*** Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) ***

Comments

• I'd say IF got the tamest nerf outta the bunch...
    The 2 less conversion tiles ain't that bad i guess.
    Everyone keep quiet so they dont change it!! lol
  • akiratang wrote:
    I'd say IF got the tamest nerf outta the bunch...
    The 2 less conversion tiles ain't that bad i guess.
    Everyone keep quiet so they dont change it!! lol

the paradox is we CAN'T keep quiet because there's things we actually want fixed, fixed. I wanted them to nerf IF.

I didn't want every "infinite" character to be nerfed.

I mean, 3*Cap/Falcon can go thru goon nodes with no health loss, are we gonna nerf them too? I mean, Top PVP teams are still top PVP teams - why do they care so much about infinites...ugh....I'm frustrated
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I were in charge of changes I'd leave green as is, make the nerf that was made to purple and change black to fire off when anyone on the team casts an ability (which they apparently have figured out how to program in with Professor X). To compensate, change the wording on black to friendly green attack tile to mostly guarantee that his will always go up (Psylocke's and Doc Oc's are black, Blade is purple, lolbeast is blue. Could have conflict with Professor X yellow and Punisher black). His purple is cheap enough that it should be fairly easy to keep black up and has a very minor amount of counter play involved.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    I used some saved HP to get 3 more Purple covers and I'll have him at 166 in a few days. The 5 purpletile.png for 7 blacktile.png conversion is still really good. If you have a decent number of black on the board and 10 purpletile.png (which is surprisingly easy) it's super cascade time
  • Btw if the changes go through I'm predicting right here a 100% switch to IF XF from the current GT XF.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    ark123 wrote:
    Btw if the changes go through I'm predicting right here a 100% switch to IF XF from the current GT XF.
    The problem I'm finding with this combo is that you quickly reach a point where you have a ton of black, but not enough tiles of the opponent's strongest color are still on the board to make it worth using. Having a second black user would help a lot.
  • woopie
    I don't know, IF is still really quishy at the end of PVPs. Plus 4or still has a decent stun which is always handy if you want to get a healing tile down before finishing a match
  • woopie wrote:
    I don't know, IF is still really quishy at the end of PVPs. Plus 4or still has a decent stun which is always handy if you want to get a healing tile down before finishing a match
    Doesn't matter if you're killing 3 nodes and shielding.
  • please notice that between iron fist, mystique and maxed profX the strongest color is blue, which means every time his power activates he still produces 4 blue.

Interesting how that goes, huh.
  • simonsez wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Btw if the changes go through I'm predicting right here a 100% switch to IF XF from the current GT XF.
    The problem I'm finding with this combo is that you quickly reach a point where you have a ton of black, but not enough tiles of the opponent's strongest color are still on the board to make it worth using. Having a second black user would help a lot.

At this Point you IF purpleflag.png the high power color person in the face, killing them, and switching the SS color to something there is more of on the board.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finding some fun pairing with him in PvE.

IF/Blade--very nice, you just sit back while their passives go to work, I through Luke Cage into the mix on this one, it's a very intersting combo, you have lots of overlap, but, it also gives you plenty of options. Like do I use IF's purple right away or save for Blades? I usually opt for an early Blade Nightstalker, then save it up for Cage, if the board has lots of strike tiles I save for purple, if hardly any, then I go for IF's purple.

IF/Gamora--this one is being talked about, it's very nice as IF can quickly get purple for Gamora and as long as Gamora is in front, she gets all her colors

IF/Cage--pretty obvious but fun

IF/XForce (Against a purple strongest user)--This is like an infinite combo. IFoKL into black, into surgical strike which steals purple, which allows you to IFoKL again, which usually has cascaded you enough green to reset the board and surgical strike again.

IF is quickly moving into an A team for my PvE. Daken/Blade/Falcon may soon have a partner. With Grocket, IF, Cage quickly proving their worth in PvE, I think I may have to shake things up.

