*** The Hulk (Indestructible) ***

Comments

• fulu, I'm curious -- previously you said that you don't build up to use Smash, you just sort of use it when it's available. Is that still the case, and if so, what teams do you run with Hulk?

I'm finding that I use green a lot more often than I use red (as expected), except in PvE fights that are very long, in which case I might purposely hoard green to save up for a giant Smash or two. I wonder if that's going to be a common PvP use case as I get higher level.

FWIW, I was previously set on 3/5/5, but after looking at team composition and thinking hard about when I'd use red, I decided to use the green cover that was about to expire and just go with 5 black/whatever I get first in the other two.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    _fulu_ wrote:
    Clint wrote:
    I am so torn right now.

My Hulk is level 128 and current 4/3/5. I have a banked red cover, but I really don't like his red. I use his green constantly, but hate the way red works, having to count my tiles is the suck. I find that the red sucking down up to 10 green with nothing to show for it makes the timing really tough.

I would hate to sell my cover and miss an opportunity take him to 141, but I like the idea of 5green.

Anyone running him have an opinion of him at high level with 4 vs 5 green? or 3 vs 4 red? At high level. Please understand I am more interested in someone that has used him rather than someone who is sharing their experience with their level 18 hulk.

I've shared my opinion on this 5 times in this thread alone. I have a 5/3/5 level 120 hulk that I wish I had gone 4/4/5 or 3/5/5. The green does good damage with or without the extra destroyed tiles and the red gets a significant impact from extra points. In the end either way works just fine but there's times I wish smash had the extra 1.5 k damage

I put the point in Smash, and even though I hardly ever use it the bump in damage is considerable, enough that I am seeing the value. I think you made some good points on this one Fulu.
  • fulu, I'm curious -- previously you said that you don't build up to use Smash, you just sort of use it when it's available. Is that still the case, and if so, what teams do you run with Hulk?

I'm finding that I use green a lot more often than I use red (as expected), except in PvE fights that are very long, in which case I might purposely hoard green to save up for a giant Smash or two. I wonder if that's going to be a common PvP use case as I get higher level.

FWIW, I was previously set on 3/5/5, but after looking at team composition and thinking hard about when I'd use red, I decided to use the green cover that was about to expire and just go with 5 black/whatever I get first in the other two.

I am building to smashes now, especially since he is boosted in both events. In normal events, I don't know. Maybe if I had gone 5 in red it would be my staple and perhaps a building block for me team.

My new overall plan is a strike tile team with aoe damage...Punisher and Ares with either support (OBW, Spidey, Hood) or more aoe with Classic Storm or Thor.

Hulk as I have him built will be more to put in on defense to mess up the board and be annoying, and still.be useful when I want to change things up and use him.
  • Thematically speaking this makes perfect sense.

In terms of not making it too OP keep the targeted enemy damage the same, and just damage the other opponents for the same amount each of your team members takes.
  • +1, this is a great idea! When there's too many green tiles, Hulk can do an AOE on pretty much everyone on the battlefield for a percentage of the damage of the single target version. From the way Demiurge is favoring abilities that damage your team, this seems like a reasonable change in both balance and canon.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find that I get nearly as much damage out of using green before red, plus there's a real chance of cascades with green that cause additional damage plus AP generation. Once green is below 10 (preferably at or close to 0), I'll use red for its base damage (only if there isn't too much green on screen).
  • Red would be much cooler if it destroyed enviroment in the process, for some extra damage or only for show (and random cascades)
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Got a red cover from Avengers pack, so went for 4/4/5.
  • I already have my Hulk at 5/1/2 and even though I cast some red while having a lot of green (damage is kinda overwhelming!), I still think green is much better option:
    * cheaper
    * destroys tiles
    * safe
    * better in defence, with AI' ability to create out-of-nowhere cascades
    * green seems to be easier to obtain than red

So my build is gonna be 535 or 544, as I'm a bit afraid of the backlash dmg. dunno yet how it scales.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    I'm really thinking about going 4/5/4.

My current build is 4/2/2 because I was planing on paring hulk with Rag before the nerf.
    My current team will be Hulk/Punisher/Magneto.
    Magneto will control the board with Blue while Punisher generates strike tiles and lobs molotovs. So I'll more often than not opt for Punishers strike tiles over hulks clap. I would love to have 5 in black but I painted myself into a corner already having 4 in green.
    I need hulk to protect punisher from the green and red matches. I will already have a ton of strike tiles all over the board so I don't want to destroy more than I have to.
    Also since the game is slowing down. Huge killer moves like Hulk's Smash and Magneto's purple skill will be more important. I'm not that worried about defense. Like others have said it's not really worth strategizing against such stacked odds.

My only other option is to go all out attack with 5/5/3. Generating less green will make it easier to pull the smash attack off without hurting my team for 30%. Since I'm not gonna go completely down this extreme I figured splitting the difference with 4/5/4 was my best option.

I was quick to assume that 5/3/5 was the best but really it depends on who I'm pairing him up with. Any thoughts guys? They would be much appricitaed.
  • Kiamodo wrote:
    I'm really thinking about going 4/5/4.

