Ever take an inferior match because you've "got a feeling"?

Options
Arondite
Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
For instance, a bit ago I was playing a game and the board looked somewhat like this

blacktile.pngblacktile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngpurpletile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png

I could use purple and I could use red, but I really wanted green (a green match means the game ends in my favor the next turn - purple means a couple of turns, maybe 3).

So I took the red match. The 3 that drop in off the top?

blacktile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.png

Was pretty happy about it. Ever take matches like that, just for the sake of trying?

Comments

• You would have gotten same results had you made the purple match, just not have the red AP....
  • Arondite
    Options
    WilliamK99 wrote:
    You would have gotten same results had you made the purple match, just not have the red AP....

Come to think of it, I think I recreated the board incorrectly. I remember looking at it and making the decision because I wanted to have the chance to get the green.

Then when I got here on the website, I just took the quicket path to recreating the board state or reasonable fascimile.

Most likely, the purple was actually vertical and my brain took the lazy route rather than configuring that in the post.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If that was your board, you could have made a purple match3 and gotten the red and green as well...
  • Arondite
    Options
    If that was your board, you could have made a purple match3 and gotten the red and green as well...

>mfw posts in thread
    >mfw can't read 2 replies first
  • Not so much "got a feeling" as "this has a chance to crit". If you take enough "chance to crits" eventually you will hit a few.
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    was doing this today worked the first time no so well 2 and third time.
  • I've done it quite a bit when there's a potential for a connect-5 to occur.

greentile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.png
    blacktile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
    blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.png

Something like this shows up on the board and I'll connect the yellow with hopes that a green would drop from the top of the screen to connect. Of course, this only applies if its within the top three rows.
  • Anticipating drops is one of the finer points of playing this game.

greentile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.png
    blacktile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.png
    blacktile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.png

If you want a green match, matching the 3 yellow match in the middle would give you, approximately a 16% chance of a green match dropping in and matching with the 2 greens on top.

It is not guaranteed, and the 4 match on the right is more guaranteed AP, but if you want green more than yellow, it would arguably be a better move to make the middle yellow match and hope for a green match to fall.
  • @Monsoon I find it's better to chance the drop into a line 5 only if the line is on the 1st or 3rd row; when it's on the 2nd row, you're usually giving the AI a better chance of a 5 than you, with 2 other possible spots for the tile to drop into.

@Onimus I'd probably take the bottom horizontal yellow, giving myself a 1/7 chance to get the green match and 1/7 to get the yellow match, but it depends if the AI is matching green.
  • smecher
    smecher Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Monsoon wrote:
    I've done it quite a bit when there's a potential for a connect-5 to occur.

greentile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.png

Something like this shows up on the board and I'll connect the yellow with hopes that a green would drop from the top of the screen to connect. Of course, this only applies if its within the top three rows.

I'm a sucker for these patterns and I always match the yellow in these cases.

However, empirical evidence filtered by selective memory has shown that, in 90% of the cases, it results in a green tile landing on the second row, giving the AI the only match-5 pattern he can see icon_razz.gif