*** Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) ***

Comments

• I see this and feel like it's gonna be another IF issue after release.

But for the Character 5/3/5 can be viable pending the right team. 3/5/5 if you want the character to stand alone by itself. But I feel this character could be a 4/4/5 myself.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5 is without question the most optimal build for reliability.

4/4/5 won't hamper their punch too much, while giving a very small bump to their heal, but I don't feel like a set of characters exist currently to optimize for her heal.

To really take advantage of her heal, you need to have low cost abilities. The first thing that comes to mind is Daken, which makes a neat little sustained climbing team. They can generate green for more Daken strike tiles and then use them for a pretty bangin' AoE. There's Punisher/Psylocke which can definitely use the healing, so that could be neat. Devil Dinosaur? icon_lol.gif

My point is, the jump from 3 Yellow to 4 Yellow is relatively small, and there's no teams that can currently truly "abuse" it, so there's no reason to put more than 3 covers into it.

If there comes a point where that's not the case anymore, the Purple is 100% of the time the 5 cover candidate. You can sub in a better Green on someone else (Thor, X-Force, and Storm come to mind), if you want to, or use the slightly neutered 4 cover green on the new character, but until then, 3/5/5 is pretty much the only worthy build.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I'm thinking purple could be really good with a 5/5/3 Doom. Technopathic Strike, turn all blue to black, then hit purple on black. After the initial black matches there's a good chance you're turning all the remaining black to green virtually eliminating two colors from the board. Throw in ProX and any resulting crits are going to demolish the opposing team. Not much good for PVP defence but it could definitely be fun.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    The way I see it, since the yellow is fake healing I really don't care if I get 1 hp or 1000 hp since it's all going away again at the end of the match. I'm not going to discount the definite benefits from getting a small top-up on health, but, there it is. Anyway, it seems to me that maxing out the abilities which are going to help me KO guys faster are actually going to be of greater benefit to my health pools.

Purple is strong. I think it's probably right at the bullseye of what demiurge want to achieve consistently - an ability which seems OP but is actually just strong.

Green feels OP. Maybe it's also actually just strong, I still don't know. It's certainly more appealing than Rag. It compares well against Rage of the Panther (same cost, slightly less damage, doesn't give away AP), also compares well against Call the Storm (slightly better average damage for less AP).

Yellow will be useful for covering match damage if you can fire off other abilities often enough, but ultimately the only build to ever consider is 3/5/5.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Is there any chance by shapeshifter they mean someone sneaky who might imitate other individuals and was recently unvaulted, had some mechanics reworked that couldn't quite be fixed before the next season started?

Or if not, can I just trade Gsbw for the gsbw 2.0 PvP capable model who is slightly worse with Xavier and better in every other example?

Oh the plus side, finally another properly priced burst healing skill.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2015
    The power set seems pretty solid, squarely in the top tier pretty close to LThor I'd say. Green compares very favorably to CtS, and purple to Thunder Strike.

(Of course, gamar argues that the top tier is a bit high, but I digress.)
    My biggest complaint about this is that it doesn't really feel like the powerset of a shape-shifter, if this is indeed KK.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    The way I see it, since the yellow is fake healing I really don't care if I get 1 hp or 1000 hp since it's all going away again at the end of the match. I'm not going to discount the definite benefits from getting a small top-up on health, but, there it is. Anyway, it seems to me that maxing out the abilities which are going to help me KO guys faster are actually going to be of greater benefit to my health pools.

Purple is strong. I think it's probably right at the bullseye of what demiurge want to achieve consistently - an ability which seems OP but is actually just strong.

Green feels OP. Maybe it's also actually just strong, I still don't know. It's certainly more appealing than Rag. It compares well against Rage of the Panther (same cost, slightly less damage, doesn't give away AP), also compares well against Call the Storm (slightly better average damage for less AP).

Yellow will be useful for covering match damage if you can fire off other abilities often enough, but ultimately the only build to ever consider is 3/5/5.

Agreed on the 3/5/5. Wanted to clarify something about yellow though: you should be comparing it more to Cage's red than to some healing ability like Spidey yellow. The fact that its free means it is a lot better than it looks (although its clearly not good enough to get away from 3/5/5).
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Trisul wrote:
    The power set seems pretty solid, squarely in the top tier pretty close to LThor I'd say. Green compares very favorably to CtS, and purple to Thunder Strike.

(Of course, gamar argues that the top tier is a bit high, but I digress.)
    My biggest complaint about this is that it doesn't really feel like the powerset of a shape-shifter, if this is indeed KK.

