**** Wolverine (X-Force) ****

TheOncomingStorm
TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in Character Details
[anchor=wolverine4]Wolverine (X-Force)[/anchor] icon_wolverine.png
4 Star Rarity (Legendary) Discussion link. Wiki link
At Max Level: HP:10960 Tile damage: 64/09/11/10/82/73/4.0
    X-Force - Cost: 8 Green AP
    Wolverine unleashes his berserker rage, cutting with his adamantium claws. Deals 137 damage and destroys 5 tiles in a 3x3 X-Shaped pattern. Does not generate AP.
      Level 2. Deals 183 damage. Level 3. Destroys 9 tiles in a 5x5 X-Shaped pattern. Level 4. Deals 548 damage. Level 5. Deals 685 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns
    Max Level: Deals 1360 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns
      Surgical Strike - Cost: 11 Black AP
      Wolverine attacks with ruthless precision, crippling his enemy’s ability to retaliate. Destroys every tile in the enemy team’s strongest color, dealing 55 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
        Level 2. Deals 96 damage per tile. Level 3. Deals 138 damage per tile. Level 4. Deals 225 damage per tile. Level 5. Deals 394 damage per tile.
      Max Level: Deals 781 damage per tile.
        Recovery - Cost: 9 Yellow AP
        Wolverine’s healing factor repairs his wounds, and he ferociously lashes out if interrupted. Places a 3-turn Yellow Countdown tile that heals for 1187 health when activated. If the Countdown tile is matched, Wolverine destroys 6 random tiles, dealing 55 damage per tile.
          Level 2. Heals Wolverine for 1662 or deals 92 damage per tile. Level 3. Heals Wolverine for 2137 or deals 138 damage per tile. Level 4. Heals Wolverine for 3086 or deals 202 damage per tile. Level 5. Heals Wolverine for 4985 or destroys 9 tiles.
        Max Level: Heals Wolverine for 9899 or destroys 9 tiles. 400 damage per tile.

Last Major Update: 2015-04 / Earlier Discussion

Original post:
        I'm pleasantly surprised with how great the changes are. All but one. Xforce was overnerfed specifically his green. I am sure other players will come to the same conclusion when they play his new version.

The ball is in your court MPQ. Xforce green is not up to par. I sincerely hope you will take another look at this one ability and take the appropriate actions in a timely manner. I also you will give assurance that you will review that one specific ability, especially compared to similar cost abilities of lower star characters.

Thanks again for the other changes. They are outstanding.
        Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Arimis_Thorn
          Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
          So the patch dropped 30 seconds ago and the verdict is in?
        • So the patch dropped 30 seconds ago and the verdict is in?
          The verdict was in before the patch dropped.

You don't need to play test it to know he was gutted haha.
        • Vinmarc43
          Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
          Green should do at least 2.5k damage + tiles, he seem's to be half a wolverine like this. I think if the Dev adjusted this, it would make people happier icon_e_biggrin.gif .
          especillay when you put in some real $$$$ to cover him.
        • Maybe they should change his animation to only have 1 claw doing the X-Force strike.

While they are at it, maybe he should be renamed, too. Wolverine H-Force!
        • RWTDBurn
          RWTDBurn Posts: 291
          Vinmarc43 wrote:
          Green should do at least 2.5k damage + tiles, he seem's to be half a wolverine like this. I think if the Dev adjusted this, it would make people happier icon_e_biggrin.gif .
          especillay when you put in some real $$$$ to cover him.

I don't think they were too concerned about what would make people happy, sad to say. They clearly didn't want to balance Xforce, they wanted him out of the picture. The damage value you have there for green would have made him playable and all they had to do was then put a value on how much AP black stole to make him play the same yet not dominate the game. It would appear that they don't want 4* to dominate the 3*s. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they come back and nerf 4thor a little bit more.
        • RWTDBurn
          RWTDBurn Posts: 291
          SuperRed wrote:
          Maybe they should change his animation to only have 1 claw doing the X-Force strike.

While they are at it, maybe he should be renamed, too. Wolverine H-Force!

Prior to the original boost, he was know as X-farce by all. X-farce has made is infamous return.
        • Druss
          Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
          I wouldn't be surprised if they come back and nerf 4thor a little bit more.

then 3* Thor

then Blue Panther (not that anyone can get his blacks anyway!)

then Cage

etc.

then Yelena

On a separate note, I was surprised to see so much text for X-Farce's green, surely F-All would of sufficed?
        • Tbh I wasn't happy about the nerf BUT after playing a few games against him he can one oneshot most 3* with ss. Green barely tickles but it's still a massive board shake. The change is here to stay (for now at least) so I guess we'll just have to come up with new tactics and work through it, worst case he'll get benched like 4hor icon_e_wink.gif
        • Geauxbotz
          Geauxbotz Posts: 55 Match Maker
          I'd like to say something positive about the change to xforce. I'm positive that if you don't have a playable xforce you like the change. I have a lvl 270 paperweight now. One idea if you fun balance him again. Just remove his green so I don't accidently use it and waste the A.P.

