Vladdy asks: Deadpool's Daily - Node points

Options
Vladdy
Vladdy Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I know there are really important topics (character updates, matchmaking, quitting the game etc.) to be discussed right now but i want to post this regardless.

Why is clearing a node in "Deadpool's Daily" giving you varying points > 1?

It scratched my brain during the first "Gauntlet" and it continued to do so. With the release of "Deadpool's Daily" it now scratches every day. I haven't thought this through for "Gauntlet" but in "Deadpool's Daily" it just doesn't make any sense. You could also get 1 point per node and at 5 points the only progression reward is 2000 iso.

What is the secret i am missing?

Psychology? Harder node = more points but no sense concerning rewards or any other game related stuff?
Leaderboard? icon_mrgreen.gif

Comments

• Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Think 'random amounts of points because it's Deadpool'. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They might slip a top 10 reward bracket in there for people who clear it first like they did for that one random Gauntlet that people got miffed about.
  • xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    Options
    They might slip a top 10 reward bracket in there for people who clear it first like they did for that one random Gauntlet that people got miffed about.
    Even then the exact number of the points doesn't really matter. If the reward is for max points, it doesn't matter if one node gives 1 billion points and the others 1 point (as long as it is non-zero) since the system breaks any tie-breaks via who completed it the fastest. Only difference would be if there were progression rewards and the nodes were sufficiently hard enough that very few people in a bracket could get max progression. This is especially for DDQ where all the nodes are one and done.

To be honest I think it's probably just psychological, metrics probably tell them that seeing larger numbers motivate people or something.
  • Once you'll uncovered the mystery behind this grave secret, I have another one for you : how exactly are computed the points you get everyday by using Deadpool in a match ?
    I'd say the second post of this thread sums it all up quite nicely... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Vladdy
    Vladdy Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Grosnours wrote:
    Once you'll uncovered the mystery behind this grave secret, I have another one for you : how exactly are computed the points you get everyday by using Deadpool in a match ?
    I'd say the second post of this thread sums it all up quite nicely... icon_e_biggrin.gif

I think there is a dude called "Ar'Engi" who calculates those points. Deadpool's friend, certainly... icon_mrgreen.gif
  • They might slip a top 10 reward bracket in there for people who clear it first like they did for that one random Gauntlet that people got miffed about.

This still works if every node is worth 1.

This same thing bothers me about Gauntlet and the odd point progressions and node values. Do you have something against round numbers? At least Deadpool ends in a round number, and has (one) round number progression reward.
  • limonade
    limonade Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:

This still works if every node is worth 1.

This same thing bothers me about Gauntlet and the odd point progressions and node values. Do you have something against round numbers? At least Deadpool ends in a round number, and has (one) round number progression reward.

Agreed.

Same thought occurred to me as I was playing a couple of times.

Yet, overall what's the point with having these points in general. I look at those points I get from DDQ and I'm like "cool... so what?" It doesn't serve anything to the overall leaderboard. So why have 'em and why so high? But it is Deadpool and it's in line with his craziness, which for now, gets a pass from me.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree with the OP. In fact, I think the point system d3 uses for all the progression tables is a little hinky. Why not just reduce them all down to their LCM? For example, the difference between TaT and PS events is enormous. TaT progression topped out at 65000 and PS at 14000; the node point values are hard to equate as well.

These variables make it difficult to judge how much effort each event will take to top out the progression, whereas making progression scales and node values universal would eliminate that confusion. For example, a rough ratio between TaT and PS is ~4.5:1 (doesn't account for differences in node values, just an example). So to extrapolate the above example into a universal progression, TaT could top out at 450 and PS at 100. Paired with a universal node point system, this would allow any player to instantly evaluate how difficult and time intensive any given PVE is.

EDIT: I know this is a little off topic. I am just applying the OP's thoughts on DPQ points to all PVE events.
  • I think they raised the progression rewards for TaT because it was a 4* release and they anticipated a ton of players would play a lot. Further, it was Easter weekend, meaning most people (not necessarily forum goers) have more time.

With this PVE, it was the 3rd new character in a row, and I think there was some burnout, so they lowered the progression so that people would play at least to progression.

I think the different point tiers are to give different classes of players different types of rewards through progression. Even though there's only 5 nodes, due to the survival nodes and partial rewards, there various ways that people can have completed/not completed the nodes. (mathematically 2*3*2*5, 60 different ways).

Plus 15000 feels good. I feel like Deadpool is gaming the system but making you feel good about a huge amount of points that actually means little. Perhaps they want 2000 iso to 'feel' like a 15000 pt progression reward. If all of a sudden we were getting 2000 iso at 200 points, it would feel a little weird.