*** Beast (Classic) ***

Comments

• I've been hearing a lot of "oh now we just use beast with professor X!

When the best thing you can say for a character is "hey, one of his skills are cheap, it triggers PX yellow" that character just might still suck.
  • ArkPrime wrote:
    I've been hearing a lot of "oh now we just use beast with professor X!

When the best thing you can say for a character is "hey, one of his skills are cheap, it triggers PX yellow" that character just might still suck.

yeah... but... lets say your prof is 3/5/5 and your beast is 5/5/3 after one blue trigger you have 2 prot, 2 attack, and 2 strike tiles on the board. after prof x'es purple you start adding 900+power to those tiles for each prof x match and then his green does an 2000 aoe which is amplified by the now huge strike tiles and the cascade from that ability which does not hit your special tiles(cascade could though) can trigger prof'x s blue for extra dmg and ap.

You can see how that might be good right?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    ArkPrime wrote:

yeah... but... lets say your prof is 3/5/5 and your beast is 5/5/3 after one blue trigger you have 2 prot, 2 attack, and 2 strike tiles on the board. after prof x'es purple you start adding 900+power to those tiles for each prof x match and then his green does an 2000 aoe which is amplified by the now huge strike tiles and the cascade from that ability which does not hit your special tiles(cascade could though) can trigger prof'x s blue for extra dmg and ap.

Good points,
    I look at Beast now as when he is buffed he is playable. If you look at blue green as his primary abilities, you can match him with Blade to double dip on strike tiles. You can run him with cyclops for could color diversity.
    He will not be the main cog in a deep roster, but when he is buffed, he will be playable in PVP and PVE. For middle tier characters can you ask for more than that?
    Beast is not the best 3*, but if you wanted to use him you can, and if you face him, he can do som damage to you. That is much better than before.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    ArkPrime wrote:

Yes, professor X is pretty good. I fail to see how Beast is relevant there. Iron fist comes with a 500dmg attack tile tacked on and can trigger PX for 5 purple. Cage comes with a protect tile and triggers with 2 black matches. Hell, even Daken can produce tiles and trigger faster.

There is no shortage with characters that make special tiles for very little AP, and they're basically all better than Beast.

Any AoE does big damage with tons of strike tiles out. That's because any *thing* does big damage with enough strike tiles out. Beast still does very little damage, blue is random - you can easily just get protect tiles - and yellow might as well not be there.
  • ArkPrime wrote:

Yes, professor X is pretty good. I fail to see how Beast is relevant there. Iron fist comes with a 500dmg attack tile tacked on and can trigger PX for 5 purple. Cage comes with a protect tile and triggers with 2 black matches. Hell, even Daken can produce tiles and trigger faster.

There is no shortage with characters that make special tiles for very little AP, and they're basically all better than Beast.
  • ECOcrush
    ECOcrush Posts: 86 Match Maker
    No one is talking about it, even on his character discussion page but I'm curious what people think of the new Beast.

For some reason he was one of those characters for me that I just kept getting covers for so I had been holding him in my roster waiting for his buff. It's finally here and I have to say, I like him.

He would be great with Falcon but I think he's also great with tanks like Colossus and maybe Thor since he can heal and doesn't compete with characters with strong blackflag.png and redflag.png .

Since he was garbage for so long I'm sure not many people have him and that's why he's not being discussed much but given all the bad we've gotten from all these changes, I think he's a decent positive...
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    I will personally level him to at least 100 when the iso changes go into effect to test him out due to his cheap blue and decent green power (especially considering how trash X-Force green is now).

To me he seems like a lower tier Grocket with a cheaper blue with the advantage being the countdown timer is only 1 turn at 5 covers and green does group damage. His yellow is still abysmal but at least you can control when it goes off unlike Grocket. He has been brought out of the gutter but his overall usefulness remains to be tested.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's a quicker less beefy version of R&G. Basically if there is a matchup you would use R&G but need faster skills Beast is perfect, but essentially they are the same character now
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    He's a quicker less beefy version of R&G. Basically if there is a matchup you would use R&G but need faster skills Beast is perfect, but essentially they are the same character now

So a good team up with prof x or kamala, full health all the time.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    I never thought I'd say this -- but I absolutely love using Beast now, and am planning to max him out after She-Hulk (still favoring a 5/5/3 build.)

