*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Comments

• prash wrote:
    I was taking a break from MPQ when Colossus was released. Been playing for the past 4 months and have never been able to recruit him. He is not available on any of the tokens. Is this on purpose or a bug?

He's currently vaulted, meaning he's not in tokens. He's expected to be back soon, probably in about a month.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    prash wrote:
    I was taking a break from MPQ when Colossus was released. Been playing for the past 4 months and have never been able to recruit him. He is not available on any of the tokens. Is this on purpose or a bug?

He's currently vaulted, meaning he's not in tokens. He's expected to be back soon, probably in about a month.

Problme is he's pretty much worthless now since Luke Cage, who does defense better than Colosussu and for free
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    prash wrote:

Problme is he's pretty much worthless now since Luke Cage, who does defense better than Colosussu and for free

I suspect that, at some point, they'll rework Fastball Special, and maybe his yellow a bit, and Colossus will start to look better. If Fastball special cost 8 AP (and maybe didn't have a delay), it would be a much better power, and allowing Colossus to place his yellow like Captain America places his red or blue, allowing him to overwrite tiles and not requiring a yellow, would give him a role that no one like him currently occupies.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    prash wrote:

Do you know why he was vaulted? I hope he's not in DP daily quest - that was P Me OFF
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    prash wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    prash wrote:

Do you know why he was vaulted? I hope he's not in DP daily quest - that was P Me OFF
    I think it was because he wasn't being played much, like with Beast and She-Hulk. When new characters are made, there's an expectation that people will want to use them, and if they don't, then they get tinkered with.

He can still appear in Deadpool though. There's no rhyme or reason that I can see to which characters appear. Both Black Panther and Daken appeared despite being vaulted.
  • Square wrote:
    prash wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    prash wrote:

I think it was because he wasn't being played much, like with Beast and She-Hulk. When new characters are made, there's an expectation that people will want to use them, and if they don't, then they get tinkered with.

He can still appear in Deadpool though. There's no rhyme or reason that I can see to which characters appear. Both Black Panther and Daken appeared despite being vaulted.

I would assume the reason people don't play with him much is because they have more powerful characters that they can play with regularly while waiting to level up the newer ones (like Colossus for example). Interesting opinion on why they're vaulted, though I suppose I should do more digging around to see why the devs actually vaulted them.

Dang! Colossus is the only 3* that I do not have. Sigh, I suppose it is inevitable that I won't be able to score a Colossus cover in DPDQ.
  • Square
    He's simply an inconvenient character. He's not horrible, but he's a lower ranked character... Which must be very frustrating for the developers.

The devs have said the vaulting is sometimes just for rotation, and sometimes to be fixed. He was still pretty new when he was vaulted, so I'd lean to the latter.
  • Square wrote:
    prash wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    prash wrote:

They just have to make room for new characters so the odds in the tokens don't end up being like 0.1% to get the new guy.
    Sometimes it's just that. Lthor Ldaken Cmags etc are all heavily used and untouched after rotation.
  • It sort of makes sense to vault characters for the sake of rotation but that means newer players miss out on older characters which is not fair. At the same time, the MPQ community are a bunch of whiners so I suppose they want the older players to stop complaining about getting the same covers on tokens.

DPDQ sort of balances that out.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    prash wrote:
    It sort of makes sense to vault characters for the sake of rotation but that means newer players miss out on older characters which is not fair. At the same time, the MPQ community are a bunch of whiners so I suppose they want the older players to stop complaining about getting the same covers on tokens.

DPDQ sort of balances that out.

Doom was my second maxed out 3* character. I didn't mind so much that I was getting an unnecessary cover yesterday. I wished it was purple, but enjoy the iso that will help level other toons.
  • I am at the point right now where I can basically use 1 in 5 DDQ covers, and I still love it. It's a great source of daily iso8.png and free covers for transition players.

Vaulting does have it's issues, but in general their prior events feeding into current events system means new players don't have to miss out on characters they need.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yesterday on the Colossus, Devil Dino, OBW node in Simulator Hard, Colossus did a Fastball Special with Dino. It resolved into a Prehistoric Arms.

Just picture that scenario playing out.

You're welcome.
  • dfields3710
    dfields3710 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Why is it so hard to get colossus these days.
  • Why is it so hard to get colossus these days.

He's vaulted. He's not in tokens.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Colossus is so close to being solid.

The 2 big problems though are red and black, yellow isn't terrible since it's placeable.

The issue with red is the fact he has to be in front to get the most out of it, and unless you have yellow activated, this is difficult, to me the easiest fix is to just make red his strongest color (he is from the USSR so he's a Red anyway) With so many red's as primary it would make it easier to match red, have him in front and then use his red to obliterate.

Black's issue is simple, cost. You drop this to 11-12 AP and it's fine

But seriouly, if red was his strongest and yellow his second strongest color, he now works with LThor, Cptn Marvel, Cyclops, Iron Man, Pyslocke, Human Torch, Sentry,

While only losing Black Panther and Hood, but gainging the other 7 so he can be primary red
  • Square
    There's a problem with all these characters who need to use one ability before using another ability: they are super-unreliable on defense. Some, like Luke Cage, are valuable even if they don't make the most out of their black, but it's hard to see them used outside of being boosted as a PVP team. Mystique and Cyclop's black suffers the same. Unless D3 does something where players can program the order of use on abilities, I don't see them becoming really popular, Colossus included.
  • would he work with a 3/5/5 build with black widow grey suit 5/3/5 and mystique 5/5/3

looking to use him with to help spam sniper and tank for the pink/black battery mystique.

goal would be to get out greenflag.png sniper as often as possible using blackflag.png fast ball special on grey suit. while still using Mysitque blueflag.png when ever possible to get out. purpleflag.png form grey suit and blackflag.png from Colossus.

If this is not a good combo please any suggestions would be great.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    The issue with red is the fact he has to be in front to get the most out of it, and unless you have yellow activated, this is difficult, to me the easiest fix is to just make red his strongest color
    No thank you. This would mean that when facing him you'd be much more likely to take a full blown Colossal Punch to the face. The AI tends to use abilities as soon as possible so Colossus would match red, stay in front, and then punch you in the face at the beginning of the next turn. As it currently stands this rarely happens--usually only if Colossus is the only one left, the AI gets a cascade that happened to start with a match by Colossus or if the AI was saving up for a more expensive red and then forgot when it was doing.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    vudu3 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    The issue with red is the fact he has to be in front to get the most out of it, and unless you have yellow activated, this is difficult, to me the easiest fix is to just make red his strongest color
    No thank you. This would mean that when facing him you'd be much more likely to take a full blown Colossal Punch to the face. The AI tends to use abilities as soon as possible so Colossus would match red, stay in front, and then punch you in the face at the beginning of the next turn. As it currently stands this rarely happens--usually only if Colossus is the only one left, the AI gets a cascade that happened to start with a match by Colossus or if the AI was saving up for a more expensive red and then forgot when it was doing.

Not sure how enemy AI matching colors makes a difference, the front character will still be who you selected. Colossus still only comes out on AI side with his yellow active right?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    eidehua wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Not sure how enemy AI matching colors makes a difference, the front character will still be who you selected. Colossus still only comes out on AI side with his yellow active right?
    You are correct Colossus only goes to the front when he fires Yellow or you place him there, or is last man standing. Colossus is actually better on Defense because his red is so conditional. Most players save him for later and choose to attack a faster strike character, or support character. By leaving him alone he might save someone with his yellow, or once he is the last man standing fires off his Red.

With the game the way it is he has been completly outclassed by Luke Cage who does the same thing, but much, much better