*** Cyclops (Uncanny X-Men) ***

Comments

• Phaserhawk wrote:
    It's comforting to know, that if X-Force or 4hor ever get nerfed, I have Cyclops to pick up the slack and the only thing you are really losing is the health and of course true heal of Wolvie, aside from that, speed and damage is about even.

And the drain. And cascades. And a green that does a million damage for 8ap. and 3k health.

Other than that, yeah, same character
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    ark123 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    It's comforting to know, that if X-Force or 4hor ever get nerfed, I have Cyclops to pick up the slack and the only thing you are really losing is the health and of course true heal of Wolvie, aside from that, speed and damage is about even.

And the drain. And cascades. And a green that does a million damage for 8ap. and 3k health.

X-Force Green--3441 base damge at best 1230 (if he destroyed 15 green tiles) of the 15 tiles destroyed (not very likely) plus whatever cascade

Optic Blast--4283 dmg plus cascasde

assuming cascades are equal--

X-Force--3441 + (500 up to 1230) -4200 probably safe estimate 525 dmg per AP averge
    Optic--4283 = 428 dmg per AP

Green vs. Red--Advantage X-Force but not a bad try for a 3*, not to mention Cyclops dmg constant, X-Force not

Surgical Strike--(assuming 9 tiles taken and green)--522 x 9 = 4698 + 4200 from another X-Force--8898

Full Blast--8171 dmg assuming 10 red again not bad for a 3*

So despite your sarcasm, yes Cyclops is an amzing 3* that sure could never replace an X-Force, but the dmg difference is very small, and like I said before it's more about the health and the true heal is the bigger difference. In addition Cyclops also can accelerate himself with his yellow which plays similar to Surgical Strikes bonus of the AP steal.

So if X-Force disappeared today would Cyclops be the most likely replacement? Your damn right he would
  • So I only have Cyc at 1 yellow, but paired with 4Thor in surival nodes it already makes a big enough difference to please.

As a character, he's def not a failure.
  • Well, my Cyc is only 0/1/2 but he pairs well with DD.

Especially against him self.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:

So if X-Force disappeared today would Cyclops be the most likely replacement? Your damn right he would

Sure, if loki and hood also disappeared
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

X-Force Green--3441 base damge at best 1230 (if he destroyed 15 green tiles) of the 15 tiles destroyed (not very likely) plus whatever cascade

Optic Blast--4283 dmg plus cascasde

assuming cascades are equal--

X-Force--3441 + (500 up to 1230) -4200 probably safe estimate 525 dmg per AP averge
    Optic--4283 = 428 dmg per AP

Green vs. Red--Advantage X-Force but not a bad try for a 3*, not to mention Cyclops dmg constant, X-Force not

Surgical Strike--(assuming 9 tiles taken and green)--522 x 9 = 4698 + 4200 from another X-Force--8898

Full Blast--8171 dmg assuming 10 red again not bad for a 3*

So despite your sarcasm, yes Cyclops is an amzing 3* that sure could never replace an X-Force, but the dmg difference is very small, and like I said before it's more about the health and the true heal is the bigger difference. In addition Cyclops also can accelerate himself with his yellow which plays similar to Surgical Strikes bonus of the AP steal.

Mostly fair comparison but I suspect the cascades are far from equal.
  • Why have they made Cyclops red so hard to obtain? Top 10 required for pve. Same for pvp. And then even in his pvp mission they don't give away his red as a progression reward. I'm just wondering if this is an isolated case where the power that the loaner has in the actual pvp(red) isn't offered as the cover you can get for getting to the 900 progression reward.

I'm really upset. I want to get red so I can buy all his covers and be done with it. He's my favorite hero but I can't max him till I get his red. 4 black, 2 yellow. 3 covers I got from tokens.
  • ark123 wrote:
    Okay I was wrong on this one.
    He's actually pretty fun to play and the red conversion comes up a surprising number of times - it's actually kinda great with goddess if you don't have a loki.

Respect for admitting it man!

I only have him at 0/2/3 2k HP and the dude is killing it paired with 4Thor. That cyclops yellow makes a huge difference even at 1. I have gotten tons of extended smites & much more charged tiles. Factor in him leveled plus using black....dayum.

