*** Storm (Mohawk) ***

Comments

• Even with 6800 health she still suffers from nerfs applied to Operation Desert-Storm which is no longer a thing. Changing her power to function on TUs instead of environment tiles seemed like an afterthought to the whole TU system. That yellow power has to go and be replaced with something usable before I'd consider Mororo to be playable. Also her green is not great. Needs to at least go back up to 16 tiles destroyed, if not be reworked to just destroy tiles for X damage per tile plus AP.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    Slightly off topic but Psylocke Sentry Daken is actually a pretty strong combo that I wouldn't mind using on harder PvE nodes (mainly because they are characters I'd never use in late-push PvP. If Daken ends up dying he's back in 30m anyway).

Once Sentry's yellow is up Psylocke does a ton of damage with red + black (and you switch over to Psylocke's blue to avoid eating it by accident). Before that you can Daken blue into Psy red to replace his **** tiles with better ones. If you somehow end up with green you can world rupture.

Huh, I've never tried that combo before - sounds like it might be fun and a little quirky to get working properly (but when you do, watch out!) Using Chemical Reaction to eat his own tiles to make room for Psylocke's stronger red tiles is a fun move. I use Psylocke/Falcon/Punisher for quite a few PvE nodes. I'll have to try this alternate combo.

Back on topic, Mohawk/Falcon/Spiderman served me well in the survival nodes. It takes a while to kill the enemy, but when you have 2k+ in protect tiles on the board (and the occasional web bandage), things often can be managed. I also had good luck with Patch/Falcon/Lazy Daken - lots of healing, and some board clogging from Mr. F.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Storm would be good again if they reverted Mistress of the Elements to what it was before the TU change. If the devs were worried about TU abuse (buahaahaahaha) they could always limit the AP gain to 6 or whatever; but it should destroy all of them, and do more damage!
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    She may not be the best, but she is exceptional at PvE battles against goons. Pair her with OBW and Falcon and it's possible to get through most encounters without getting hit. But yeah, she's not too good against foes that can hit back.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I also feel that her main problem is HP - it is far to low to use her.
    And it's really sad for me as I always love her mohawk version in made a lot of effort to get her in my roster.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    *Posting again here in the event the other thread disappears

At Max Level: HP: 5100 Tile damage: 70/12/11/13/79/61/3.5
      Lightning Strike - Green 10 AP
      Storm calls a blinding bolt of electricity from the heavens, shattering 8 tiles, doing damage and earning AP for each.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Shatters 9 tiles. Level 3: Shatters 10 tiles. Level 4: Shatters 12 tiles. Level 5: Shatters 14 tiles.
        Mistress of the Elements - Yellow 9 AP
        Clouds darken the battlefield and lightning streaks across the sky as Storm's awesome power inspires her teammates and assaults her foes. Transforms 6 Team-Up tiles to Green tiles.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: Transforms 7 tiles. Level 3: Transforms 8 tiles. Level 4: Transforms 9 tiles. Level 5: Transforms all Team-Up tiles.
          Eye of the Storm - Black 9 AP
          Ororo glares and dark clouds coalesce. Hailstones pelt the enemy, converting 16 basic tiles to Attack tiles. PASSIVE: At the beginning of each turn, Attack tiles on the outer ring are improved by 10.
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Converts 20 tiles. Level 3: Converts 20 tiles. Level 4: Converts 25 tiles. At the beginning of each turn, Attack tiles are improved by 15. Level 5: Converts 32 tiles. The area of the storm grows to 2 from the edge.
          Max Level: Makes 32 strength 39 Attack tiles. Improves Attack tiles by up to 280/420/720 at the beginning of each turn

The black improvement amount is at level 166 since I didn't want to try and calculate what it would be at 40. For ranks 1-4 its the outer border (28 tiles total). At rank 5 it improves to 2 from the edge making it up to 48 tiles (all but the inner 4x4). If she is not dealt with quickly once black goes off the storm will quickly grow out of control which I think would help justify her low hp and help her thematically. I think Doctor Doom is bugged where his passive goes off even when he's stunned, I would hope they would fix that so stunning Storm is a viable option if you can't kill her outright.

Yellow would be broken, that's ridiculous, you would end up going into infinite turn, especially with 4hor. Yellow would end up costing 14 yellow. Black is interesting but it would cost you a lot more than 9 AP that's for sure.
        • As someone without a usable X-Force, I would probably use her more if she had higher hp. I find that all her abilities are annoying enough defensively that she's generally the first person after Hood, Loki or OBW that I aim for. Other than that, she's more useful against goons than anyone else. She just doesn't have the power to be more than mid-tier, but she's not low tier by any means.