While I like the idea of pairing Grocket and Falcon, they don't work very well together, because you want to match blue, and Falcon tanks it which isn't good, it's one thing with Daken since you don't need much to have blue on standby, but Grocket you do. Daken/Falcon are a perma duo, you cannot seperate the 2 at this time, but Cage provides a nice third over Blade because it still gives you the black outlet, but you gain yellow for purple plus a shield, and now Falcon can sit in the background since you wont' be matching purple anytime soon.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    So now that a few players seem to have him maxed - what's the collective real experience with his power level? Do you feel like he'll be on your A team even post nerf (which I think is relatively fair and doesn't castrate the character)?
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    evil panda wrote:
    So now that a few players seem to have him maxed - what's the collective real experience with his power level? Do you feel like he'll be on your A team even post nerf (which I think is relatively fair and doesn't castrate the character)?
    With just 5 purple, a level 53 IF was already on my PvE A team.

The upcoming nerf is actually very significant, but it just goes to show how absurdly strong that ability initially was, that after this giant nerf the ability is STILL going to incredibly strong, and maybe still overpowered. This is still the fastest AP accelerator in the game (God forbid you have 10 AP and can use it twice in a row), and supports a strong color which includes the best ability of the best hero in the game.

For PvP, the only potential problem with the XFist pairing is Xor. XFist doesn't defend well against Xor due to low HP pools, and struggles against the massive HP and red color strength on offense. XMags is a much better offensive team against Xor, which we'll probably still see a lot, since Xor is still very strong against everything except the mirror.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    evil panda wrote:

Yeah, this guy is top tier in 3* land. The nerf while big just brings him a little more in line, essentially instead of cascading into 4-8 black AP, you might have to match into 4-8 AP.

In order to effectively use him though, you have to be aware of black. Is he solo material?

I love the atttack tile though, it's so nice to be albe to take down low health targets like Hood with it or essentially stop the healing of Daken
  • woopie
    Don't think he's solo material as he doesn't do much until he gathers a bunch of black AP. Even after that, you have to hope you can collect even more purple. Pair him up with a good black user and he's fantastic though. I took out a 395 Ares/Venom/Bullseye node with IF/XFW/4or and took less than 500 damage per character once the purple/black combo started rolling in. Sure some of that was lucky cascades, but the potential is amazing.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Good opinions, thanks. I feel he will be murderous with that black user like Xforce and am thinking that he might even supplant GT as a second to XF (not sure about that though because...16k health), or a third wheel when the event doesn't have a featured character. Just wanted to see what others thought
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Personal experience.. Its been spotty. Depends on who the feature is. He was fantastic in GSBW cause he could feed black for SS that could then get all the purples and keep cycling. He also was able to get defensive wins.

He is terrible to use in Doctors Orders though. Then your only blue outlet changes blue tiles black... which you just wiped out with your surgical strike. Matches took way too long. And no defensive wins. Ended up using cmags instead at the end.

I expect him to be good in the Cyclops event, but we'll see.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chief270 wrote:
    He is terrible to use in Doctors Orders though. Then your only blue outlet changes blue tiles black... which you just wiped out with your surgical strike. Matches took way too long. And no defensive wins. Ended up using cmags instead at the end.

