*** Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) ***

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nylarx wrote:
    Both existing FF characters use green so he might have been designed to be able to support those abilities.

But what about the third member of the FF that is currently ingame - the amazing Bagman?
    There's also She-Hulk, Black Panther and Storm...
  • Is this GSBW's surprise re-work?

Because there is, literally, no reason to have this character and the current GSBW in the same game.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    4/4/5 won't hamper their punch too much, while giving a very small bump to their heal, but I don't feel like a set of characters exist currently to optimize for her heal.

If you don't consider a 20% increased chance of cascade and 1-2 more green generated over a 4 cover, then yeah, not too much icon_rolleyes.gif

I can now say though, without question Luke Cage and this gal would essentially be the greatest defense duo in the game. Giving Cage's black is better to wait to cast, but at 6AP you could essentially use it every few turns and erase all the damage that slipped through your shields
  • My first thought upon seeing that greenflag.png is how laughably bad it makes new Ragnarok look. More damage for less AP and without the self-damage. And this new character has a better accelerator skill too. Knowing exactly which tiles are gonna be converted to green should be fantastic. Too bad the AI will be completely incapable of using it correctly.

yellowflag.png seems like it will be one of the better health-burst abilities, second only to OBW's Anti-Gravity Device.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    My first thought upon seeing that greenflag.png is how laughably bad it makes new Ragnarok look. More damage for less AP and without the self-damage. And this new character has a better accelerator skill too. Knowing exactly which tiles are gonna be converted to green should be fantastic. Too bad the AI will be completely incapable of using it correctly.

yellowflag.png seems like it will be one of the better health-burst abilities, second only to OBW's Anti-Gravity Device.

I would say better since you don't have to actually get AP to use it
  • If AGD only did healing, then sure. But the countdown delay is super-useful in any fight with goons.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    The clue was that it was a female shapeshifter, and there are numerous reasons to think Marvel isn't currently licensing out Fantastic Four characters.
    Ah, okay. I didn't know about the female clue. Oh well.

I don't think the alleged FF embargo really applies in this case anyway. Maybe it will affect new FF books or cartoons or whatever, but it's not going to affect the use of FF characters in Marvel ensemble games. That doesn't really make any sense.
    Quebbster wrote:
    Nylarx wrote:
    Both existing FF characters use green so he might have been designed to be able to support those abilities.

But what about the third member of the FF that is currently ingame - the amazing Bagman?
    There's also She-Hulk, Black Panther and Storm...
    Lol alright icon_razz.gifOriginal FF members.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    The clue was that it was a female shapeshifter, and there are numerous reasons to think Marvel isn't currently licensing out Fantastic Four characters.
    Ah, okay. I didn't know about the female clue. Oh well.

I don't think the alleged FF embargo really applies in this case anyway. Maybe it will affect new FF books or cartoons or whatever, but it's not going to affect the use of FF characters in Marvel ensemble games. That doesn't really make any sense.
    Marvel still has to clear characters when they're introduced - which has become clear from stuff the devs had said - and they could simply refuse to clear any FF characters, which is the rumor (and a memo has leaked from an artist to that effect).

It's possible the rumors are wrong, but there's a lot of circumstantial evidence in this particular case: three of the highest profile Marvel characters not in this game, probably the three highest profile missing characters outside of the X-Men, are part of that license: Thing, Mr. Fantastic, and Silver Surfer. No characters associated with that license have debuted since Human Torch, and the most recent version of him was released last July, almost nine months ago. They're conspicuously absent at this point.

I'll believe I'm right unless and until MPQ releases another character that's associated with the FF cinematic license, which is primarily Thing, Mr. Fantastic, and Silver Surfer, though a few others like Annihilus or (in some form) Galactus could potentially make it as well. Absent them, I'm assuming the rumored licensing freeze is in effect.

