*** The Hulk (Indestructible) ***

Comments

• Daken is good and not good. He tanks blacktile.png from Hulk. But he also regens quickly which is good especially those times someone on your team has to take 1400 damage for you to win (chain Berserker Rage tiles). Ideally Hulk matches greentile.png to anger, and with a ton of red strike.png you will be matching your own strike tiles a lot.

Daredevil is uniquely suited to Hulk Bomb (like I said up there). Black Panther is also good, if you scrape up 12 blacktile.png while Hulk is throwing his tantrum. RotP with over 1400 in strike tiles is something glorious to behold. I could see C.Marv being ok, for a black stun and maybe red feed on yellow matches, but not ideal. Loki plus Patch is of course awesome and you can keep him at a level where he doesn't tank blacktile.png for Hulk.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Often people will use the loaner char in PVP to make sure that a leveled one doesnt tank for Hulk, and so that they dont have to waste a health pack on them.

Who would make a decent "third" toon for this pairing, outside of the loaner toon? Daken maybe?

Punisher actually seems pretty sick. Molotovs after Patch rage is sweet, and retribution is cheap and fast as well. You want guys that either have cheap spells or AoE to maximize Patchy's strike tiles, and Punisher happens to have both!
  • A while back, I think it was lukewin who mentioned She-hulk as a preferable combo with Patch as opposed to daredevil because of her relatively low cost red AoE power. Any thoughts on she hulk / patch / hulk? ( I admit punpun may be even more preferable than she hulk given his aoe is even lower cost though)
  • camichan wrote:
    A while back, I think it was lukewin who mentioned She-hulk as a preferable combo with Patch as opposed to daredevil because of her relatively low cost red AoE power. Any thoughts on she hulk / patch / hulk? ( I admit punpun may be even more preferable than she hulk given his aoe is even lower cost though)

Problem with She-Hulk is that if yours or your enemy's strike tiles are placed on the bottom then you can't use Power of Attorney as that will reliably destroy everything on the bottom and thus break up your Anger combo regardless of whose strike tiles she destroyed (if she destroyed yours you're obviously screwed, but if she destroyed the opponent's then you can no longer trigger Anger).
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I've been thinking on how to make Hulk good and I had two ideas. The first is to make anger proportional to the damage he takes. Just got hit for 20%? 4 anger tiles. This would require a little more thought in how you tackle him without changing the overall tactics for fighting him (stun him or kill him in one turn). The second is to change smash into a passive/active similar to 4hor's smite. So leave the cost at 14 with a lower base damage than smite and damage per charge tile and a passive that creates red charge tiles when he takes damage. Something like 1 charge tile at 25% damage at 1 cover, advancing to 3 tiles at 15% damage at 5 covers. Rename it from smash to strongest there is.

Those numbers might need to be tweaked for balance though.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I've been thinking on how to make Hulk good and I had two ideas. The first is to make anger proportional to the damage he takes. Just got hit for 20%? 4 anger tiles. This would require a little more thought in how you tackle him without changing the overall tactics for fighting him (stun him or kill him in one turn). The second is to change smash into a passive/active similar to 4hor's smite. So leave the cost at 14 with a lower base damage than smite and damage per charge tile and a passive that creates red charge tiles when he takes damage. Something like 1 charge tile at 25% damage at 1 cover, advancing to 3 tiles at 15% damage at 5 covers. Rename it from smash to strongest there is.

Those numbers might need to be tweaked for balance though.

Put a little more thought into this and thought I'd revise it a little. For his red you want the base damage lower than smite but the damage per charge tile somewhat higher. The idea being that with enough charge tiles hulk eventually overtakes 4hor's damage. Now obviously as I've described it here he can't produce that many tiles on his own, he either needs an ally to help or turn the enemies strength against them. The cost should probably be lowered 2-3 and keep the self damage with 10+ green tiles on the board.

I think there's some real potential here but I also don't see anyone changing from 5/3/5 for this so I'd appreciate further input.
  • Hulk Bombing. You need 3-5 covers in black optimally. blackflag.png

Hulk bombing is when you specifically pick hulk to counter you enemy. This is done in Such away that it is 100% Garunteed your victory.

It's best against: Wolverine Patch(and with him to), Blade(specially 4-5 covers in green) , Psylocke(eventually) , espicially and the reason why I am doing this guide - Great vs 3 star daken. 2 Star Wolvie to.