My current build is 4/2/2 because I was planing on paring hulk with Rag before the nerf.
    My current team will be Hulk/Punisher/Magneto.
    Magneto will control the board with Blue while Punisher generates strike tiles and lobs molotovs. So I'll more often than not opt for Punishers strike tiles over hulks clap. I would love to have 5 in black but I painted myself into a corner already having 4 in green.
    I need hulk to protect punisher from the green and red matches. I will already have a ton of strike tiles all over the board so I don't want to destroy more than I have to.
    Also since the game is slowing down. Huge killer moves like Hulk's Smash and Magneto's purple skill will be more important. I'm not that worried about defense. Like others have said it's not really worth strategizing against such stacked odds.

My only other option is to go all out attack with 5/5/3. Generating less green will make it easier to pull the smash attack off without hurting my team for 30%. Since I'm not gonna go completely down this extreme I figured splitting the difference with 4/5/4 was my best option.

I was quick to assume that 5/3/5 was the best but really it depends on who I'm pairing him up with. Any thoughts guys? They would be much appricitaed.

Red needs 20 green stored to be worth using. Below 10 you are better off using green than.red imo. At about 20+ green it has a purpose. There is no way I am purposely storing 20 ap though.

I like his green, but 2 extra tiles between 4-5 isn't a while lot. It's 100-150 damage and 2 xtra tiles for.cascades chance...but
    hat isn't always a good thing. His black going to 4 is a must imo. No reason not to and I feel.the extra green it builds is worth it vs any of the other colors. Now, imo the question is do you go 4/4/5, 5/4/4, or 4/5/4. This of course depends firstly on whether or not you want the black to.do.damage to yourself. Personally..I am.not sold on whether I should or not. On def, its probably better but on offense I think.it needs strike tiles to shine. If you don't play him with a striketile.character ...don't go 5 into black necessarily.

Even with his damage I still never use his red if thor is on the team as I value color changes too highly. 12 red for 10 yellow tiles and 2200 damage or so beats the pure damage of hulk's red simply because those ten tiles will easily turn into 300-2k damage from cascades/matches..build ap..and let.you spread the damage around (3 enemies at 1000 hp, 1400 hp, and 100 hp...2 thor kills everyone. 1 hulk red kills only 1 of them).

If you say punisher/hulk/mag is your goal then I would 1. Wait until.mag nerf if possible and 2. Go 4/4/5 if you plan on.using punisher's green heavily.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Sound advice. Thanks for the insight. Yeah right now looks like everything is in limbo since the main characters are being changed. I think I'll just do a slow level up and get some more experience with hulk. Stats never lie and I'll get a feel for which powers I use the most before fully leveling him up.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Keep in mind Hulk's level 5 black works with strike tiles (on enemies only). The self damage is pretty small.
  • For the people with high level hulks, how often does the passive proc? I don't see it go off too much (might be because I have been playing in the boosted Hulk events). And if it doesn't proc too often, why not go something like 5/5/3?

soenotelling mentioned that at least 4 in a black is must, but I'm not sure I understand, especially if it rarely procs. Care to provide any insight?

Thanks to everyone's previous posts on building hulk, it has helped a lot!
  • If an opponent cannot easily trigger Anger (as in the case of Smash Hit tournament) then that implies you're not worried about dying so that's also fine too.

Getting 5 green tiles placed whenever you take a significant hit is a pretty good deal. Put it this way, imagine all your damaging moves now have the drawback of 'creates 5 green tiles for the enemy team', that'd certainly be a rather significant drawback.

Looking at the damage range in the Smash Hit tournament, I'd imagine a good match 4 would still trigger it in a normal fight. Any fight with current Wolverine will always trigger it on a normal fight. Even if Wolverine is nerfed to oblivion, something like say The Punisher's strike tiles will still definitely trigger it on normal fights.
  • Ah good points! Thanks a ton! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Then to contribute a vote for a build, I'll probably go 4/4/5. Green is already at 4 and a strong red is sometimes nice to have at the end of the match.
  • Going 5/5/3 because I run him with Spidey and Anger never triggers. Protect mitigates tile damage and stun mitigates ability usage.
  • Hulk is a BWO killer. She's moved up in the meta to be paired nicely with Wolverine, but that iteration gets rocked by a Hulk who generates twice as many anger tiles against her.
  • Phantron wrote:
    If an opponent cannot easily trigger Anger (as in the case of Smash Hit tournament) then that implies you're not worried about dying so that's also fine too.

This. I've fought so many Thors with mine at 5/3/5, and I look forward to Mjollnir because of the green generation and the bonus opposing team damage. I like 5 green because it offers the most board control (more chances to wipe an enemy strike/defense tile) while still doing a nice chunk of damage. It also feels like I'm getting cascades more often, although I don't have any data to back that up.
  • Actually playing against 3 vs. 5 black...HUGE difference. If it wasn't for magneto's blue i probably would have eaten a few death blows off anger on the last few hours grinding from 0-1800 in the event. Was actually really liking the combination of mag/thor/hulk. Ignore black, blue used for making 4 matches to grab red/purple/green ap. Hulk's green grabs you at minimum 1 match cascade every time. Mjolnir goes into yellow and yellow builds the green that builds other ap. Blue constantly grabbing extra ap, making 5 matches, comboing criticals, and doing damage control/being used to boost purple damage. Too bad 2 of those are going to get nerfed :/ hope they come out with a 3*** thir like character sobthey don't feel he is op. Comboing into the next color is fun and nobody but thor really does it right now. Rag I guess, but its a 2 chain instead of a 3.

One thing I noticed...machine hulk seems to grab black and even purple before it chooses to grab red or green. Kinda odd and hurts his def.