Character design which fits character concept

Options
wirius
wirius Posts: 667
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
One of the things which drew me into MPQ was how well some of the characters abilities hit the theme of the champion.

My personal favorite? Hulk.

I find Hulk's anger perfectly thematic. If you hit Hulk too hard, he get angry, and starts creating lots of green on the battlefield. Hulk gets stronger basically. Also, you don't like him when he's angry! You have to carefully manage Hulk, then finish him off at the end. Wonderful.

Hulk smash, while it could reuse a retuning, is thematically excellent. I loved the fact that if there was too much green, basically anger that wasn't harnessed, Hulk Smash! would also damage allies. Hulk cannot often control his anger, and has often caused problems for his teammates. Excellent.

His green, thunderous clap, is another iconic hulk ability that demonstrated the destruction of the sound wave by randomly destroying lots of tiles. Its unpredictable, and destructive.

Thematically (not balance wise) what is your favorite MPQ champ?

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really like Doom. I feel that he's just at the right level of "cannot be ignored, but maybe isn't a direct threat right now"; particularly when he's paired with someone like Thor or Wolverine.

I also think that Colossus, Loki, Punisher and Rocket + Groot are all good examples.
  • I really like the new Daredevil. The old one was like "ah yes, Daredevil, known for setting up goofy Home Alone traps and waiting for goons to maybe stumble into them." The new DD has much more of a feel of billy club bonking, deceptive strikes, and street fighting
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hulk! For exactly the reasons you mentioned! That is what sold me on MPQ, too. I couldn't believe that you could represent these characters so well in a match-5 game.

Patch is very good too... I love using Berserker Rage and nearly killing him as a consequence, only to bring him back to full health by the end of the match. Lvl 5 Healing Factor is just as relentless as I imagine Wolverine to be.

My new favorite is Cyclops. He's not that complicated, with his nuke/feed nuke/nuke powerset, but then again, it fits him. I'll never tire of Full Blast!

Groot... for I am Groot.
  • Patch is very good too... I love using Berserker Rage and nearly killing him as a consequence, only to bring him back to full health by the end of the match. Lvl 5 Healing Factor is just as relentless as I imagine Wolverine to be.

Heh, I've always found Patch's design to be really weird because Wolverine was initially a pretty one-dimensional "bub clawguy rage bub" character and the original Patch/Madripoor stories were the first stories to give Wolverine a more human, more sensitive side. MPQ Patch, on the other hand, is the most "berserk clawguy" of all the versions of Wolverine!
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    LCap, once his shields get rolling. Tossing the shield out with precision, making matches while it's out, and catching the return, then tossing it right back just feels right for Captain America. The defensive abilities work with the character, too.

2*Cap's inexplicably underpowered red doesn't give that same feeling, but when you moved up to LCap, and the red shield hits for what it should, it really felt good.
  • I think Professor X's powers fit him quite well thematically. His only "active" is "become invisible" and his 3 passives are pretty cool manipulate from the background abilities.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Doom sabotages his own plots because he needs purple AP to set them off.