Suggestions for tournament shields

Options
turul
turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
- 24hrs shield could be priced 150, so someone wishing to only use this shield for 8-16hrs could use it more. Good for a longer sleep session than 8hrs, or someone wishing to shield himself till the end of the tournament, which is just above 8hrs.

- 24hrs or a fourth shield could be permanent (until manually breaked by fighting), so people could actively start a tournament anytime without spoiling HP. Using a shield more than 24hrs is not advisable most of the times, since competition will bypass the shielded person, so this could be priced as the 24hrs one. Also, if someone is not able to play more than 24hrs, we shouldnt punish that with too high costs.

Comments

• My original idea posted on steam:

1. Normal shield -- cost 50HP, lasts until end of tournament, breaks on attack.
    2. Multiphase shield -- cost 75HP, lasts until end of tournament, breaks on attack. If broken at least 2 hour (or 10% timespan) before end you get 50 HP refund
    3. Stealth shield -- cost 0, does not break, can't be turned off, you can't get (further) progression prizes. (alternatively, canceling puts you back to position when you turned it on) [unlike current system you're not being selected for attack at all, only show up in the ranking]

I wrote it on announcement, before experience with current system. The fundamental idea was to allow spreading play time conveniently without massive costs to save nerves.

Since then even the current system showed good value, was used at bigger price and users probably still got out with positive HP balance. Yet, considering that the shields to just serve as patchwork over a fundamentally broken point system that should be fixed at root causes it sounds fair to not overcharge.

The last point got fair criticism as a thing leading to constant grinding -- well, maybe, I'm not sure it is a bad thing if someone with most wins win the prize. In current tournaments the progression prizes provide fairly good value worth getting, that's one is paying for chasing the 1st place cloaked.