The Quicksilver - Prof X - Iron Fist Engine

Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
:quicksilver: icon_professorx.pngicon_ironfist.png (what, no icon?)

It took me awhile to figure out how to use Quicksilver. I have a high MMR, so most of my opposing teams are level 270 monsters.

Quicksilver -- Iron Fist -- Professor X ---- strongest team in the game if you use boosts.

1. Standard Operating Procedure: Take any Match 5's when they occur.
2. Get a purple match for 5 purpletile.png . Collect more if it's easy.
3. Use Iron Fist of K'un-Lun to add 9 blacktile.png.
4. Collect 11 blacktile.png , or less if you've done some blue matches.
5. Swap tiles to set up or do a Match 5. (1653 damage)
6. Do the Match 5 (4000+ damage and generates 4 AP blacktile.png if Quicksilver set up right)
7. Do blue matches when appropriate to make Idle Hands cheaper, or to blow up the locked tiles.
8. Use powers 5 purpletile.png , 7 purpletile.png , 8 greentile.png , 11- blacktile.png over and over.

The engine gets going pretty quickly, allowing a series of 5-matches. Meanwhile, Xavier is is marking up the board with special tiles.

In one game, I was able to take out Thor4+XForce before they even had a chance to make their first move, but that was lucky. Usually, opposing level 270 teams get to make about 5 moves before they're all dead. This is with boosts. Also, the AI has absolutely no clue how to use this team, so don't rely on it for defending itself.

This team is a chainsaw to the face of game balance. Fun!

Comments

• Wish you had contacted me first before you made your test. I was one of your guinea pig... icon_e_sad.gif
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    You've discovered an exploit with Quicksilver! Here comes the nerf bat!
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350

These two were always jokes.

Love the theory crafting, sounds like an interesting team. Not terribly usable in current PVP format since you'd have to wait for one of the two 3*s to be featured, but SHIELD would be a great place to try it out....except that at high levels you would just get pillaged over and over, and shields are too expensive.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559

PX will get the nerf first, since he's a 4*
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    rednailz wrote:

But MNMags and Mystique got the nerf when Prof X came out and Hood before that when 4Thor was released. But in all seriousness I predict Prof X will get a huge nerf right around the time I finally have him at a usable level.
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291

6. Do the Match 5 (4000+ damage and generates 4 AP blacktile.png if Quicksilver set up right)

Nice find.

Master Plan is not balanced with the 4 AP generation. If you can find ways to trigger Master Plan into any of the AP generators through strongest color manipulation, you hit loops.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    esoxnepa wrote:

Nice find.

Master Plan is not balanced with the 4 AP generation. If you can find ways to trigger Master Plan into any of the AP generators through strongest color manipulation, you hit loops.

Question, does prof x give out tiles for for cage's shield when it casts?
  • No, he should not trigger on passives. If he is on defense that is a bug.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Malcrof wrote:
    Question, does prof x give out tiles for for cage's shield when it casts?

Nope -- Psychic Convergence doesn't activate for Passive powers. But it activates for Prehistoric Arms (3 purpletile.png) and any other power with a cost.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see this as karma for Demiurge failing to balance IF purple appropriately the first time. Nice catch Nonce!
  • Yeah, it's almost as if producing a ton of black tiles for 5 AP isn't reasonable.

Still, this looks like fun. It'll be sad to see which characters suffer the consequences.
  • Lovely.

This kind of broken design pisses me off because everyone TOLD them that Master Plan was broken and their response was to nerf every ability that could exploit it instead of nerfing Master Plan.

OTOH, this does actually make Bagsilver useful, which is an accomplishment of itself.
  • Questions:
    So this team relies on gaining Purple AP quickly for IF's IFoKL correct? How many matches did you have where you couldn't get enough for more than one IFoKL, or where you were stuck short of enough black for Idle Hands? Do you have problems in matches where the AI is grabbing purple, black?

The team seems pretty fragile and conditional, so I'd hesitate in calling it broken, unless you consider Prof X by himself broken. I still think maxed IFoKL is too powerful, though it's weak at less than 3 covers.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Too bad Kamala's heal is a passive, that would make for a mad trio
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    This will be a new one, I think. I don't recall any previous game breakers that required 3-man teams.

Sure, XForce sped up Winfinite, but Mags-Mystique did it on their own just fine too.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    daibar wrote:
    So this team relies on gaining Purple AP quickly for IF's IFoKL correct? How many matches did you have where you couldn't get enough for more than one IFoKL, or where you were stuck short of enough black for Idle Hands? Do you have problems in matches where the AI is grabbing purple, black?

Purple and Black seemed to be the AI's favorite colors. That didn't slow things down much. Occasionally, there were boards with virtually no purple or black, but those often had match-5 potential. I favored bluetile.png and greentile.png if purple and black weren't available.

In the cases where all seemed lost, the AI would invariably have an impossibly lucky cascade. Usually that's the point where the game is lost, but for QS-PX-IF the cascades would usually allow some purple onto the board, and then the engine could get started after a bloody round. With the bluetile.png match locked tiles in place due to waiting around, the engine would be faster, allowing my team to halt the opposing team entirely. A board with bad colors means lots of Idle Hand Fives. It's slower to get started, but then it's more devastating.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    rednailz wrote:

But MNMags and Mystique got the nerf when Prof X came out and Hood before that when 4Thor was released. But in all seriousness I predict Prof X will get a huge nerf right around the time I finally have him at a usable level.

Oh I hear you. I just mean if there's nerfing to be done a 4* will get it first most likely. PX was nerfed before release and will be nerfed again. They seem to prefer nerfing 4*, although I agree, and obviously anyone is up on the chopping block.
  • rednailz wrote:

Their nerfing metrics don't care if you have him at a useable level. The nerf decision is made when people stop buying his covers and they have milked all the money out of us that they can. Prof X should have at least 2 more months before they cripple him.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    all 3 are pretty new, most of us don't have them fully covered- (what a surprise)

- news of good synergy comes out
    - people rush to make it happen (buy hp and all for covers)
    -wait a few months
    - Nerf something , combo is dead
    - create more barely tested characters
    - repeat

It's like printing money
  • Professor X's ability is problematic because normally match 5s aren't that common even with strong board shaking abilities so they made his passive pretty powerful to go with a relatively rare occurrence, and then you have stuff like Idle Hands or IFoKL that is just an incredibly strong board manipulator. On the other hand, IFoKL is already quite insane by itself as you can do stuff like IFoKL into 3 Rage of the Panthers on a good board that doesn't even require anything fancy, so I think it is more likely that you got the enablers (in this case, IFoKL) nerfed instead of Master Plan. I don't think Idle Hands is the problem here because it's just not reliable to get enough bubbles to get it cheap enough and if you're collecting black the normal way that'd still take quite a while to get it going.