*** The Hulk (Indestructible) ***

Comments

• Comboing into the next color is fun and nobody but thor really does it right now. Rag I guess, but its a 2 chain instead of a 3.

Grey Widow and Doom kind of do.
  • Gah he's even tougher than Punisher to decide on. I'm sitting at 4/3/4 with a red cover in my stash. Is 4/4/5 a bad call or should I go 5/3/5? I don't know that the extra one in green really helps as much as a 4th in red.
  • jozier wrote:
    Gah he's even tougher than Punisher to decide on. I'm sitting at 4/3/4 with a red cover in my stash. Is 4/4/5 a bad call or should I go 5/3/5? I don't know that the extra one in green really helps as much as a 4th in red.

Depends on if board control or raw damage is more important to your team synergy. I really like my 5/3/5, but either build seems totally viable to me.
  • If Hulk takes enough damage to trigger Anger Management, and passive or damage-per-turn type of ability will trigger it for a second time. Black Widow's Espionage triggers a second countdown tile when she steals AP if the hit she performs is hard enough, and the damage tiles created by Punisher's Molotov are creating additional countdown tiles as well.
  • I'm not sure... what's the bug? It triggering multiple times is intentional, I'm pretty sure.
  • Kyosokun wrote:
    I'm not sure... what's the bug? It triggering multiple times is intentional, I'm pretty sure.

Yes. Each individual damage source that deals 5% or more of Hulk's total health creates another tile. At least, it has been that way since he was introduced. So, let's say Wolverine has a bunch of strike tiles on the board. if a match triggers OBW's espionage and Punisher has an attack tile out from his Molotov, you could easily get three countdowns.
  • I could swear last night I fought a Hulk whose Anger description said "creates a countdown tile that generates 5 green tiles", and I triggered it plenty (ouch), but it did not do damage either to me or to the opponent. Has the L5 black power changed?

I think this was during a lightning round so it's possible I just wasn't paying close attention, but I'd be curious if anyone with a L5 black Hulk can verify.
  • No no.

Let's say OBW hits for 1k damage and sets it off, it triggers a countdown tile. So far, so good. But after the damage is done she steals an AP via Espionage, and that is setting up a second countdown tile. So her one hit is causing Hulk to create 2 AM tiles.

If Punisher's Molotov has one little tile ticking for 30 damage, that tile will still create additional AM procs any time AM has already procced. So if I hit Hulk for 100 damage and then 30 from Molotov, nothing happens. If I hit him for 600, that triggers AM, and then the damage tile from Molotov triggers AM again, for 2 tiles. Even though he only took one hit large enough to proc it.
  • Espionage at L4 also does damage in addition to stealing AP. If there are strike tiles on the board, that damage can trigger Anger. That one doesn't seem like a bug.

Are you sure that attack tiles work that way? If it's working as you describe (you hit for 600, attack tiles hit for 30, 2 tiles created), that's a bug. However, if you hit Hulk for 600, usually that means strike tiles. Strike tiles also get added to attack tiles, which means it's likely the attack tiles are doing enough damage to trigger Anger on their own.
  • Espionage at L4 also does damage in addition to stealing AP. If there are strike tiles on the board, that damage can trigger Anger. That one doesn't seem like a bug.

Are you sure that attack tiles work that way? If it's working as you describe (you hit for 600, attack tiles hit for 30, 2 tiles created), that's a bug. However, if you hit Hulk for 600, usually that means strike tiles. Strike tiles also get added to attack tiles, which means it's likely the attack tiles are doing enough damage to trigger Anger on their own.

Yeah, I'm sure. It's one attack, no cascade, triggering 2 AM tiles.

You're probably right about Espionage though. Mine only does 56 damage base, so I didn't think of it, but with strike tiles it could really get up there, I guess.
  • Could be a bug like what happened with attack tiles? My Hulk is 5/5/3 though so I can't test.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    So how has the Hulk been for everyone now? I've managed to stock up 50k iso, and am debating between hulk (81) and punisher (65) as my first 3* to push over 100. I'm leaning towards Punisher because his abilities are a lot better for being aggressive. I've been thinking about the Hulk for a while, and he seems like a very defensive character, since I can't imagine him doing too much on offense, meaning that it's hard to grind tournaments with him. Am I wrong in thinking this, or should I just follow my gut and punisher it up?
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    This seems intentional. (Though I wonder if espionage will ever not trigger strike tiles in the future, it seems kind of crazy to do a double-trigger with a tile match.)
  • Yeah, I'm sure. It's one attack, no cascade, triggering 2 AM tiles.

One attack, no cascade -- but were there strike tiles? Enough strike tiles to trigger Anger? If so, that's not a bug either.
  • So how has the Hulk been for everyone now? I've managed to stock up 50k iso, and am debating between hulk (81) and punisher (65) as my first 3* to push over 100. I'm leaning towards Punisher because his abilities are a lot better for being aggressive. I've been thinking about the Hulk for a while, and he seems like a very defensive character, since I can't imagine him doing too much on offense, meaning that it's hard to grind tournaments with him. Am I wrong in thinking this, or should I just follow my gut and punisher it up?

You should follow your gut, as there's a case to be made for either, but I personally love Hulk.

In non-buffed tourneys, it's a significant enough health pool to slow down attackers with the exception of Magneto and Wolvie's strike tiles (which also trigger Anger), both of which are on the chopping block. Without one of those on your team, are you likely to attack a team with him or a Punisher? I've said it before about IM40 at max for damage sponging - the speed with which you can down the opposition is all that matters to most. If the extra HP deters even one or two attackers when you're vulnerable it's well worth what you give up in attack speed for reduced attacks/retaliations. In the age of high priced shields, that means more to me.

If you're shielding regularly, then none of that matters and you should go with Big Pun for the extra punching power.
  • Just checked. Still fine.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    So how has the Hulk been for everyone now? I've managed to stock up 50k iso, and am debating between hulk (81) and punisher (65) as my first 3* to push over 100. I'm leaning towards Punisher because his abilities are a lot better for being aggressive. I've been thinking about the Hulk for a while, and he seems like a very defensive character, since I can't imagine him doing too much on offense, meaning that it's hard to grind tournaments with him. Am I wrong in thinking this, or should I just follow my gut and punisher it up?

Punisher is a blast to play with. I would actually look at long term teaming hulk and punisher up together. Hulk is a great character and will shield punisher from a lot of damage. But I would go with leveling punisher first.
  • Hulk is definitely slow compared to Punisher, but it's possible to be attacked less using him.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Completely agree. But what's more fun, fighting and beating people? Or just not being attacked?
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Kiamodo wrote:
    Completely agree. But what's more fun, fighting and beating people? Or just not being attacked?
    Currently, probably not being attacked and losing 40-50 points icon_e_wink.gif

I think Patch could* be an interesting pair for Hulk, as enemy strike tiles would make Hulk trigger anger more often, resulting in more green. However, for this to work Hulk would have to take the R/Blk/G tiles, which hurts Patch's red. Also having Hulk tank kinda takes out some of the use of Patch's healing.