The above make strike tiles. Enough to the point where it will trigger black spontaneously. The AI Can make 2-5 matches = 2-5 anger tiles icon_lol.gif

Scenario: You have matched so much green to the point where enemy Daken3 has made enough tiles to dmg you and trigger anger. It takes aprox 575 dmg and every time you match a green and its enemies turn, Whatever match he makes will result in a very angry hulk.

Hulk anger causes disgusting cascades and so much green that you can XF your opponent till your heart's content. If you don't have XF, Hulk's green is destructive enough or any other good green spells

Against patch you officially will win the game when patch hits you with green spell greenflag.png

I have always found patch green greenflag.png to be controversional as it can cause you to lose the game, if enemy team is just stronger.

Every tile match, every spell including patch greenflag.png = Too many black countdown tiles for outrageous cascacades.

Next time you are against above mentioned, use hulk for a garunteed win.

DP
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Hey, I'll help out a bit and present some of your information in a slightly cleaner format.

Hulk Bomb: Hulk + Patch + Daken/Loaner

Skill requirements: Hulk 5 blackflag.png mandatory, Patch 5 greenflag.png recommended.

Instructions
      1. Gather 9 Green AP 2. Select opponent with highest remaining health* 3. Berserker Rage** 4. Match a color that Hulk tanks 5. ??? 6. Profit
    Notes:
    • *Always select opponent with highest remaining health before matching or casting Berserker Rage.
    • **You may want to delay your first Berserker Rage if the opponent has enough AP to cast abilities.
    ---

How does this combo work?

Anger level 5 does a tiny amount of AoE damage, which becomes a massive amount of AoE damage when used with big strike tiles. Strike tiles also make the Anger cascades deal ludicrous amounts of damage.

Why is Patch required for this combo?

Two words, one ability: Berserker Rage. Every part of this ability synergizes beautifully with Anger:
    • Anger generates green tiles which means more tiles available to put strike tiles on with BR.
    • Strike tiles boost Anger damage.
    • Enemy strike tiles gives guaranteed Anger procs on every match.

Can Hulk be effective without Patch?

Yes. DragonPriest lists several opponents that generate strike tiles, which essentially do the same thing as the enemy strike tiles generated by BR. You can create strike tiles with other abilities than BR in order to boost Anger procs. And you can use Hulk just as an HP tank to generate green tiles.

Hulk is decent with others.

But with Patch, he becomes (even more of) a monster. It's very possibly THE best shield hop team currently.

What are the reasons not to use Hulk Bomb?
    • Hulk bombing requires health packs, and as such is best utilized for shield hopping or beating a tricky PvE node. It should not be used for sustained pushing or grinding.
    • Hulk is countered by X-Force due to his green tile strength. And there are many, many XFs out there.
    • Hulk bombing is risky against other Hulk bomb teams due to strike-tile-boosted Angers triggering off each other. Bad luck on green tile generation could result in a wipe.
  • Hulk bombing is not exactly a guaranteed win. You are generating lots of enemy strike tiles that can really bite you if they get off a nice cascade. I will sometimes use a character like MNMags, GSBW, or even Daredevil to eliminate purple tiles either just before or just after Patch's Berserker Rage. Or just wait until there are a couple potential purple matches, then cast berserker rage, then match the strike tiles. If you can get rid of about half of the enemy strike tiles you don't have to worry so much about cascades, but still have them doing enough damage with each match to trigger Hulk's Anger.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got good results running Luke Cage as the third in a Hulkbomb team. That big protect tile means you take very little damage until you are ready to unleash the Berserker Anger. It should be noted though that my Cage is underleveled and at full level he will tank black from Hulk, which you might want to avoid. That is also why I don't particularly care for running Daken or Blade as the third.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    It should be noted though that my Cage is underleveled and at full level he will tank black from Hulk, which you might want to avoid.
    Don't they both have red/black as 2nd/3rd colors? So wouldn't Hulk tank them both as long as he was out in front? (which he should always be).

I imagine Loki or CMags would probably work well as a 3rd to shake up the board and get some cascades.
  • Well Done trisul.

Yea you did a better job on the format.

However not everyone has 5 points in anger, I did find that after 3 points and onwards in anger, it seems optimal. I do have 5 points in anger now and believe me when i say how 1 tile can cause the cascade o your dreams.

