Coming Soon: Character Updates!

1222324252628»

Comments

• Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    babinro wrote:

I guess this makes her a lot like 3* Thor. A character whose one-two punch is amazing until your enemies all exceed 10,000 hp and require two or more uses out of the combo.

But this is only because he does an AOE. This shouldn't be equal when she is building up for one giant single target punch.

If you have 2 yellows and 1 green built up for 3* Thor, you are going to wreck.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    tanis3303 wrote:
    So, I tried that same Punisher/Psylocke/Starlord battle again with Loki, Lcap and Xforce and I beat it without losing any of my team members. I'm not outright saying shes worse than Lcap now, but I'm certainly thinking it loudly...

I've been going to 3* Capt. Murika for all my 3x395 battles now. It's slow to get started and he's a bit squishy compared to 4hor, but he feels a lot more reliable in that type of overscaled fight now than 4hor. icon_cry.gif
  • OnyxSnake
    OnyxSnake Posts: 78 Match Maker
    I don't have 4hor or IF in any state to take them off the bench but the new MNM is my favourite 2* now. His red makes up for storms green and you can still get 5 matches. Him and Blade are deadly as well. I still can use the Stormneto combo and actually still used it on hard nodes in the Gauntlet up till the last 5 fights when needed.
  • OnyxSnake
    OnyxSnake Posts: 78 Match Maker
    I don't have 4hor or IF in any state to take them off the bench but the new MNM is my favourite 2* now. His red makes up for storms green and you can still get 5 matches. Him and Blade are deadly as well. I still can use the Stormneto combo and actually still used it on hard nodes in the Gauntlet up till the last 5 fights when needed.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I've tried to run mmags with Mystique to try to pull off the combos. On a good board, I can actually get about 2-3 reps going, compared to previously where you could get 5+ reps going more consistently. You also get some extra red which helps him power up his red as well for a bit of extra damage. I think the combo is about in-line with how mmags/cstorm used to be, nowhere near as powerful as per-nerf, but useable.

However, running Mystique without mmags is more difficult now. She was already pretty vulnerable unless you have someone else to tank her colours, and now she's even more vulnerable and less reliable. While mmags got a little something to make up for his nerf (red tile generation), Mystique just got straight-up nerfed. Sad.
  • However, running Mystique without mmags is more difficult now. She was already pretty vulnerable unless you have someone else to tank her colours, and now she's even more vulnerable and less reliable. While mmags got a little something to make up for his nerf (red tile generation), Mystique just got straight-up nerfed. Sad.

That's why you put her with deadpool. He'll jump in to save her @ss. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Deadpooool wrote:
    However, running Mystique without mmags is more difficult now. She was already pretty vulnerable unless you have someone else to tank her colours, and now she's even more vulnerable and less reliable. While mmags got a little something to make up for his nerf (red tile generation), Mystique just got straight-up nerfed. Sad.

That's why you put her with deadpool. He'll jump in to save her @ss. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Lol. Most of the times I've managed to charge up blue without mmags, almost half her health is already gone just from match damage. ;_;
  • Deadpooool wrote:

Lol. Most of the times I've managed to charge up blue without mmags, almost half her health is already gone just from match damage. ;_;

Then put her with Cage to reduce match damage to her @ss. icon_e_smile.gif

(Though it might turn out to be quite the opposite, #ifyaknowwhattimean #you'llnevergoback icon_mrgreen.gif )
  • Re: Mystique +MagnetoMN

When you are forced to use a required "esssential character", then the Mystique/Magneto Combo, as it stands now, already cannot compensate for Mystiques weakness.
    So it's useless to say add "this character" or "that-one", why would you ever play her now? She was never that strong to begin with.

The everyday, go-to, strongest, teams come from solid Pairings.

Mystique+Magneto were NEVER that - they only came out to play when everything else failed. Which is why I'm particularly sad about their assassinations icon_cry.gif & perplexed about Mystique - when will we use her now?
    Honest Question, because I've spent exactly zero time thinking of the alternatives for her icon_rolleyes.gif
    For now, in my roster - she's benched.
    [but I'll put the thinking glasses + goatee on icon_e_ugeek.gif , read her character discussion thread and try to come up with someting]
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    OnyxSnake wrote:

I managed to use stormneto with hawkeye in all of gauntlet and stormneto in the essentials whenever possible. Its still the most effective team for 2* - 3* transitioners to deal with overscaled opponents although it is a little slower.
  • Mystique problem is that she never was really good on her own. She supposed to be in AP drain group, but her Shapeshift is too slow. oBW, Hood, Loki and Blade (arguably, depends on enemy) are all top tier stealers/deny heroes. Meanwhile she seems to be balanced around having her cd tile survive 8 rounds during which enemy will constantly have cascades. It should at best cost 5 to make her semi-useful. Nobody ever used her for Shapeshift and her only role that isn't overshadowed now by others is ability to create Purple, probably the weakest color in game (unless you still run oBW). But I guess it's easier to overnerf winfinite combo just in case instead of actually making her work 'as intended'.

As for Mags(torm), that combo is still as infinite as ever, because Red giving so much AP. But it's much, much slower to start off. That will bite once you get back to 'usual' PvE consisting of Ares/Hood/Wolv/X + 2x feeders. Before you could stun by turn 3, now that nodes will purely depend on AI RNG.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I think the nerf to Mystique was uncalled for. She wasn't that strong to begin with. If they touched her they should have added a small true healing to her shapeshift power to reflect her healing factor and make up for her low health.

