PVP Logic

Options
I am not a game designer so maybe I am missing something, but the PVP point formula seems to over reward one play style over all the others(waiting until an hour or two before end of session to play and then jamming games, timeshift this if you are going to shield)

If this purely money grab to make shielding mandatory?

Multiple times I got attack by 250/166/Kingpin Over 130 teams lost more than twenty points and could only counterattack to gain 14-16 points with my 127/127/100 team. I understand there needs to be some kind of rubber banding mechanism, but this just seems ludicrous. Why not base point loss on the strength of the team that beat you?

Wahoo for finishing #101 for that 1,000th Daken cover, sorry it was Wolverine that should be 2,000th Wolverine cover.

Comments

• MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Make note that there are reports of being unable to enter a PVP within 1 hour of it closing.

Aside from that, the rewarded play style is to climb to just below your equilibrium point (based on time/roster strength) and wait for health packs to recover and for the planned shield schedule to be viable, then make a massive/fast push and shield. Then hop at the "right" times to desired score.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From what I've seen this season, very few late players on PvP reach top 10 because all the high called targets past a point are shielded. If you don't care about personal placement then that's fine but you run the risk of lowering overall alliance score.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    On the one hand it is generally easier and faster to join late and rush. However the drawback is that it becomes very difficult to make 1k and or top 10. If your not in a competitive alliance,it's not a big deal. Join with 3 or 4 hrs and go as high as you ca. However, most top25 alliances don't follow this play style. These players generally are shooting for 1k and higher and it's much easier to join at the 48 to 24 hr mark and push to around 600 and decide from there. Comp players like high value targets as much as anyone and generally, everyone wants to hover aroun 700 to 900 while more people accumulate points and start to build avg match value. Inside the 8 and 3 hr marks is super competitive because that's when people start jockeying for final push.

At that point it becomes hard to find 40 pointers because everyone is shieled that's why you see lots of 20 to 23 point matches. Everyone higher is shieleded and your only worried about people below sniping.

It generally better to be slightly ahead of the curve with respect to points, and have a strong battle chat where you can call out targets to your snipers and other people who are climbing. The last two hours is the absolute worst time to try and make top 5. Everyone is watching positions and calling out targets in the top positions. It's great to be top 5 going into the eight hour mark. All your alliance mates are looking for targets and your real job is to only monitor when other top 5 players u shield to hop.
  • Arsael
    Arsael Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I don't really understand the logic of this game after the last changes in pvp
    I'm about 300 days player , started from 1 stars , and actualy passing fron 2* to 3*
    in the last hotstile takeover my rank was 99 with 560 point , one person in my allinace with 414 point was 13

<it was impossible ( and actually it is ) be in the first 10 and try to keep 4 *.
    Everybody destroyed me in the past, now i have some chance to be in the first 100
    <a person who started from some week he's SO easily in the top ten with so few points ( and keep 4* )?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    a 4 star cover to someone in the 1st month is a pure white elephant. It makes no difference ingame. It takes over 9 covers and a 100+ levels before a character is viable in high level play. It used to bother me when someone won something cheaply and without the struggle, but in the long run they are just a blip on the screen and it doesn't really affect my rosters success or ability to compete for high level covers.