She's best if you have a rainbow active team and decent team-ups after you fire MOTE. An AP generating polarity shift TU after MOTE has helped me win many games.
        • Trisul
          Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
          Everyone: Storm is bad.
          NP: She has niche use.
          Everyone: But she's bad.
          NP: I give up.
        • I think I might use her more if she was a blend of the other two storms instead of a copy of the 1*. (Or, gods forbid, she had new unique abilities) I'd take out her Yellow and replace it with Windstorm. I think her usability would jump a bit then. Not top tier, but better than she is now...
        • Alexraven wrote:
          I think I might use her more if she was a blend of the other two storms instead of a copy of the 1*. (Or, gods forbid, she had new unique abilities) I'd take out her Yellow and replace it with Windstorm. I think her usability would jump a bit then. Not top tier, but better than she is now...
          She'd be really good then. Ap generation, clog board, and at least 3500dmg aoe plus stun that'd be ridiculous. Only problem is that she loses her best partner as a 3* (mn mags) but she'd still be really good on her own.
        • Phaserhawk
          Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
          To make her useful they need to do 2 things.

1.) Revert green back to destroying 16 tiles at 5 covers.

2.)Yellow maxed should destroy all tiles, however, to keep it from being Polarizing Force, I would greatly reduce or remove the damage, otherwise you marginalze C.Mags who does decent damage but no AP, vs. someone for the same cost that gets AP and dmg, not very fair, I would be fine with the resulting cascade and her netting all the TU AP.
        • SymmeTrey
          SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
          I used to think she was terrible until an alliance mate pointed out her utility in goon nodes. Her black covers the board and the goons end up not even having room to put down countdown tiles. If you are very patient, you can even do the same thing with 1* Storm, levels don't really matter other than the time it takes to get through the match.

In PVP, of course, she is terrible for all the reasons outlined above. She even overlaps with Xforce's green/black which creates the possibility of suboptimal ability usage on defense.
        • Pwuz_
          Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
          dkffiv wrote:
          At Max Level: HP: 5100 Tile damage: 70/12/11/13/79/61/3.5
            Lightning Strike - Green 10 AP
            Storm calls a blinding bolt of electricity from the heavens, shattering 8 tiles, doing damage and earning AP for each.
            Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Shatters 9 tiles. Level 3: Shatters 10 tiles. Level 4: Shatters 12 tiles. Level 5: Shatters 14 tiles.
              Mistress of the Elements - Yellow 9 AP
              Clouds darken the battlefield and lightning streaks across the sky as Storm's awesome power inspires her teammates and assaults her foes. Transforms 6 Team-Up tiles to Green tiles.
              Level Upgrades
                Level 2: Transforms 7 tiles. Level 3: Transforms 8 tiles. Level 4: Transforms 9 tiles. Level 5: Transforms all Team-Up tiles.
                Eye of the Storm - Black 9 AP
                Ororo glares and dark clouds coalesce. Hailstones pelt the enemy, converting 16 basic tiles to Attack tiles. PASSIVE: At the beginning of each turn, Attack tiles on the outer ring are improved by 10.
                Level Upgrades
                  Level 2: Converts 20 tiles. Level 3: Converts 20 tiles. Level 4: Converts 25 tiles. At the beginning of each turn, Attack tiles are improved by 15. Level 5: Converts 32 tiles. The area of the storm grows to 2 from the edge.
                Max Level: Makes 32 strength 39 Attack tiles. Improves Attack tiles by up to 280/420/720 at the beginning of each turn

The black improvement amount is at level 166 since I didn't want to try and calculate what it would be at 40. For ranks 1-4 its the outer border (28 tiles total). At rank 5 it improves to 2 from the edge making it up to 48 tiles (all but the inner 4x4). If she is not dealt with quickly once black goes off the storm will quickly grow out of control which I think would help justify her low hp and help her thematically. I think Doctor Doom is bugged where his passive goes off even when he's stunned, I would hope they would fix that so stunning Storm is a viable option if you can't kill her outright.

When I 1st started reading this thread, I figured I was going to say change her to what 1* Storm was before TU's, but after reading this...

WOW. This would be pretty awesome. Though I think that Passive on Black may be a bit too OP when you consider that Falcon's Inspiration only increases 3 tiles by 94 at max level when you match yellow. I think it could be a really cool power, but those increases need to be tweaked down a bit.
              • I would use Mohawk Storm if she didn't have the same colors as XForce. That's literally the only thing keeping me from playing her.
              • NorthernPolarity
                NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
                First, a clarification on my example:

Let's say we had a standard, "Moonstone Juggs Ares" super scaled node: Juggs / Ares have 18k HP+, Moonstone has 13k HP. An optimal Storm / LadyThor / Whoever match would go something like this:
                1. 9 blue, 10 red, 10 green. while match damage on Moonstone. Surge juggs, smite moonstone down, lightning storm. Lightning storm generates 17AP on average including cascades, so roughly 3 tiles of each color destroyed, giving you say 5 blue / red / yellow AP. At this point you either:
                1. have enough AP to cast another surge, in which case you've got them both on a 4 turn stun and then it's just a matter of smiting them down which wins you the game.
                2. Do not have enough AP to cast another surge, but probably got enough yellow to cast mistress, which gives you more cascades and chances to match blue for surge.
                3. Don't have enough AP to do anything of those things, but can probably match a yellow to continue the chain (rare)

The key thing to notice here is that storm inevitably leads you to victory through a multitude of ways that even fights board screw: you have a ton of cascade chances, yellow clears up TUs leaving room for more red, blue, etc etc. Effectively, that 10 green leads you to shortly winning the game after, and is resilient to bad boards.
                Phantron wrote:
                In what world is 2 4-match move + 1 3 match move 'fast'? Are you just boosting every fight and only remember your best games? I remember you said Fury is too slow in PvP because he needs 4 matches for his moves, but somehow in PvE you always have a 4/4/3 match move ready?

