if the target enemy has 80% or more health.
      Level 3: Creates Protect tiles with strength 44 if the target enemy has 80% or more health. Stuns target for 2 turns (if the target enemy has 80% or more health).
      Level 4: Creates Protect tiles with strength 55 if the target enemy has 80% or more health. Stuns target for 3 turns (if the target enemy has 80% or more health).
      Level 5: Creates 4 Protect tiles with strength 61 if the target enemy has 80% or more health. Stuns target for 3 turns and enemy team for 1 turn (if the target enemy has 80% or more health).
      Max Level: lvl3=88/139, lvl4=88/173, lvl 5=88/191

Rather than end turn she stuns herself and target enemy, gains team stun (like 1* BW) with 5 covers. The italics "if target has 80% hp" for stun clause may be needed for balance purposes. Protect tiles may need to get nerfed or the cost may need to get increased to compensate, play testing would be required. Would make her yellow very desirable at the 3* level and she'd have one of the better purple AP dumps. Thematically I like how she's keeping the strongest enemy (or the entire enemy team) busy by herself, overcoming stacked odds.
    • pabasa130
      pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
      So I've had the (mis)fortune of getting 11 of her covers for a 4/4/3 purely from token draws, and if I levelled her up she'd be one of the highest characters I have.

Unfortunately she doesn't play well with any other characters I have at the top. I have a 127 R7G - overlap with Green, a 120 3*Thor - overlap with Green AND yellow, 110 Blade - overlap with purple, 105 Black Widow - Overlap with Green and Purple, and a bunch of other overlaps.

Insofar I've used her, her yellow is very, very good, and her purple is a cheap nuke if you can go against an enemy with lots of special tiles. Her green for me however is underwhelming especially when compared with other green users.

I'd love to use her more (awesome animation, regardless of usefulness of abilities), but I just can't find a good partner for her. Suggestions on how and when to best use her?
    • hesjingixen
      hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
      Well, as far as color combinations, Psylocke is her natural ally, since between the two of them, they cover all 6 colors. Additionally, the strike tiles from Psylocke will help amplify the extra damage from SG's green. Also, since her green only eliminates basic tiles, it shouldn't ever (directly) destroy Psylocke's strike, attack, or countdown tiles; it might cause cascades that do, but it at least it won't kill them directly.
    • ynglink
      ynglink Posts: 195
      Been using SG for the Sentry modes of the Ultron Event and man is she good for this. Purple just nukes them for cheap and the yellow keeps you alive regardless of what drops down. I've gotten her decked out at 4/5/4 from just random token drops.
    • Phaserhawk
      Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
      Well since we know we will be seing Ultron bots from now on (they don't spend that much time on characters not to use them), having 5 purple became mandatory. 3/5/5 still makes most sense but if you have really good green users with no yellow, then 5/5/3 is also fine.
    • dkffiv
      dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
      She's good in Ultron but terrible in this heroic. She's too slow, her green needs to be dropped to 9 AP as even with 5 covers its hard to come out AP positive. Would be nice if green did like 150 damage per tile destroyed (frequently 4 go off and do a total of less than 100 damage / don't generate cascades) - ramp up the per destroyed tile damage and reduce the CD reaching 0 damage to compensate.

Yellow is pretty bad and I don't think you can justify 5 in it.
    • Buret0
      Buret0 Posts: 1,591
      She's been fantastic versus the Ultron sentries. I've got her at 3/3/3 and she's been the must have third member of my node busting party.

Cheap nuke from the Pink.
      Strong damage prevention from the Yellow (assuming you aren't already covered with Luke Cage)
      Cascades and strong CD tile damage from the Green.

You just need to take out the air strikes and the core sentries first to keep her CD and protect tiles in play.

Her Green is essentially AP neutral, but if you include the AP generated from the random tile smashing, you usually come out ahead.
      I usually hide her behind Hulk or Scarlet Witch + whatever the essential character is.
    • hurcules
      hurcules Posts: 519
      Indeed, she's a star against special tiles spammers.

Try this fun combo on Hulk essential nodes: Hulk/Psylocke/Squirrel Girl. Hulk tanks black for Psylocke and Green for Squirrel girl. Furry Friends gets enhanced by Psylocke's strike tiles.
    • has she always had a squirrel on her shoulder? is that new?

has to be new.