*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Could someone tell me what damage a level 166 Thor does with 4 in green?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say about 15% less damage.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    lThor + cMags is about to become arguably the best team in the game (with some close competition, albeit), particularly during either of their featured events where you can pair them with Hood or Loki, or during a good support/ap generator's event.

lThor's no king defensively, but neither was Thora or xfw.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Its a shame boosted maxed Lthor can't out tank GSBW for green. That's just sad.
  • Could someone tell me what damage a level 166 Thor does with 4 in green?

Level 5 green: 4518/2259 damage.
    Level 4 green: 3826/1913 damage.
    Level 3 green: 3120/1560 damage.

Level 5 red: 2132 damage.
    Level 4 red: 1751 damage.
    Level 3 red: 1370 damage.

I assume that yellow is always on level 5, those extra tiles are too good to let go. Judging by these numbers green would be horrible at level 3, but level 4 could still be viable. However, going from 5 to 4 in green but from 3 to 4 in red means that you give up a total of 1384 damage in green to gain 381 more damage in red, so...it doesn't really feel worth it. I'll keep my L-Thor at 355 anyway. *sells off the extra covers*
  • Moon 17 wrote:
    So...this guy's about to be boss again, right? Is TGT/X-Force a good argument against simply building a team around this Thor instead?

I know that X-Force still has a pretty high damage output in black, but without the AP steal and the big, bad green I'm not convinced that he's a complete package. I use to use Thor/Panther a lot last year; seems like they could be poised to make a pretty effective come-back. Thoughts?
    The overlap on yellow with BP and LT is killer. cMagneto and Loki are far better partners for Thor. Hood if you insist but there's not much synergy and overlapping yellows again. Grocket, Blade, Kamala, GSBW, Hulk, Daken, Doom, Daredevil, lazy Cap, Ragnarok, She-Hulk (offense only), Professor X all make fine dance partners.

I'll accept that the yellow overlap with Panther might be a problem defensively...but when does that even come up? Maybe I'm thinking with a last month mindset...after everybody has more health, defensive wins through eventual bad luck might become more commonplace. I don't know, though.

I know that I would hate to think of Rocket and Groot firing off their green over Thor's on defense. That seems just as bad as Panther pooping out some strike tiles in lieu of Thor yellow-blasting.
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Daige wrote:
    Could someone tell me what damage a level 166 Thor does with 4 in green?

Level 5 green: 4518/2259 damage.
    Level 4 green: 3826/1913 damage.
    Level 3 green: 3120/1560 damage.

Level 5 red: 2132 damage.
    Level 4 red: 1751 damage.
    Level 3 red: 1370 damage.

I assume that yellow is always on level 5, those extra tiles are too good to let go. Judging by these numbers green would be horrible at level 3, but level 4 could still be viable. However, going from 5 to 4 in green but from 3 to 4 in red means that you give up a total of 1384 damage in green to gain 381 more damage in red, so...it doesn't really feel worth it. I'll keep my L-Thor at 355 anyway. *sells off the extra covers*

Cool thanks. Yeah he's definately best by himself at 3/5/5 but I was wondering because the times I use him I'm usually looking for someone to fill out yellow and red. Although this was because I was using X-Force for green, which I'm not sure I'll be doing anymore come tomorrow. Oh, and I've yet to nab a 5th yellow, so my thoughts were 5/4/4 or 4/4/5.
  • Vladdy
    Vladdy Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Changelog:
    - replaced "What bothers me currently:" with "Vladdy asks:"

Why? I don't know.

Another change is that this time I have no question for you. I just want to say:

Boosted LThor kicked my butt with "Call the Storm". Twice...

That REALLY hurt. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    boosted lthor is the best there is icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Yep, boosted LThor is a Beast. Well no, he's much much better than Beast.

Do not let this man get 12 yellow. He will ruin your climb.
  • Vladdy
    elvy75 wrote:
    boosted lthor is the best there is icon_e_biggrin.gif

I like this comment. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Vladdy
    Lerysh wrote:
    Yep, boosted LThor is a Beast. Well no, he's much much better than Beast.

I like this part. icon_e_wink.gif
    Lerysh wrote:
    Do not let this man get 12 yellow. He will ruin your climb.

This part reminds of a very bad match I had today. I don't like this part. icon_thor.png
  • Should the overlapping yellow enough to keep me from pairing Thor with Luke Cage? I'm looking for a new primary green user to pair with Cage since the XF nerf hit. I know there's no debate when comparing LT and Torch but synergy wise I'm wondering if Torch would be the better character to pair with LC?
  • stlramz wrote:
    Should the overlapping yellow enough to keep me from pairing Thor with Luke Cage? I'm looking for a new primary green user to pair with Cage since the XF nerf hit. I know there's no debate when comparing LT and Torch but synergy wise I'm wondering if Torch would be the better character to pair with LC?
    I think theres some kind of hype going on about how well IF and Cage do together, so he might be your green user guy. I dont think the overlap on yellow should stop you from using Cage + LThor though, because Cage has a nice health pool and his protect tile, its not like using Hood + LThor where Hood will jump in ahead when you collect yellow and just die after one cascade.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use Thor with Cage all the time. I tend to always use Cage's yellow, but there are some occasions where I will use Thor's if theres 2 remaining characters and they both have low health left as Thor's yellow will take out the first guy and then the green cascade will usually take out the 2nd guy too. My Iron Fist isn't up to matching those guys yet but I still think I would probably stick with the Thor, Cage combo.
  • Arondite
    I use Thor with Cage all the time. I tend to always use Cage's yellow, but there are some occasions where I will use Thor's if theres 2 remaining characters and they both have low health left as Thor's yellow will take out the first guy and then the green cascade will usually take out the 2nd guy too. My Iron Fist isn't up to matching those guys yet but I still think I would probably stick with the Thor, Cage combo.