In what world is a scaled PvE match comparable to a PvP match? I don't see you dealing with level 300 juggernauts that have 17k HP in PvP, do you? If the goal is to deal 20k damage in a standard PvP match (Surge the last guy), then sure, there are better paths to victory than Storm. If the goal is to deal 33k damage in a scaled PvE match, then that's a completely different game.
                Phantron wrote:
                Are you supposed to be the world's leading expert on Gauntlet/Simulator Basic on how to fight all 3 nodes that features Wolverine? For the amount of AP you claim to have you'd absolutely run over anything with X Force alone let alone X Force + Thor, and since you obviously have X Force that can only mean you spend all your time honing your skills while fighting against Wolverine as that's the only scenario you can't have X Force.

1. If I had a character that was exactly LadyThor except smite did one less damage, would she be completely unplayable and trash? Because that's your entire argument here: since X-Force exists, no other character that is inferior to X-Force is playable in any way possible, and that statement is completely ridiculous. Yeah Storm's worse than X-Force, but that doesn't make her trash tier.
                3. You give me a PvE team that can deal with the same amount of HP at that levels of efficiency (yeah yeah, BESIDES MNM MQ). Lightning strike effectively kills the third guy for 10 green AP here, regardless of how much HP he has. The concept is simple, let me lay out the plan:

NP's plan to winning against scaled PvE nodes:
                Step 1. Have LadyThor on your team
                Step 2: Gather blue and red AP
                Step 3: ???
                Step 4: Profit!

The core idea is that surge and smite are so much more AP efficient than anything else you could be doing that the game revolves around getting blue and red AP. Storm does a very good job at doing that. Does this mean that she's high tier in all facets of the game? No, her niche is AP generation / support for high scaled PvE and only really as LadyThor support. But that niche is incredibly valuable to an end-game player since LadyThor / Mohawk / X is a very reliable way to take down high level nodes, and if a character has that kind of niche, I'm inclined to believe that she isn't trash tier, and certainly better than the actual trash tier characters that I just straight up never play in any relevant circumstance, such as Psylocke, Ragnarok, etc.
              • SangFroid
                SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
                She is also my favourite 3rd partner for Mystique MNMags for the same reasons NP. Options to gather AP and board shake from Green, Yellow and Red (MNMags) to keep the inifinite loop going.
              • I think my biggest pain with using Mohawk Storm is I just can't get good enough team-ups to consistently make her yellow power usable. She is a huge team-up suck. Gathering all team-up AP for yellow would make it overpowered with the right expensive team-ups, eg whales or maxed sniper rifle. For Lightning Storm I think 16 tiles was a little too much (particularly with charged tiles), but 14 seems like too little if you don't have a good Thor. I have used her with the Magneto Mystique combo and found her more reliable to keep the chains going, but I find Thor better with the pairing in case something goes wrong at the start and you need a tank, particularly if I'm not boosting.

The niches she's best at are board shakeup with AP generation and team-up acceleration.

Excepting 2*s, Storm doesn't just fill these various niches; she pretty much OWNS these niches
              • She does not own board shake up. Not even "green board shake up".

And TU Tile sucker is a really really small niche. Almost non existant. Basically the only thing she is good at is if you use +AP all, +3 TUAP, and a Whales Whales Whales TU to then super wales on turn 3.
              • would you play runescape if jagex, adds 1 or 2 more combat skills into game?it would happen with out warning and both skills would be 120.would you still play rs if jagex would do nofting?how you it would effect current combat system?how would it effect you?do you think it would make combat system better or even more worse??
              • konannfriends
                konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
                I like to think about it this way. 1 star storm was ridiculously good with 1500 health. But when her red power got changed to yellow it became useless I run in with 5 covers just because she 1 of 3 3* characters I have maxed ( Deadpool, the hood)< the best team for her I got by luck.

But what make a 2* storm. Good is her cheap nuke. While Magneto generated the ap for her. And her yellow forces the opponent to kill her first( I know Cuz I always kill her first) Her green kinda sucked but at like 20 ap it was awesome.

I say reduce her Mistress of the elements to 5 ap where it belongs. If not that nake it convert all tiles to green.

Why the he'll does Magneto have 6800 health but she's has 5100? Uhmmm Is it because he is a man? I mean at least give her the 5800.

In pretty sure Magneto body Is no tougher than hers.

Her Black power is fine it deals thousands of damage and is spamable for 9 ap

Make her green power cheaper. Costing 8 ap for 12 destroyed tiles feels better than 10 ap for 14 tiles destroyed star.png