Doom just isn't a great partner for Iron Fist in general. Your black spender creates additional strike tiles which stop ET from firing. On top of that, XForce becomes an awkward 3rd wheel in that team. As stated, you SS Blue and then can't spend it because there's no blue left. That being said, I actually liked IF in Doctor's Orders more than I expected. I would hold off and use Technopathic Strike first, then follow it up with IFoKL. That guaranteed huge cascades - almost the equivalent of resetting the board entirely. I ran with Black Panther as my third for most of it, and if I had 10 purple AP, then following the cascades I could use IFoKL's attack mode and 2 RotP (~10k to one enemy and ~6k to the other two). I had nearly a 50/50 split on defensive wins/losses.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Finding some fun pairing with him in PvE.
    Me too!
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    IF/Blade--very nice, you just sit back while their passives go to work, I through Luke Cage into the mix on this one, it's a very intersting combo, you have lots of overlap, but, it also gives you plenty of options. Like do I use IF's purple right away or save for Blades? I usually opt for an early Blade Nightstalker, then save it up for Cage, if the board has lots of strike tiles I save for purple, if hardly any, then I go for IF's purple.
    Tried this. Didn't love it. It's okay for smashing easy nodes (particularly with Daken), but Blade isn't dependable enough as a strike tile generator on his own, and it almost never seems like Keep Your Enemies Closer is the best use for your purple. If a Nightstalker or two is going to wrap it up, it's fine. In anything longer I feel like there are much better options.
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    IF/Gamora--this one is being talked about, it's very nice as IF can quickly get purple for Gamora and as long as Gamora is in front, she gets all her colors
    With Grocket on board as a third, this is becoming my new favorite team. Everything about this plays into IF's strengths. Strike tiles make his attack tile that much nastier, and you can throw a bunch of nukes into the mix if you need to burn someone down fast. Plus Grocket can eat some big shots and regen if needed. Really like how this team plays. Highly recommended.
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    IF/Cage--pretty obvious but fun
    IF/XForce (Against a purple strongest user)--This is like an infinite combo. IFoKL into black, into surgical strike which steals purple, which allows you to IFoKL again, which usually has cascaded you enough green to reset the board and surgical strike again.
    Got a lot of use out of these three together in The Hunt, particularly on those nodes, as you say, where Surgical steals purple. Prior to IF, I'd generally bring Deadpool as a purple outlet, but IF moves things along without having to wait on 14 for Whales. Cage keeps the match damage down and threatens to put someone down with Uppercut. No outlets for red or blue makes this kind of a niche team, but still fun.
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    IF is quickly moving into an A team for my PvE.
    He's pretty much already there for me, and the best part is he hangs out in the back for a lot of them, so he doesn't take a lot of damage. Usually means I can rotate people around him and keep on truckin'.

One really obvious partner for him that you didn't mention is BP. Between accelerating purple into black and his attack tile whittling people down quickly, it's really easy to set up a game ending kitty claw. CMags is a good third for a red/blue outlet, ditto for Cap, or even She-Hulk or DD to taste.

Mystique is a good IF teammate as well, though I mostly like these two together for goons where you can control the board. Infiltration becomes an option to get things rolling on boards with more blue than purple . Then you can pick out the purple matches and land a really big blacksplosion. The collective nerfs will throw a bit of a wrench into this synergy, but still likely to be quite strong and fun. Third, as above, is mostly a question of who's featured, available, and preferred.

I'll put in one more plug for IF as third wheel on my new Best There Is team with Patch and Daken. Not super efficient, but good for some of those goon feeder nodes where you're looking down the barrel of some unavoidable damage. The regenerators eat damage while you load up red, green, and purple. Meanwhile you're chipping away with Daken/IF's strike/attack tiles. When you're ready, nuke away.

And I'm really in danger of having buried the lead here, but the top offensive team for me has to be X-Force/CMags/IF. Full rainbow coverage for Surgical gains (though yellow is still kind of a soft color), tons of cascades and board shakes, and nukes everywhere. This team puts people down, fast. If you boost purple into black, it's pretty much over before it starts.

All around, IF is just really good. Even after his purple takes a hit, he's still going to be really good. His attack tile is nasty, his purple makes anyone with a strong black power that much better, and his largely ignored green is totally usable in a pinch. It's actually harder to find teams he doesn't fit into than ones that he does.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, how is playing with him after the nerf? I have some HP to spare and I am wondering now that he has already been nerfed (and I suposse he is not going to be nerfed again soon) to buy one or two purple covers so I can start using him. Is he still worth it?