No xforce replacement, but for someone like me who won't have xforce for another 34 days, cyclops drastically speeds up kills with 4thor in pvp. My 4thor is 5/1/5 so I never really use her yellow and always have tons of yellow stocked up from charged tiles. Recycle to red tiles...quick easy kills.
  • ark123 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

If I wasn't having to save ISO/HP for xforce daily rewards I would be really tempted to dump it in cyclops. I use 4Thor/Loki 99% of the time in pvp. Loki is great at keeping Xforce/etc from getting off attacks while I match red/blue, assuming I can trick AI into match4. Loki also tremendously helps at shaking up board for cheap to match red/blue.

Cyclops could generate red, utilizing all of the yellow I stockpile from 4Thor's blue. He could also kill ppl with Black. Can't comment on red since I have 0 covers.

Loki has obvious advantage on AI defense, but damn Cyclops really speeds up kills for shield hopping. Loki's animations take forever.
  • Switchman wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

If I wasn't having to save ISO/HP for xforce daily rewards I would be really tempted to dump it in cyclops. I use 4Thor/Loki 99% of the time in pvp. Loki is great at keeping Xforce/etc from getting off attacks while I match red/blue, assuming I can trick AI into match4. Loki also tremendously helps at shaking up board for cheap to match red/blue.

Cyclops could generate red, utilizing all of the yellow I stockpile from 4Thor's blue. He could also kill ppl with Black. Can't comment on red since I have 0 covers.

Loki has obvious advantage on AI defense, but damn Cyclops really speeds up kills for shield hopping. Loki's animations take forever.
    Yes, they do, which is why many avoid him while hopping
  • He's a serviceable backup to X Force when X Force somehow gets downed, but I don't see how you'd ever use a team that's composed of 2 out of 3 of Cyclops/Thor/Loki or The Hood, because that'd leave you with no green and you're literally at the mercy of X Force when you can't deny green without skipping your turn. Even if X Force didn't exist, green is still likely the strongest attack color in the game and Cyclops isn't nearly strong enough to run a team without green.
  • ark123 wrote:
    Switchman wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Yes, they do, which is why many avoid him while hopping

Char AI defense ability is somewhat worthless as you will be shielding in high level PVP. Only thing that really matters is how quickly a character will help you win a match. I have one 166 char (Hood) whom I don't even use in 2 chars + featured, and I'm already able to kill 270/270/240 teams with ease. 4Thor makes all characters meaningless as 10k+ HP is easy to kill in one stroke.

Half of Loki/Thor is Loki shaking board to increase odds of red/blue matches. Cyclops all but guarantees you red matches. In my experience, maxed Loki is a pain to fight but he has never helped me win defensive matches unless paired with Hood. Loki has low HP which is all that matters when facing human brains + boosts.
  • As expensive as it is, Full Blast is really satisfying, and at five covers it hurts really bad. Love that animation. Not the greatest power in the world, but one I will get joy out of using.

Ditto what others have said, the lack of red covers at the moment is annoying, but I've had great fun pairing him with Daredevil. Flood the board with red, crotch kicks for everyone! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I've been running Cyclops/T4or/Groot and then Cyclops/T4or/XF in the PvE and it's pretty amazing. Hood and Loki are gimick characters with please kill me to the face with boosts amout of health. Cyclops has more health than most 3*s as well as some damn amazing abilities to boot. Why wouldn't you run T4or/Cyclops if for some reason XF was unavailable?

OK, lack of green, maybe, depending on the PvP required character, but to deny Cyke and Thor make good partners is insainity. They work quite well together.

I just finished my run up to 1000 points in Cyclops PvP, using predictably Cyke/XF/Thor. Took 2 hours. Plus one 3h shield later (and 100 on AP boosts) and for 175 imcoin.png I got a Cyke Yellow and a Elektra Black. Pretty good stuff. All thanks to the speed boost the Cyke gives to Thor. I even used Cyke's Black a few times because it's damage is above that of SS in some cases (like when you are taking purple). Of course XF's speed is undeinable and Cyke won't take his place as the main duo for PvP (and likely no one ever will for a while), but in PvE when you can bring 3 characters he becomes a pretty good choice. Worth ISO at the very least. Bumped mine to level 104 (soft cap) and I'm not sorry I did.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    I've been running Cyclops/T4or/Groot and then Cyclops/T4or/XF in the PvE and it's pretty amazing. Hood and Loki are gimick characters with please kill me to the face with boosts amout of health. Cyclops has more health than most 3*s as well as some damn amazing abilities to boot. Why wouldn't you run T4or/Cyclops if for some reason XF was unavailable?