Nice nerf...
        • Xf is not the only issue. Upping the health was dumb too. Now battles will take forever.
        • Yay. Spent a year getting his covers and leveling him up aaaaaaaannnnndddd flush.
        • Highdark
          Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
          I was oblivious to the update, so i was doing lethal intent with my blade, XF and my base Gam. I was afk playing the game(thats my excuse) then i started to notice i was getting wrekt by 2 stars. I figured they must of gotten some crazy cascade but better play serious. got my 8 green and SMACK hit for less then enemy gams 5 red. Instantly confused. XF now the new old IW. Sigh
        • Pylgrim
          Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
          Look. Most characters have a comparatively 'bad" ability. One that you automatically know to put only 3 covers in. X-Force's is now green. That might feel weird after previously being his best, but you just adapt. Black is his best now (and one of the best abilities in the game) and Yellow is second best. Forget about green, there are like 10 better green skills that now get their time to shine.
        • His black isn't great either. He surgically took out all of my strongest colours and I went on to lose the match. His green is useless and his black can leave you in a worse position than you were in before it was used.
        • Raffoon
          Raffoon Posts: 884
          Pylgrim wrote:
          Look. Most characters have a comparatively 'bad" ability. One that you automatically know to put only 3 covers in. X-Force's is now green. That might feel weird after previously being his best, but you just adapt. Black is his best now (and one of the best abilities in the game) and Yellow is second best. Forget about green, there are like 10 better green skills that now get their time to shine.

Funny how whenever characters get reworks and nerfs, their definitively best specs seem to change. No reason they couldn't have kept green and black as the strongest instead of yellow and black. Or they could offer free respecs.

Except they want to make more people buy covers. Same as when Cmags got nerfed. And Sentry.
        • Geauxbotz
          Geauxbotz Posts: 55 Match Maker
          Pylgrim wrote:
          Hard to forget about green when that's the way I built him. You know, cause that's the way they rebalanced him. The second time. icon_rolleyes.gif
        • Pylgrim
          His black is ridiculous even without the AP steal and production. 7k-10k damage for 11 AP is VERY good. Green is now very clearly meant to be his "bad" ability, while Yellow was buffed plenty. I changed my vote to 3/5/5
        • Nonce Equitaur 2
          Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
          edited April 2015
          XForce and Thor4 were overwhelmingly powerful before. Add in Loki, and they could decimate any team with ease.

1. Aim for 9 bluetile.png + 10 redtile.png or 11 blacktile.png, or slum a bit with 8 greentile.png , 5 purpletile.png, 12 yellowtile.png .
          2. With redtile.png + bluetile.png or blacktile.png, you've won. With the other colors, you're merely devastating.
          3. If the other team makes 4-matches, stun anyone that can use a power if you have the bluetile.png , and you've won.

There wasn't a logical reason for using any other team if you had this one. At the top echelon of any bracket, most teams were XForce+Thor4.

Both characters are still incredibly powerful. But now, they are part of my rotation, because there are many powerful teams now.

I just took out a maxed XForce+4Thor+Loki team with Kamala+Cyclops+Invisible Woman. IW was the only one standing at the end, and near death, but she had Invisibility up, and was able to collect for another Crush to take out 4Thor. I've played about 15 completely different teams today. This is how the game should be.

I'd like a free respec on X-Force, but I think his new configuration is fine. The 3-countdown should be a 2 countdown at Level 5.
        • Pylgrim
          MarCr wrote:
          His black isn't great either. He surgically took out all of my strongest colours and I went on to lose the match. His green is useless and his black can leave you in a worse position than you were in before it was used.

Have you actually used it? Yes it lost the secondary traits, but if you think 7-10k damage for 11 AP plus board shake is not ridiculous, I don't know what to tell you.
        • XForce and Thor4 were overwhelmingly powerful before. Add in Loki, and they could decimate any team with ease.

1. Aim for 9 bluetile.png + 10 redtile.png or 11 blacktile.png, or slum a bit with 8 greentile.png , 5 purpletile.png, 12 yellowtile.png .
          2. With redtile.png+:blue: or blacktile.png, you've won. With the other colors, you're merely devastating.
          3. If the other team makes 4-matches, stun anyone that can use a power if you have the bluetile.png , and you've won.

There wasn't a logical reason for using any other team if you had this one. At the top echelon of any bracket, most teams were XForce+Thor4.

Both characters are still incredibly powerful. But now, they are part of my rotation, because there are many powerful teams now.

I just took out a maxed XForce+4Thor+Loki team with Kamala+Cyclops+Invisible Woman. IW was the only one standing at the end, and near death, but she had Invisibility up, and was able to collect for another Crush to take out 4Thor. I've played about 15 completely different teams today. This is how the game should be.

I'd like a free respec on X-Force, but I think his new configuration is fine. The 3-countdown should be a 2 countdown at Level 5.

If that team didn't have Loki and you had roughly the same AP gain it'd be a pretty easy win. Neither X Force nor Thor are all that scary anymore but that's not a bad thing. Right now the defender's 100% health makes the ranking of a static team almost irrelevent because that 100% health advantage is going to grind you down at some point. I think playing a large number of different teams is indeed likely the correct way to play now provided that you ended your games with someone like The Hood/Loki/Iron Fist but I don't have a block of time setup to try this yet. One strange side effect is that health is even more important than before now even though it seems like everyone's health is much closer. If before 3K HP is one-shot territory now it's up to 4 or even 5K. This is because all the games are longer and you need to increase the expected damage taken by the increased health pool and also the fact that you're now no longer able to end most games before the enemy gets to use their moves, which drastically increases the 'one shot' threshold. This means the difference between 8K and 10K is a lot more than it appears because you're looking at 3K/5K above a 5K minimum safety threshold. This is also why playing a large number of characters is a good idea, as your new character is generally safely out of this one-shot range.

To illustrate with an example, a level 290 Gamora does around 3000 damage with red maxed. It's not unusual to take multiple Razor's Edge and if they happen to be on the same guy then that guy needs at least 6000 HP to survive, and it's not even a particularly dangerous move in the grand scheme of things despite Gamora being at level 290.