And businesses don't always make decisions that make sense. They're still run by people, and people are frequently irrational.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    I know I'm going to come across as a bad guy here, but I think this character is a little too powerful, (but not IF powerful). You've basically given 3* players the equivalent of the MNMags/CStorm combo all in one character! (minus the stun)
    Purple: This is more powerful than Thunder Strike as a transformational weapon. The only reason it's 'acceptable' is because of IF's IFoKL which I still think is over powered. I think if they lowered the number of random tiles created by 1, it'd be more balanced.

Green: This does more base damage than CoTS, and is 2 AP less. Combine that with a cheaper, more reliable green accelerator, and it doesn't make sense game balance wise. This should do 10-15% less damage at max level. I agree with NorthernPolarity in that the power is too heavily weighted at the back end. I'd prefer damage distribution closer to: (only changing the top cover)

Team AoE damage - 12 greentile.png AP
    Deals 411 damage to the enemy team.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Deals 493 damage to the enemy team. Level 3: Deals 575 damage to the enemy team. Level 4: Deals 740 damage to the enemy team. Level 5: Deals 950 damage to the enemy team. (previously 1069)
    Max Level
      Level 3 - Deals 1826 damage to the enemy team. Level 4 - Deals 2347 damage to the enemy team. Level 5 - Deals 3012 damage to the enemy team. (previously 3390)

It's still as good as CoTS considering it costs 2 AP less and the green accelerator comparisons.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    the problem with comparing it with CotS is that you forget all 3 of LThors abilities do damage and 2 of his are batteries for his next ability. LThor yellow being the best yellow ability in the game (arguably).

This character, Super Skrull probably, has only 1 damaging ability. His other 2 do no damage, top it off with LThors massive health and he still wins by far.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man, reading is hard. I read her purple as 'select one and converts other random basic." Was kinda lost as to why GSBW placing 6 tiles wasn't considered better than that.

Totally missed the "of the same color" part. So much for GSBW being professor's best friend, this character will be. After first cast, very likely there'd be little to no colors left except green when you're done with the combo.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    mjh wrote:
    the problem with comparing it with CotS is that you forget all 3 of LThors abilities do damage and 2 of his are batteries for his next ability. LThor yellow being the best yellow ability in the game (arguably).

This character, Super Skrull probably, has only 1 damaging ability. His other 2 do no damage, top it off with LThors massive health and he still wins by far.
    Yeah, I was gunna say, you can't discount that LThor's yellow does (pretty good) damage, AND LThor has more health.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Man, reading is hard. I read her purple as 'select one and converts other random basic." Was kinda lost as to why GSBW placing 6 tiles wasn't considered better than that.

Totally missed the "of the same color" part. So much for GSBW being professor's best friend, this character will be. After first cast, very likely there'd be little to no colors left except green when you're done with the combo.
    Yeah, while it's more random than GSBW's, and less likely to guarantee (multiple) crits, I like it for it's ability to deny enemy colors. No blue for you 4hor!
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Just in case people aren't fully up on their show biz rumors, the deal with the Fantastic Four is....
    .... that Marvel is RUMORED (rumor rumor rumor, this is not an assertion of fact!) to sorta want the forthcoming FF film to fail, and fail miserably. There is the belief that if the reboot fails, the current licenseholder of the FF rights -- that would be Fox -- would be more willing to revert the rights back to Marvel/Disney, either by agreement or by letting the license lapse per its own terms. (While the agreements aren't actually published anywhere, so we don't know the specifics, they usually contain provisions that say if the licensee does not utilize the license for a given period of time, the licensing agreement is considered terminated.)

The new Marvel (i.e. post-Disney purchase) would LOOOOOVE to undo all of the licenses done by Marvel Comics prior to the purchase, because even though Fox's X-Men films make them a lot of money, it's a fraction of what they could make if they made the films themselves. Fox has no interest in getting rid of the X-Men -- even the bad X-Men films turned a profit -- but they might be willing to abandon the Fantastic Four if it's not economical for them to keep producing films of them.

So, bottom line: I fully expect to see Marvel nudge Demiurge towards including Vision or Ultron or the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver pair to tie in to the Age of Ultron release... but I'd be shocked to see a Thing or Reed Richards character added to tie in to the FF movie.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    onimus wrote:
    Is this GSBW's surprise re-work?

