Downvotes

Unknown
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
I've put off asking this for a long time because I felt it was kind of petty to object to downvotes. Opinions are fair. You get to have your opinion. I had, up to just now, only one downvote. That downvote was for an opinion that another user disagreed with. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm furious that this person downvoted me, but I wouldn't come on here to complain about it. I've worn that single downvote like a mark of shame, and I've done my best since then to say things that will help and not annoy.

Just now, I had a post down voted for no good reason. I can say it was for no good reason because no reason was given and the post itself contains nothing that was objectionable.

So, I am just wondering if it's possible to appeal a downvote.

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unfortunately, we don't usually go into that, because it's pretty easy to claim it's "free speech" and it's just a honey pot of bad juju. We usually only put a hand in if they're clearly doing it maliciously (for example downvoting a lot of your posts all at once). I would assume by looking at the post they downvoted it for being "off topic"? I don't really get it personally - I upvoted it to balance it out 'cause I think it's a little silly.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it much, it really means absolutely nothing. icon_e_smile.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    People upvote things that they like and downvote things that they don't. Everyone has their own opinions and chances are yours are not going to line up with everyone else's. I don't sweat my downvotes because the people that disagree with me are just voicing their opinion. Their opinion may be wrong, but they still have the right to voice it; for now.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,908 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't sweat my downvotes because the people that disagree with me are just voicing their opinion. Their opinion may be wrong, but they still have the right to voice it; for now.
    ~Gospel of Madrox Chapter 2 Verse 11

i see what you did there! lol

Anyway, as the other dudes have mentioned not everyone is going to like what you post for a whole variety of reasons, some rational and some crazy. But don't let downvotes stop you from being awesome and doing your thing! ゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)b
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not advocating this, but sometimes, just sometimes, there's only one proper way to handle criticism on the internet.

Jay and Silent Bob

Oh, and they don't replace **** with tinykitty, so be aware...
  • I had the same feeling when I was first downvoted. Then I realized that the person who did it was probably a child and basked in my moral superiority for not retaliating.

Reminds me of thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22537

To downvote on the Q&A thread does seem petty; I mean d3 is telling you to ask questions and you get down rep for that? I had my first question in this month's Q&A downvoted twice to 0 too! (probably by the same people?)