The drop in cost and random placement of his blueflag.png is very welcome, but I think the #1 change people aren't quite noticing/valuing yet is that his greenflag.png now only destroys basic tiles. This is a major buff not just to Beast, but to any other special tile creator/spammer he may be grouped with. You may still lose a few of your own tiles due to a resulting cascade, but Beast's green is now essentially a "smart" version of Unstoppable Crash meets lighter version of Rage Of The Panther. It's great.
  • ECOcrush
    ECOcrush Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Actually, I only have 4 Blue covers and his countdown timer is just 1 turn. The 5th cover will make him create 3 special tiles instead of 2.

I think his Yellow is pretty decent now. I only have two covers and it recovers over 1000 hp across the whole team and creates an additional protect tile.

I was a Grocket fan but Beast is making me a believer.
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    He actually has some good synergy with Wanda. With her, you don't need to think about getting a special blue tile since she does it for you. Then his green and yellow get significantly better. Pair with a red/black (Cyclops is probably ideal here) and you have a formidable rainbow team.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    I think his best pairing is with cyclops. Both Kamala and Prof X make a good third.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    With Beast, Prof X is only going to tank purple, so I don't think this combo works at all. His purple won't fire enough to make it worthwhile.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I started animal inside and I could have sworn D3 had made his green ability sound way better in the update than it actually is. If forgot it still requires a blue special tile to be out to do any real damage which I thought they removed. So I was running cyclops and IF and I I he be sat throw out his blue tiles, fired animal inside, and I thought I heard my phone laugh at me with how little damage it did. My beast buffs to 162 so close to full strength.

So what did it do to my phone that was laughing at me? I fired Full Blast with 10 red on the board to show Beast what a real mutant can do icon_evil.gif

No reason to level beast anymore than he is. He....is....awful.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have enjoyed him quite a bit post update - the blue is so cheap that it's not too hard to have a blue special tile out (his blue countdown counts for a special tile, I believe) when casting his green. My Beast is level 140 (pre-buff) 4/3/4, and the green is doing about 2,000 to each enemy (note: I have been playing him with Lazy Daken and Luke Cage, so the damage is improved from strike tiles). He's also been fun in the DDQ couple with Lazy Daken and Falcon.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    I agree with Puce Moose -- I'm loving using Beast now, and those few recent and badly-needed buffs to him have pushed ol' Hank McCoy well above "awful" territory.
    wymtime wrote:
    forgot it still requires a blue special tile to be out to do any real damage

FYI all -- I don't know if this was the case before his buffs, but Beast's blue countdown tile counts towards the bonus effects of his green -- So, you can cast his blue and then follow with green immediately (safe in the knowledge that you won't destroy your own CD, now that green only destroys basic tiles). His blue is so cheap now that I always seem to collect enough fairly quickly without even trying to.

Or better yet, use him with a random-spec.tile-spammer (i.e. Falcon) and use green if just one special's on a blue tile somewhere.

I find green's maxlevel damage, tile desctruction, and resulting cascade very well balanced for its 9 AP cost.
  • He's pretty average and if you hit 2 or even 3 strike tiles on blue that makes him top tier, at least for that particular game. Usually you'll only get one strike tile which is fairly in line with what you should expect out of a 2 match ability. His green compares surprisingly well with Embiggened Bash after factoring the AP difference and that it can cause a significant cascade and is easily more efficient than any other green when a blue special tile is present, though it doesn't hit hard enough to impact the game the same way as Embiggened Bash.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    His Blue is actually quite good now that it doesn't immolate itself, at least boosted. Most of the time it works as a match accelerator thanks to strike/attack tiles, but the times it doesn't you're squashing match damage to nothing, which also has benefits (especially when combined with Kamala's heal)

His yellow still seems useless, though again that might be impact of the boosted characters. Running Cyclops with him exclusively, and Mutant Revolutionary >>> Medical Marvel.
  • mine 4/5/4, same with voting.