Because there is, literally, no reason to have this character and the current GSBW in the same game.
    That's true for PvE, certainly. But the trend that I see with the most recent characters is an emphasis on PvP worthy, dummy-proof (AI-proof) abilities. That's what makes them appealing even if they do things that you've seen and played before.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    mjh wrote:

I think the comparison is very reasonable to LazyThor. Your explanation makes sense in theory, but the reality is that no one uses his red because its extremely underwhelming in general. LazyThor is predominately Thunder Strike -> CtS, and this new character is predominantly purple->green. I'd argue that the new character's passive is even better than Lazythor's red, given how mediocre that ability is. The other thing you need to ask yourself is whether or not 2k damage off the thunderstrike is better than purple just costing 3 AP less. I would argue that the abilities are a lot closer than they look just because of how slow thunder strike is and how fast this purple is: it's a pretty fair tradeoff

LazyThor has two advantages over this character:
    1. Almost 50% more health, which is pretty important.
    2. Better spike on a single target. Thunder strike into CtS dealing 6-7k damage on one guy is generally more valuable than this guys purple into grene for 4.5k damage on 1 target.

The health makes LazyThor OP tier compared to this character, but this character isn't very far off, and is still high tier around Cage, Cyc and the like.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    daibar wrote:
    I know I'm going to come across as a bad guy here, but I think this character is a little too powerful, (but not IF powerful). You've basically given 3* players the equivalent of the MNMags/CStorm combo all in one character! (minus the stun)
    Purple: This is more powerful than Thunder Strike as a transformational weapon. The only reason it's 'acceptable' is because of IF's IFoKL which I still think is over powered. I think if they lowered the number of random tiles created by 1, it'd be more balanced.

Green: This does more base damage than CoTS, and is 2 AP less. Combine that with a cheaper, more reliable green accelerator, and it doesn't make sense game balance wise. This should do 10-15% less damage at max level. I agree with NorthernPolarity in that the power is too heavily weighted at the back end. I'd prefer damage distribution closer to: (only changing the top cover)

Ok A) Stop calling for nerfs to characters before you even play them. And 2) This character deserves better than Thor's damage because she has 6800 health.

To me, this is the devs giving legitimacy to L.Thor's power level. 10200 health with his damage level is A-OK apparently. Adjust other characters accordingly. (Which to me means 4Thor needs something along the lines of a 1031 damage per AP ability to be 160% as strong as LThor.)
  • Yeah, as was pointed out to me and has been mentioned several times by other posters at this point, health pool is a major factor that needs to be taken into account when looking at these characters.

Though, this argument also makes me wonder why Mohawk Storm isn't much more dangerous...
  • I really like the more "puzzl-y" aspect of this purple. Some thought will have to go into which color needs to be changed in order to get the most AP. I like it.

Also, what's the ETA for this character? Any ideas?
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2015
    You know, I like really her passive. I might go 5/3/5 if I get the opportunity. As the Player, that one placed greentile.png tile might be worth more to me than all the random tiles. At Lvl 5 purpleflag.png , you'll use it like Lvl 3 Technopathic Strike, but at Lvl 3 purpleflag.png , you'll use it like Lvl 1 Polarity Shift. I like Polarity Shift. True, the AI will do better with Lvl 5 purpleflag.png, but I don't play those games, the AI does. Either way, I think this power is on the weak side of the color change power spectrum.

The healing passive just seems to interesting to ignore. Not to mention that team healing is going to be handy to counter the team damage you're going take in her featured PvPs.

Pair with any True Healing tank (Daken), or characters that distribute the damage around (Colossus and Deadpool), cheap abilities (Dino), or another team healer (Spidey) and you've got a new kind of team in your arsenal. I really like the idea of healing every time Colossus fires Immovable Object or getting a double dose of Spidey healing each time. But not you Beast; I'm probably going to sell you to make room for Ms Shapeshifter.