Simultaneous PVPs

Options
MarvelMan
MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
edited March 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Ive been pondering how to get access to a wider variety of covers as events keep offering ones I just am not interested in, but I know that others still are.

What if they were to offer simultaneous PVP events where they interacted?

Option 1: Good vs Evil (play both)
Have a Hero PVP run concurrently with a Evil PVP, where they cross fight. As in if you are playing the Heroes you get offered teams from the Evil run.
Yeah, things are weighted towards the hero side so it might cause point differentials. Id love suggestions on how to overcome that. They could base progression rewards on combined score (using the season scoring framework).

Option 2: Choose your reward (pick one)
Have the same boosted chars with the opponent pools linked, just have different rewards. Like you can pick to either get IM40 or Luke for placement.

General issues/questions:
Would they need to reduce bracket sizes? How would slices affect it? What other issues have I missed?

Thanks for reading, and feedback.

Comments

• esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Ive been pondering how to get access to a wider variety of covers as events keep offering ones I just am not interested in, but I know that others still are.

What if they were to offer simultaneous PVP events where they interacted?

Option 1: Good vs Evil (play both)
    Have a Hero PVP run concurrently with a Evil PVP, where they cross fight. As in if you are playing the Heroes you get offered teams from the Evil run.
    Yeah, things are weighted towards the hero side so it might cause point differentials. Id love suggestions on how to overcome that. They could base progression rewards on combined score (using the season scoring framework).

I think, with the season framework, you wouldn't have to worry about the balance, because people would play both sides. I'd be more concerned that people would look at it as burnout inducing, as they try to shield hop both sides.

It would be really interesting if they could take the matches for the "Good" side and pick them from the "Evil" side.

Then for flavor or challenge you could buff the villains at different levels than the heroes. Have themed good and bad sides for different runs of the event, like Norse (With Thor/Loki boosted), Spiderman (Spidey/Dr Oct/etc.), and so on.
  • You would need way more villains to make something like this feasible, and I don't think encouraging villains release is a good idea, considering how underwhelming most of them are.

I do think a choose your own reward thing might be cool, but it would interrupt the reward cover into next PvP flow they have going.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    I do think a choose your own reward thing might be cool, but it would interrupt the reward cover into next PvP flow they have going.

Good point. That is kind of a good flow during seasons and possibly why they dont have more Black Vortex type ones. They have also somewhat gotten away from that themselves by introducing the multi-buffs though.

Two options might be not having a required or, and its not quite the same as being able to pick up three covers (for T5), what about the 900 progression being the same for both and the next required?
  • Or have a current vs classic dynamic going. Choice A rewards will be more on the current side, Choice B rewards will be for older characters. The following featured character will always be the more current, but the classic might have softer brackets as the older characters would be "less desirable."

All in all I love the idea of pick a reward, but everyone still competes in the same event, same slice.

The Good vs. Evil sounds more like an off season event, cool but not something people would want to do all the time.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    or how about

one pumped and one non pumped your only allowed to pick one (cant do both) same rewards
  • The non pumped would be dominated by 4* players who then know there is nothing that can compete with them besides other 4* players, thus guaranteeing an easy top 25 if not higher.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Here's a thought....

Choose your own reward amongst the boosted characters for that week. Your choice determines who is FEATURED on your team that event. This still locked you into the same brackets though so various players will have unique team compositions to play against depending on which reward cover they choose. This would add more matchup variety throughout the entire event.
  • Those are great ideas but it'll never happen, they never listen and don't want to make the game fun.
  • How about a PvP where when you get the rewards popup for the cover you have a choice. You get the cover pic and an iso pic and under the iso it says 100,000 iso8.png with 2 little claim buttons. That way instead of the 12th blade cover you are selling you could get 100,000 iso instead of 500.

Builds the 300,000 200,000 100,000 right into their existing system and doesn't interrupt cover flow for people who want them.