OK, lack of green, maybe, depending on the PvP required character, but to deny Cyke and Thor make good partners is insainity. They work quite well together.

I just finished my run up to 1000 points in Cyclops PvP, using predictably Cyke/XF/Thor. Took 2 hours. Plus one 3h shield later (and 100 on AP boosts) and for 175 imcoin.png I got a Cyke Yellow and a Elektra Black. Pretty good stuff. All thanks to the speed boost the Cyke gives to Thor. I even used Cyke's Black a few times because it's damage is above that of SS in some cases (like when you are taking purple). Of course XF's speed is undeinable and Cyke won't take his place as the main duo for PvP (and likely no one ever will for a while), but in PvE when you can bring 3 characters he becomes a pretty good choice. Worth ISO at the very least. Bumped mine to level 104 (soft cap) and I'm not sorry I did.

Yeah Cyclops is pretty neat as a third for XF / GT, but I'm not convinced that he's better than Loki for that team in PvE. Now IF on the other hand, is going to do ridiculous, ridiculous things such as turn 2 surgicals, so if you have iso you should probably save for that guy instead.
  • Spent away long before IF was announced, but yes I'll probably be leveling him also. IF is to XF as Cyke is to T4or tho. If you manage to get a T4or covered first with no XF then Cyke would be an asset. If you have XF then IF will be an asset. If you have both then both could be considered assets, but get marginalized by the XF/T4or duo.
  • Nymr83
    Nymr83 Posts: 74
    This reading list is woefully abbreviated as Cyclops has one of the longest and most detailed backstories of anyone in comics.

Whoever suggested skipping X-Factor is on crack, the entire run is great from #1 straight through til the cast changes and the original X-Men are divided between the then new X-Men book and Uncanny X-Men again. Good call from whoever suggested Uncanny #201 as well.

Oh, and for any addicts out there trying to piece together an X-Men reading order that dates back more than 10 years I reccomend this website: http://crushingkrisis.com/collecting-x- ... der-guide/

it is absurd that Marvel themselves cant recomend a reading order by the way!
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Nymr83 wrote:
    This reading list is woefully abbreviated as Cyclops has one of the longest and most detailed backstories of anyone in comics.

Whoever suggested skipping X-Factor is on crack, the entire run is great from #1 straight through til the cast changes and the original X-Men are divided between the then new X-Men book and Uncanny X-Men again.
    You must be smoking a finer grade of crack than I. The first ten issues are terrible, including the half-assedintroduction of Apocalypse (as a substitute for the Owl!). It starts with Cyclops leaving his wife and baby... How can you have a hero leave their wife and baby? Then he starts in with an anti-mutant propaganda service... It was terribly thought out. It picks up when Walt Simonson comes in, and Apocalypse starts becoming Apocalypse instead of just a hood (around #19), and the Fall of the Mutants and Inferno were good, but then they do a terrible ten issue arc on a Celestial planet or something... I've never had a desire to go back to those stories. When Peter David comes in, it becomes an actually good comic. I was a big fan of Louise Simonson on New Mutants. Just not here.

So, good art, hit or miss stories. Great? Hard to say that. As for great as a Cyclops story? I would say no. He's selfish, short-sighted, sometimes psychotic (#14 is a pretty low point) It's the epitome of an editorial mandated comic: an editor deciding to in organically expand the X-line against the will of the writer (then Clatemont), bring a character back from the dead despite their death being one of the few great super hero comics ever made, and having a middling premise: mutant hunters. But if you love them, power to you. They haven't left my longboxes in 20 years.

I much prefer the Claremont Cyclops, and the modern one, especially Bendis.
  • Without a 4*, how good is Cyclops in PvP?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    Without a 4*, how good is Cyclops in PvP?

Pretty good. I should update my guide: he's basically around Doom / Cage tier: he does plenty of damage and has enough relevant abilities to carry a team. 5/3/5 is best when you don't have 4*s to rely on, since that's his most versatile build.