Not everyone has patch or a very high level on patch at least so it's also difficult. I made this guide as a fun thing and it's becoming really fun.

Thanks everybody, keep your comments coming.

Dp
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster wrote:
    It should be noted though that my Cage is underleveled and at full level he will tank black from Hulk, which you might want to avoid.
    Don't they both have red/black as 2nd/3rd colors? So wouldn't Hulk tank them both as long as he was out in front? (which he should always be).

I imagine Loki or CMags would probably work well as a 3rd to shake up the board and get some cascades.
    You may be right. Even better if that's the case.
  • mu7an7
    mu7an7 Posts: 34
    I find I am in need of hulk-bombing advice.

My simulator team of choice (at the moment) is Classic Storm 94 (3, 5, 5 by choice), Hulk 153 (5, 3, 4) and Patch 142 (5, 1, 5) with a Hulk red due in Deadpool tomorrow and hopefully a hulk black in Teenage Riot.

Should I go for Hulk 5, 4, 4, or 5, 3, 5?

If I go for 5 black, any remaining enemy strike tiles will add to the self-inflicted damage that hulk does, which may or may not a) trigger the tempest or b) knock storm down and at patch level 142, that is 153 per tile.

I don't usually use hulks red, that is usually dependant on the amount of patch tiles/green tiles on the board at the time and how close I am to getting another Berserker Rage off.

Thanks in advance, Glen
  • Quebbster
    mu7an7 wrote:
    I find I am in need of hulk-bombing advice.

My simulator team of choice (at the moment) is Classic Storm 94 (3, 5, 5 by choice), Hulk 153 (5, 3, 4) and Patch 142 (5, 1, 5) with a Hulk red due in Deadpool tomorrow and hopefully a hulk black in Teenage Riot.

Should I go for Hulk 5, 4, 4, or 5, 3, 5?

If I go for 5 black, any remaining enemy strike tiles will add to the self-inflicted damage that hulk does, which may or may not a) trigger the tempest or b) knock storm down and at patch level 142, that is 153 per tile.

I don't usually use hulks red, that is usually dependant on the amount of patch tiles/green tiles on the board at the time and how close I am to getting another Berserker Rage off.

Thanks in advance, Glen
    Self-inflicted damage is not affected by strike or protect tiles. Enemy strike tiles will have no effect on Hulk's Anger damage to your own team, but your strike tiles will enhance the Anger damage dealt to the other team.
    In short, go 5/3/5. 5 in Anger is really necessary to get a fully functional Hulk Bomb.
    (If you want you could hang on to the extra Red cover until you have had a chance to try out 5 black. I promise you won't want it afterwards though. icon_e_smile.gif)
  • mu7an7
    mu7an7 Posts: 34
    Self-inflicted damage is not affected by strike or protect tiles. Enemy strike tiles will have no effect on Hulk's Anger damage to your own team, but your strike tiles will enhance the Anger damage dealt to the other team.
    In short, go 5/3/5. 5 in Anger is really necessary to get a fully functional Hulk Bomb.
    (If you want you could hang on to the extra Red cover until you have had a chance to try out 5 black. I promise you won't want it afterwards though. icon_e_smile.gif)

Well, thats two things I never considered, the first being holding onto the red for a few days - i have tried to get hulk up to 166 without buying covers for a long time that I never gave that option a second thought and it makes sense (now) that self-inflicted damage is just that.

Thanks Quebbster.

Edited to add: Sticking with 5, 3, 5 and never looking back.. thanks again Quebbster
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    i'm a transitioning to 3* player. I am trying to figure hulk out for the PVP. I have 4 green and 1 black. And I just got 1 red from DDQ. Should i toss the red card though? Would it be better if Hulk can't hurt himself or compete with my other allies for red ap?
  • Take the red and just don't use the cover. I rarely used it unless there wasn't much green on the board and I already used the clap. He is a meat shield that scares lower level players, however once you get to the higher point brackets he is Xforce food.
  • Keep the red so you can level your Hulk; more levels on Hulk means more HP. Defense is overrated, and odds are your opponents will be dying from Anger anyways on a defensive loss.
  • ayatorahxephon
    ayatorahxephon Posts: 94 Match Maker
    I have a question, What are the optimal build for Hulk bombing? Currently I have hulk at 5/3/5. Should I go 3/5/5 ? How about Patch? Mine is currently 5/3/5. I have a red cover recently.. should I respec to 5/5/3?