What Are You Listening To?

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    1989 - Highlights include Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe's eponymous first (and only studio) album (amazing show at the NEC in Birmingham), No Frontiers by Mary Black, Eat Me In St Louis by It Bites and The Rankin Family's eponymous first album. If I wasn't limiting myself to 4 I'd also add Seasons End by Marillion, the first album with Steve Hogarth.
  • Moon Roach
    1990 - A quiet year, only 5 albums and 3 of those are Asia. So, highlights include Fare Thee Well Love by The Rankin Family, Amarok (it's bonkers) by Mike Oldfield, and Here And Now by Asia.
  • You are most likely right, you need to be in a good place in you head to have the patience and attitude to listening to something new, but it is good to be pushed along and given a chance to listen to something else...thank-you
  • Moon Roach
    1991 - A mixed bag. Highlights include Welcome To The Wild Country by Francis Dunnery, We Can't Dance by Genesis, Roll The Bones by Rush (awesome opening 3 tracks), and Union by Yes. Granted most of the playing on Union wasn't actually by members of Yes, the tour was as mighty as mighty can be.
  • Moon Roach
    1992 - Another fairly quiet year, only 8 albums. Highlights include Bigger, Better, Faster, More! by 4 Non Blondes, Aqua by Asia (the beginning of the John Payne era), Images And Words by Dream Theater, and Dream by Kitaro.
  • Moon Roach
    1993 - 14 albums to choose from. Highlights include Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries, North Country by The Rankin Family, Wakeman With Wakeman's eponymous first album, and The Honesty Room by Dar Williams
  • Moon Roach
    1994 - 17 to choose from. Highlights include Awake by Dream Theater, Brave by Marillion, The Flower King by Roine Stolt (effectively the first album by The Flower Kings), and Battle Lines by John Wetton. If I was highlighting 5 I'd also include Talk by Yes, the last album with Trevor Rabin.
  • The Offspring's Smash.
  • Fear Factory - Obsolete
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Gramatik - Street Bangerz Vol. 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FijBkSvN6N8
  • Moon Roach
    1995 - 12 to choose from. Highlights include Tall Blonde Helicopter by Francis Dunnery, Back In The World Of Adventures by The Flower Kings, Who Do You Think I Am by Sinead Lohan and The Light by Spock's Beard
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Time for a Rush fest, starting with Fly By Night all the way to Clockwork Angels.

(I don't have the first album with John Rutsey on drums.)

I saw them live during the Snakes and Arrows Tour. Midway through, Geddy goes, "Az we are no longer spreng checks, we must nigh take an intermession" in the thickest Glaswegian accent he could muster. Neal then walk-sprinted off stage, as though he needed a bathroom break furiously.
    Wolfmother - Joker and the Theif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySjXFjLTagQ

Shame they never attained the greatness of that first album. It was REALLY good, though.

I get on these rolls where I just queue up a HEAP of QoTSA and The Black Keys, my current favorite bands. A buddy of mine who got me into this game would take a break (when he worked from home) and learn a song. Here's him playing one of my favorite Homme tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqKlltUiokk

I wish for all of you to badger his channel with "COME BACK TO MPQ requests", because I've sent him tokens for over a freaking year. He's got to have at least 100k ISO coming to him. All of us former guildies and FB friends have been hooking him up.
  • Moon Roach
    1996 - 20 to choose from. Highlights include Alisha Rules The World by Alisha's Attic, The Tokyo Tapes by Steve Hackett, Victor by Alex Lifeson and Keys To Ascension by Yes
  • Moon Roach
    1997 - 17 to choose from. Highlights include If Summer Had Its Ghosts by Bill Bruford, Stardust We Are by The Flower Kings, Calling All Stations by Genesis, and End Of The Summer by Dar Williams. Honourable mention to Open Your Eyes by Yes, not a classic but kept them going and started a series of amazingly good tours. Igor Khoroshev, what ever happened to you?

Calling All Stations is the Genesis album that is whitewashed from history. Poor Ray Wilson, treated very shoddily by the others.
  • Moon Roach
    1998 - 14 to choose from. Highlights include Once In A Livetime by Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment by Liquid Tension Experiment, Radiation by Marillion, and Arkangel by John Wetton

Listening to the Marilion albums, it's amazing how early H started the profoundly irritating and off-putting habit of sounding d as t when it ends a phrase, and sometimes within the phrase. "The worlt has gone mat". No, no it hasn't, it's "mad". With a d. Stop it, stop it now.
  • Moon Roach
    1999 - 22 to choose from. Highlights include Metropolis Part 2 by Dream Theater, Flower Power by The Flower Kings, Bareback by Hank Dogs, Day For Night by Spock's Beard, and The Ladder by Yes.

This may take some time...
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    icon_e_biggrin.gif Can anyone see the connection?

https://youtu.be/ak8sOWiRO3Y

"What Happened To You"
    The Offspring - What Happened To You

Before you started tokin' you used to have a brain
    But now you don't get even the simplest of things
    I can draw a little picture
    Or even use my hands
    I try to explain but you just don't understand
    Man you're really losin' it
    And you've really done a lot of junk now
    But you keep on abusin' it
    What in the world happened to you
    It's bad enough you do it to yourself
    But taking someone with you
    Well you know that's something else
    I say I'm not that kind of person
    I'm not that kind of man
    I might be sympathetic or cut a little slack
    If I thought that you were willing to give a little back
    But you do it in the morning
    You do it in the night
    You lie to refrain from just facing your life
    So I'll see you tomorrow
    You'll be gackin' up again
    I'll see you in a coffin by the time your wad is spent
    I think of all the times that I tried to lend a hand
  • Moon Roach
    2000 - 17 to choose from. Highlights include Aura by Asia (awesome album for motorway driving), Conspiracy by Conspiracy (Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood of Yes), The Shaming Of The True by Kevin Gilbert (released posthumously), V by Spock's Beard, and SMPTe by Transatlantic
  • Moon Roach
    2001 - 19 to choose from. Highlights include Live Scenes from New York by Dream Theater, Tenacious D's eponymous first (and best) album, Anaraknophobia by Marillion, Bridge Across Forever by Transatlantic and Magnification by Yes

Ah, the new millennium, not the dress rehearsal of a year previous, when Yes decided to do an album with an orchestra instead of a keyboard player. It was a mighty tour.

And Transatlantic playing in Oxford and London, so very mighty that the wife and I flew to Berlin to catch another show.
  • Moon Roach
    2002 - 19 to choose from. Highlights include The Second Stage Turbine Blade by Coheed & Cambria, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence by Dream Theater, Up by Peter Gabriel, Vapor Trails by Rush (the 2013 remix, the sound on the original sucked), and Snow by Spock's Beard

Ah, Snow, Neal Morse's final album with Spock's Beard