I agree with your hidden comment. Thoughts in the spoiler space....
    If it is Kamala, I could sort of see the self-generating AOE attack -- she evaluates the situation and embiggens her power accordingly. It's the radiant heal I don't get. She should self-heal, like Rocket & Groot, as that's her power. Maybe it's supposed to reflect her altruism? Coming to the aid of her friends, or something like that?

On the other hand, Black Widow's group heal doesn't make any character sense at all... so hey, why not give one to Kamala?
  • DaveR4470 wrote:
    If it is Kamala, I could sort of see the self-generating AOE attack -- she evaluates the situation and embiggens her power accordingly.
    It's a perfectly cromulent power.
  • Mawtful
    Agreed on the 3/5/5. Wanted to clarify something about yellow though: you should be comparing it more to Cage's red than to some healing ability like Spidey yellow. The fact that its free means it is a lot better than it looks (although its clearly not good enough to get away from 3/5/5).

Yep. After I wrote up my thoughts on Purple and Green, I realised "hey, that passive is comparable to Cage and we love him, maybe it has some use after all." I wasn't going to go back and rewrite the post, so I tried to sneak something in the last line. Free team healing is pretty good. It is slightly weaker since it requires allies to be using abilities, so you might not be getting it every turn, and if Unknown is the last person standing, then they get no heals. I think that over the course of a game, you'll likely come close to "negating" match damage, which is not something to turn your nose up. Like we've already said, the biggest problem is that the ability achieves this at Rank 3, so there's no need to invest further.

Anyway, I'll stand by my statement that this character is pretty close to the target of what demiurge want to achieve - a character which may appear OP at first but is just strong all round. Additionally, Yellow/Purple/Green is cool (that's a new combo, right?).
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    For me, I see that yellow as sustainable TEAM playing. Instead of taking say 15% damage per match, I'm taking 5%, so health packs are used much more sparingly. If you can go into battle and get a quick ability off first turn, (boosts?) you might take 0% overall damage. However if you're using this character for high level PVP, there's no way you're not going 3/5/5. A health pack is cheaper than extra shields.

The way I see hops working best is Thor 3*:
    Boost All 3+, Blue/Purple 2+, Red/Yellow 3+.
    Turn 1 match yellow
    Turn 2 match purple
    Turn 3 match yellow
    Turn 4 Thunder Strike into ? Purple into double (or triple?) Green. Should take out most of the other team, and the CoTS damage distribution helps you deal with enemy tanks if need be.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    Additionally, Yellow/Purple/Green is cool (that's a new combo, right?).

Unfortunatey no, see Squirrel Girl. If only that Yellow could have been black...
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    This is a fairly simple character who looks pretty powerful. Has a "burst of health" move that isn't garbage. Looks like a potential XF Wolverine partner. 3/5/5, or 5/5/3 with XFW.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    With a lucky draw on a squirrel girl cover, I now have at least one cover for each three star... until this character comes out. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Mawtful
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Squirrel Girl

NEqyWj0clSKUur_1_4.jpg
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    You don't think that it could be...
    The Vision

...do you?
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I know the general consensus is that this will be
    Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)

But I think it might be Mr Fantastic (Reed Richards)

He's a shapeshifter. As already pointed out, a health burst ability doesn't seem to fit thematically with a shapshifting character but perhaps Reed can heal his teammates using some technological gadgets. (Although to be fair it's not like many of the health burst abilities in this game makes a lot of sense, like Reprieve). The character also has a green tile generating ability, and that might fit into his role as the leader of the Fantastic Four. Both existing FF characters use green so he might have been designed to be able to support those abilities.
  • konannfriends
    konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    Only Jesus Knows how much im going to grind for this character.

But i atleast know i will getting 3
  • Nylarx
    Nylarx Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Both existing FF characters use green so he might have been designed to be able to support those abilities.

But what about the third member of the FF that is currently ingame - the amazing Bagman?
  • I know the general consensus is that this will be
    Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)

But I think it might be Mr Fantastic (Reed Richards)

He's a shapeshifter. As already pointed out, a health burst ability doesn't seem to fit thematically with a shapshifting character but perhaps Reed can heal his teammates using some technological gadgets. (Although to be fair it's not like many of the health burst abilities in this game makes a lot of sense, like Reprieve). The character also has a green tile generating ability, and that might fit into his role as the leader of the Fantastic Four. Both existing FF characters use green so he might have been designed to be able to support those abilities.
    The clue was that it was a female shapeshifter, and there are numerous reasons to think Marvel isn't currently licensing out Fantastic Four characters.