Can you yield without breaking shield?

Options
When does a shield break? I'd like to put in a tank team in shield training to help people pass me and therefore give me a better chance to pass them later. But i forgot to put in bagman before I threw up my 24hr shield. If i start a match and yield will my shield break? I'm stuck in a **** MMR or something. I'm at 1828 points and I can't find anyone with more than 3 points so this may be crucial to advancing to my spidey cover. Thanks for the help in advance

Comments

• Shield breaks on attacking, so if you attack your shieldtime will be over.
  • I'm not 100% on the timing but when you go to start a fight it will warn you that you are about to break shield, if that happens before or after the fight is not I'm not sure. But it will definitely be broken by the time you retreat.
  • the moose wrote:
    When does a shield break? I'd like to put in a tank team in shield training to help people pass me and therefore give me a better chance to pass them later. But i forgot to put in bagman before I threw up my 24hr shield. If i start a match and yield will my shield break? I'm stuck in a **** MMR or something. I'm at 1828 points and I can't find anyone with more than 3 points so this may be crucial to advancing to my spidey cover. Thanks for the help in advance

The shield will break the second that you actually start the match (in-fact the game will even ask if you would like to break the shield)
  • So you could attack with scrubs, retreat, then shield, then yield?
  • Misguided wrote:
    So you could attack with scrubs, retreat, then shield, then yield?

uh i suppose you might be able to yield (not sure but in theory yes) but no idea why you'd WANT to lose the points when you dont have to? O.o
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Misguided wrote:

I did this. It works fine. Shield stays up.

You DO lose the points for yielding, though.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    Misguided wrote:

I did this. It works fine. Shield stays up.

You DO lose the points for yielding, though.

Interesting. I still wonder in the back of my mind whether attacks when shielded affect mmr. Should be easy enough to figure out, but I haven't experimented.
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    Misguided wrote:

uh i suppose you might be able to yield (not sure but in theory yes) but no idea why you'd WANT to lose the points when you dont have to? O.o

your scrub team won't show up to other people if you don't yield.
  • Misguided wrote:
    Interesting. I still wonder in the back of my mind whether attacks when shielded affect mmr. Should be easy enough to figure out, but I haven't experimented.

I was just wondering that myself...still threw 90% of my team under the bus yielding in SHIELD training regardless icon_e_wink.gif So harder to experiment after all that.
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Misguided wrote:

I was just wondering that myself...still threw 90% of my team under the bus yielding in SHIELD training regardless icon_e_wink.gif So harder to experiment after all that.
    If you do lose mmr, would that make it harder to find high point opponents afterwards?
  • Derethus wrote:
    Roya PQ wrote:
    If you do lose mmr, would that make it harder to find high point opponents afterwards?

The problem I had was finding lots of much beefier opponents after i reached about 1050 or so in Double Shot. All 100+ for most of them and i'm just running a 65 IM40, 85 wolf 85 obw. There are still easier targets up in this 1000+ range, I'm sure, because that's how i got to 1400 last Double Shot icon_e_wink.gif. So i'd like to find some easier ones to climb up to 1400 and get all the rewards.
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Derethus wrote:
    Roya PQ wrote:

The problem I had was finding lots of much beefier opponents after i reached about 1050 or so in Double Shot. All 100+ for most of them and i'm just running a 65 IM40, 85 wolf 85 obw. There are still easier targets up in this 1000+ range, I'm sure, because that's how i got to 1400 last Double Shot icon_e_wink.gif. So i'd like to find some easier ones to climb up to 1400 and get all the rewards.

I was wondering about this just today. Because if MMR is affected while shielded, you could use a really weak team for your final match before throwing up the shield, and tank your MMR tremendously while still placing in the tournament. I don't think I'd resort to this personally, but I'm really curious if it's possible.
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    your scrub team won't show up to other people if you don't yield.

I'm newish to the game and only tanked for the first time on Wednesday during lightning rounds, but I don't think this is true. I would play each LR to 100 points for the token, swap in 2 lvl-1 characters with my stock lvl-15 villain, and LOSE a match (not retreat). I did NOT yield out of the opponent on the opponent select screen. I would then go play S.H.I.E.L.D. training and watch as I got hit 20-30 times over the next 60 minutes. Obviously I don't KNOW what team my opponents saw, but I typically did not get hit that frequently in LR with my regular lvl 50ish team in.

If I'm right and you want to drop MMR while shielded, you should just start a match with scrubs after you've gotten to wherever you want to shield, lose it (or retreat, that part I'm not sure if it matters), and then shield.