Not getting the advertised points for winning in pvp

Options
Unknown
edited February 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello,

So for the first time ever I have gone for the 1k reward in pvp. I read up on posts here, and also asked Alliance mates, and did a bit of shield hopping. Ended up sat at 956. I shielded and then, over the next hour or so, hand-picked two opponents.

So I won the first battle, healed everyone up and now at 984 points as the battle was advertised as being worth 28 points. All good. Second battle was for 22 points. I won, just, and it went to 1006 points, ticked the box for all rewards etc. Even better, well done me for getting 1k points for the first time ever!

Only I went back to the score screen and it says I am at 992. So it gave me 8 points for the win. No attacks have come in, nothing. Just simply the game went from 22 points for the win to 8, without telling me. Totally out of health packs so have had to throw up another shield.

Now I will probably still get 1k (assuming when I break this last shield and hopefully win one game it a) gives me 8 points for a win and b) I don't get beaten up first by someone else), but can anyone explain what just happened? This part of the game seems very much a case of getting your times right, choosing your opponents wisely whilst you are shielded and basically doing the maths. If I am not getting the points that the game is telling me I am going to get, then how can you plan?

Or am I being really dim and missing something? Because right now this all seems a bit random!

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Basically, the points you see one the matchup screen is based on the points the opponent had when they entered your queue, but the points you actually get are based on the opponent's score when you finish the match. In this case it looks like the opponent lost lots of points after you queued them up and thus were only worth a handful of points when you finished them off.
  • Ugh, and the game can't tell you that. So that part is just luck-based then.

I'm not normally bothered about stuff in this game. If the AI gets a massive cascade turn one then it happens etc. But this just seems a bit unfair really. If I don't get to 1k I will be a bit pissed off.
  • I've had that happen to me recently too. Match was advertised at 22 before start, it gave me 22 points after the match and a progression award, then when I check my ranking it had only gone up by 7! I believe it stems from a network time delay between you winning the game and the server actually telling you how many points the match was worth.
  • Managed to get the 1k after a last minute dash across the line. A bit more stressful than it needed to be though, and cost me more in shields than it should have done. Still, a single Thor cover, hurrah!

Guess this can't occur too often, otherwise it would be ruining a lot of people's run to the top.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Managed to get the 1k after a last minute dash across the line. A bit more stressful than it needed to be though, and cost me more in shields than it should have done. Still, a single Thor cover, hurrah!

Guess this can't occur too often, otherwise it would be ruining a lot of people's run to the top.
    It happens often - if you let it.
    If you queue someone when shielded, make sure it's someone from a high scoring alliance where you can either be sure they'll keep their points, or even better, someone from a t10 alliance so you can check their points before you start the fight.

When you queue random Joe Shmoe they've probably lost points between your queue and the time you fight them, so they're worth a lot less. The advertised points are not updated over time.

So if you queue an hour before hopping, take someone from a T10 alliance. Nobody else is worth keeping queued (unless you know how much they are worth because you use out of game communication).
  • Unknown
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So the bits I have been reading up on, when bods cleverer than me say "whilst shielded look for opponents, as they might not be active when you come to kill them later on so you don't get an instant retaliation" might actually be detrimental? because you selected them a while ago, the points could change and, outside of you being lucky enough to see them on the scoreboard, you have no way of knowing?

Think I have that right. Just weird that no-one actually mentions that in the advice I have seen. It's a fairly big point icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Chirus
    Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Does the reverse also apply? if you queue them up and they get more points after you queue, you also get more points for beating them?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chirus wrote:
    Does the reverse also apply? if you queue them up and they get more points after you queue, you also get more points for beating them?
    Yes, it works both ways.
    So treasure those hits you get from X and Crews, they will be juicy later in the tourney.