Proposed specs for heroes affected by the character updates

Options
hesjingixen
hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I was just curious what specs people where pondering the various characters changing on 4/17. While not all of them will change, many of them were pretty unusable before, so there weren't strong feelings either way. Here are my guesses.

IW - 3/5/5 - While the modified yellow is much better, it still seems like you'll want max blue/green for their combo
Elektra - 3/5/5 - As above, first power is better, but still not as universally useful as the other 2
X-Force - 5/5/3 - Despite the nerf to greens damage, it still feels like you'd want it for the board shake
Beast - 5/5/3 - The yellow is still "fake" heal, so I'd value it least
Doc Oct - 5/5/3 - The blue is now Loki caliber board shake, with additional special tile destruction. Black takes best advantage of the blue. I could see 5/3/5 as a possible alternative
She-Hulk - 5/3/5? - This is the one I'm least sure of. 6 Green for 0-ing 2 APs is pretty good, but the randomness still bothers me. The fact that her blue doesn't target CD tiles makes her less useful versus goons, but it's still pretty strong against Daken/Blade and others.

Comments

• Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For She-Hulk, I'd still be tempted to go 355. Her new green might not be that good on offense because you have no idea what you'll drain, but since it's cheap and She-Hulk can take a bit of a beating, I can see it being a pain on defense.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She Hulk definitely 3 in Green. It doesn't gain too much potency from the 2 additional levels.
  • I dont really think that draining two color pools by 100% is negotiable, specially for a two match cost. Her damage power is also very handy, so the two tile steal looks like by far the worst of her powers.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In the interest of annoyingly defensive characters, I'm going to be strongly considering a 5-yellow build for Wolverine. Due to the way I acquired covers, I first had him at 3/5/5 and I still miss that 100% heal from time to time. If I respec, I'll go for 5/3/5.

Since SS no longer generates AP, you are equally at a loss for valid matches of the selected colour. If you're running a team with rainbow actives, then you've hindered at least one of your own powers for a few turns. The power still targets the other team's strongest colour, so you can't even be strategic in targeting a colour which will cause you the least drawback while hindering your opponent the most. If SS was more like Stretchiness (select a tile, destroy that tile and all other tiles of that colour) then it would be a heck of a lot more surgical.

Conversely the buff to Recovery is significant. Since it targets random individual tiles (ie; not an X or square or circle pattern) there is no chance for some of the tiles to be off the board. At rank 5, you will awlays destroy 9 tiles. For 400 damage each. That's 3600 damage. That's ~40% against the new 8670 health class, ~37% against the new 9690 health class, and ~33% against the new 10710 health class. Either Wolverine heals back to full health or your tank loses a third of their health.

IW rework still doesn't really impress me. I don't know why the Invisible Woman still has to leave anything pertaining to Invisibility up to random chance. I guess she makes a whole bunch of protect tiles on the cheap, but I still think Blind Spot has better utility.

She Hulk will probably swap to 3/5/5. Blue was better than her original Green, but still a highly reactionary ability. Her new Green is cheap, so it's almost always going to be an option. It's random, but has potential to undo an enemy cascade. And it'll definitely be the more annoying ability on defense out of the two.

Beast is, well, he's improved. His abilities are still restrained by the caveat of requiring a friendly blue special tile. With one of those in play, his green is probably the 2nd best AoE green ability in terms of damage:ap ratio. Without one, it's 9 AP for 780 team damage. Meanwhile his yellow can create protect tiles if you already created protect tiles using his blue. I can't see any possible build outside of 5/5/3.

Not familar enough with either Elektra or Doc Ock to pass judgement, except for the fact that both still appear unappealing to me.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    In the interest of annoyingly defensive characters, I'm going to be strongly considering a 5-yellow build for Wolverine. Due to the way I acquired covers, I first had him at 3/5/5 and I still miss that 100% heal from time to time. If I respec, I'll go for 5/3/5.

Since SS no longer generates AP, you are equally at a loss for valid matches of the selected colour. If you're running a team with rainbow actives, then you've hindered at least one of your own powers for a few turns. The power still targets the other team's strongest colour, so you can't even be strategic in targeting a colour which will cause you the least drawback while hindering your opponent the most. If SS was more like Stretchiness (select a tile, destroy that tile and all other tiles of that colour) then it would be a heck of a lot more surgical.

Conversely the buff to Recovery is significant. Since it targets random individual tiles (ie; not an X or square or circle pattern) there is no chance for some of the tiles to be off the board. At rank 5, you will awlays destroy 9 tiles. For 400 damage each. That's 3600 damage. That's ~40% against the new 8670 health class, ~37% against the new 9690 health class, and ~33% against the new 10710 health class. Either Wolverine heals back to full health or your tank loses a third of their health.

Rank 3 Surgical to Rank 5 Surgical under the proposed changes is roughly 2461 (against a 9 tile board) vs 7029 against the same board. That's a big price to pay for a slightly stronger Green.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    Rank 3 Surgical to Rank 5 Surgical under the proposed changes is roughly 2461 (against a 9 tile board) vs 7029 against the same board. That's a big price to pay for a slightly stronger Green.

Rank 3 (level 70): 225 per tile
    Rank 5 (level 70): 394 per tile
    Rank 5 (level 270): 781 per tile

Rank 5 sees an increase over 200 levels of ~198%.

An improvement of 198% for Rank 3 would be ~445, which would be 4005 damage on a 9 tile board.
    A damage total of 2461 implies a max damage at Rank 3 of ~273 per tile, which is a 121% increase over 200 levels.
    I was not under the impression that scaling per level also increases with Rank as well as damage, but I've been wrong before. If I am wrong, I wouldn't mind knowing where to look for the information for Rank 3's scaling.

I will still stand by my statement that, damage aside, Surgical Strike leaves the player at just as much of a disadvantage as the opponent - especially considering its untargeted nature. My decision for Rank 5 in Green was for greater cascade potential, however I think a 3/5/5 build could be used with the right teammates against selective strongest colours. For example, paired with Iron Fist against Black, paired with Cyclops against Red, paired with Kamala against Green.