If you're using Cage and Thor together, Cage should 100% be 3/5/5 to reduce conflict and for the fact that Thor's Yellow is probably better thanks to AP generation and shake.
  • Arondite
    Right now, I him at level 55.

1 redflag.png
    2 yellowflag.png
    1 greenflag.png

Worth keeping up with, or start and build 2* Thor, which will be quicker?

I really, really hope you didn't sell your Lazy Thor...you will regret that decision as long as you play / until you finish him, if you did.
  • Nick441234
    Arondite wrote:

If you're using Cage and Thor together, Cage should 100% be 3/5/5 to reduce conflict and for the fact that Thor's Yellow is probably better thanks to AP generation and shake.

I have them both at level 128 currently and Cage's yellow does well over 5000 damage. Thor's yellow only hits for around 3000. Both 5 covers. Sure, you might get enough greens generated to be able to fire Thor's green straight off but its also not guaranteed. By the time you are in a position to fire yellow for both characters, the enemy health should be low enough to take him out with one hit from Cage. I rather take the guarantee down.
  • Arondite
    Arondite wrote:

I have them both at level 128 currently and Cage's yellow does well over 5000 damage. Thor's yellow only hits for around 3000. Both 5 covers. Sure, you might get enough greens generated to be able to fire Thor's green straight off but its also not guaranteed. By the time you are in a position to fire yellow for both characters, the enemy health should be low enough to take him out with one hit from Cage. I rather take the guarantee down.

This really isn't even a discussion lol, or at least shouldn't be.

3/5/5 Thor ; 3/5/5 Cage provides -
    Passable Red Active (Thor) ; Excellent Red Passive (Cage)
    Excellent Yellow Active (Thor) ; Last Resort Yellow Active (Cage)
    Excellent Green Active (Thor) ; More Reliable Green usage due to Yellow (Thor)
    Excellent Black Active (Cage)
    No Blue Coverage
    No Purple Coverage

5/3/5 Thor ; 5/5/3 Cage provides -
    Mediocre Red Active (Thor) ; Excellent Red Passive (Cage)
    Bad Yellow Active (Thor) ; Excellent Yellow Active (Cage)
    Excellent but unreliable Green Active (Thor)
    Bad Black Active (Cage)
    No Blue Coverage
    No Black Coverage

The characters overlap on 2 colors so the pairing is already shaky (though their barrel-chested health bars and Cage's Protect Tile pair up to stabilize that a bit). Making your Team Nuke of 9.0K even less reliable in exchange for moving damage from Black (a color your team would otherwise not cover) to yellow (a color Thor already covers, arguably better than Cage) and gaining a slight bump in overall damage in the process.

Let's break it down this way, even.

Your Suggested Set up
    2,132 Damage (Thor Red)(Generates 3 Yellow Tiles, fueling Cage Yellow)
    7,141 Damage (Cage Yellow)
    9,036 Damage (Thor Green)
    783 Damage (Cage Black for 6) or 3,379 (Cage Black for 12)

Total Damage
    21,688 Across 4 Colors (With 12 in Black)

My Suggested Set Up
    1,370 Damage (Thor Red)(Generates 3 Yellow Tiles, fueling Thor Yellow)
    2,486 Damage (Thor Yellow) (Generates 9 Green Tiles, fueling Thor Green)
    9,036 Damage (Thor Green)
    1,044 Damage (Cage Black for 6) or 5,384, 1 Turn Sturn (Cage Black for 12)

Total Damage
    18,276, 1 Turn Stun Across 4 Colors (with 12 in Black)

So for a mere 3,000 Damage across 4 colors, you're willing to soften your rainbow coverage by reducing the number of colors you can attack from effectively and decelerate your biggest nuke (Call the Storm) by an average of 2.5 turns by losing out on the massive Green generation from Thor's Yellow.

Don't get me wrong - 5/5/3 is Cage's best build, and I'd probably never really pair him with Thor outside of either of their featured events...but if you are looking to pair him with Thor and you want to do so optimally, there's really no question. Better Rainbow beats out 3K damage on a color you already cover (with one of the best skills in the game) anyway 100% of the time.

Just know that I don't say this to demean or berate you, but I just want all the information to be plainly available to you and anyone who happens upon this thread.
  • Nick441234
    Of course. I think the characters I'm fighting will also play a part in what I would do as well. Some of the more powerful ones who can cause havoc to my team with just one single attack, I want them down as quickly as possible. Stats mean nothing if they can ruin the health of all 3 of your characters by allowing them even one more chance to attack me. Using Thor's yellow might make more sense in the long run, but it might not matter if the character you are wanting to down manages to get off one more attack that throws up either huge damage for all your characters or defence tiles and attack tiles a plenty.