The Thor goddess was hit too hard but i actually enjoyed using the new Magneto. Iron fist is still great but not OP anymore which makes his change one of the most sensible nerfs i've witnessed in this game.
  • I can't speak to Thoress (don't have), or Iron Fist (needs covers), but I'm actually really liking the change in Magneto. I had been using him a lot with Steve Rogers to pump blue for defense, which still seems to work pretty well. Having Magneto now add those red just makes offense faster. I'm testing a new team out with him, and early results seem promising: Magneto, Steve Rogers, and Cyclops. Magneto pumps red/blue with purple, Cyclops pumps red with yellow & hits with black, Steve defends with blue, hits with red, and yellow fuels Cyclops to pump red.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Another team I've been playing around with is Blade/Cyclops/Mmags. Sooo many red tiles....Blade gets sooooooo thirsty icon_e_wink.gif
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Another team I've been playing around with is Blade/Cyclops/Mmags. Sooo many red tiles....Blade gets sooooooo thirsty icon_e_wink.gif

Scott/Hood/SuperSteve is freaking amazing in survival nodes. Its hard NOT to have 30 red. And pretty easy to collect black for either Scott or Hood, and blue just shows up. Not to mention those protect tiles when they resolve.....
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for taking the time to type all of this out, it was a great read. icon_e_smile.gif

I didn't think the small changes to Mystique would really create a big disparaging between pre- and post-nerf. Good to hear some confirmation on that. I've kinda of assumed that those changes were a bit of a stop gap for future heroes that have tile generation abilities. (I also feel like Iron Fist is in the same camp - his changes were small enough not to cause a huge difference and he'll still be one of the best 3*s in the game.)

I played with Magento some today and yesterday and I feel the same way. The specific combo with double/triple Wind Storm is weaker, but Magento is overall much stronger and a better utility. I was playing Thor/Magneto/Storm to much success. Thor makes for a great meat shield, but he's also self-efficient, since he is a battery for himself, but also, the new Red extension to Polarity Shift helps keep/get that going. Wind Storm + Call of the Storm is arguable just as good as double Wind Storm. Besides that, Magnetic Flux is arguably the best Red in 2* Land, so fueling that is pretty awesome.

As for Thorina, I've said it a few times, but I feel like a nerf was needed. She was just too dominate. However, they definitely went to far with the nerf lever. I agree that somewhere around 7 Charged Tiles is probably the sweet spot (and I also feel like they should adjust the damage up on her abilities a little bit).
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Thanks for taking the time to type all of this out, it was a great read. icon_e_smile.gif

I didn't think the small changes to Mystique would really create a big disparaging between pre- and post-nerf. Good to hear some confirmation on that. I've kinda of assumed that those changes were a bit of a stop gap for future heroes that have tile generation abilities. ..

Mystique's Blue was gutted for a fast easy fix to level 5 Master Plan, and very high chances to win turn 1 with pre-nerf Magneto. Master Plan will cause problems with other AP generating (5 match causing) abilities, where it can be the team's strongest color.

Nerfing Mystique for Xavier is a distraction. They needed to push the good professor out the door to meet the release schedule. He had been nerfed once pre-release, and you even see Will make an offhand comment that he will "need to be revisited."

Now Mystique can still be played, but she went from weak to weaker. I think she is now weaker than Psylocke. I know I am probably one of the few people that played her as a 3/5/5 disruption character in PvP, because really, she was too weak before. Taking Infiltration to 10 AP removes it from early disruption.

Take a look and see our new girl get's 8 AP of one color for 8 AP, and tell me that Mystique was over powered to their design philosophy. She wasn't was just unlucky enough to have a blue generation with Prof X. If they would have shifted his Purple to his strongest color, then this issue would be with Iron Fist, but at least then you could surgical strike the invisibility tile, right?
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    As for Thorina, I've said it a few times, but I feel like a nerf was needed. She was just too dominate. However, they definitely went to far with the nerf lever. I agree that somewhere around 7 Charged Tiles is probably the sweet spot (and I also feel like they should adjust the damage up on her abilities a little bit).

Agreed, she was probably broken before the nerf. Sadly, she's still broken now, just the other way. I think 7-8 charge tiles is the right number, or leave it at 5 and add the missing 3,000 damage to Power Surge and we're good. As she stands, she's too slow for what she does, and for the mana you have to stockpile to make her work any number of the 3* red/blue users are just as good if not better.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 2 fixes to 4hor

Either up Power surge to 7-8, I would it rather be 8 tiles only 2 turn stun as a compromise

if not that then

Smite--create 3 charged tiles, then deal 4K plus 724 for each charged tile, that way you can get about 10K for the combo
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    I posted this over in the original character update thread before finding this one (great post btw, tanis, thanks).

I agree MNMags is more of a lateral shift than a nerf, but it's still a nerf.

I've always liked his red and this change really brings him out of the closet. Unfortunately, his blue is worse than ever. Granted, most (if not all of us) are guilty of using Mags as a blue battery; he was efficient at it and his blue is so slloooww and exposed. Who wants to use a power that when fully covered costs 13ap and places a 4 turn CD; and when not fully covered is usually about half effective at both damage and board shake-up since the AI likes to place CD tiles along the edge of the board? (That may not be common for everybody but has been my experience.) I imagine the original intent of Polarity Shift was to feed Iron Hammer and if it were not so slow IH would be a top tier power when fully covered.

A couple humbly suggested tweaks:

1) Lower the cost for Iron Hammer or reduce the CD tile a couple rounds, preferably the later.

2) Give control of tile placement for both Iron Hammer & Magnetic Flux to the player. This will allow the new red tiles from PS to be more pertinent, ie, faster--I don't know about anyone else but I like to make sure the board is clear of possible matches before I use any random tile placement abilities.

These changes will bring MNMags into his own without over-powering him or creating any game unbalancing combos.