Not happy with the coin shop

Options
Katai
Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I think the coin shop really killed my enthusiasm for this game. Basically, the randomness really frustrates me. I tried four times to get a Modern Hawkeye cover, and got 4 Thors instead. While I knew that it was random, and that getting 4 Thors was a distinct possibility, I'm basically at a point where I have to accept that I'll never own any of the characters I like and swear off the coin shop completely.

There are so few opportunities to earn coins in game. Losing 600 coins to a character I don't like feels awful, and I won't be gambling real money away just to end up with more Thors. Overall, I just don't feel like playing anymore because I'm stuck with the characters I have.

Comments

• I truly question the logic behind the forcing the player to spend money to purchase a "random chance" at the character they want, not the actual character.

I used to play a collectible card game, and as most folks know, you get the cards sealed in plastic package. However, I always knew whatever duplicate cards I got, I'd have the opportunity to trade them to my friends to get the card I wanted.

D3 does not provide anyone with that opportunity with Marvel Puzzle Quest. I can't trade with anyone, I cannot swap any characters -- you get whatever you get, you cannot trade it, and you're stuck with it. Get 5 Thors in a row? Too bad.

I absolutely abhor this attitude with game publishers. "Oh well, tough luck, we already got your money."

I have to ask the question here -- was any market research done before the decision was made to launch a coin shop with random character drops while simultaneously disallowing the customer to trade duplicates? If the answer is no, you didn't do any market research, then how do you expect to build a game that players enjoy and want to come back to?
  • Random character drops are all part if the game. Treat it like your playing pluzzlequest mixed with acollectanlecard game. If everyone could simply buy the best characters then it would be pointless doing pvp tourneys, also don't you think it would be boring to play if everyone you face have the same characters which would then use the same powers and tactics against you again and again and again. Where is the gun it that. Also you need to look at the sense of achievement and satisfaction you get when you are lucky enough to get a rare of the one you want.

All part of the game which makes me keep on playing and extends the longevity of the game

Remember you can win coins in the tourneys if you rank high enough, so you can still have the chances to get diff chars, you just need to be a bit patient
  • I agree with the above poster. It's part of the fun to see who you draw. Although I do admit I felt trolled when I kept getting Bag-Man... It's a waste but I just sell them back lol. I refuse to play with heroes I dislike (The Avengers lol).
  • There are alot of games set up like this. Transformers card game, Defenders of Texel (I liked that one till legendaries came out and all previous cards kinda became obsolete), blood brothers and some more similar.....They generate good income with the tourneys and always new better cards added. You can dislike it but if a few ppl willing to spend good money to stay on top. The developers will not notice it much. I just hope that in this one the inflation will not be soo high that the top cards of 2 events back are considered weak. Add more difference not overall better cards and let players be able to work on strategies. Even when they dunt pay. The ones that do will do it for a even small percentage better cards. And yes. A trade system will keep 0layers around. Check Defenders of Texel. They got one working....
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    ArchJojo wrote:
    There are alot of games set up like this. Transformers card game, Defenders of Texel (I liked that one till legendaries came out and all previous cards kinda became obsolete), blood brothers and some more similar.....They generate good income with the tourneys and always new better cards added. You can dislike it but if a few ppl willing to spend good money to stay on top. The developers will not notice it much. I just hope that in this one the inflation will not be soo high that the top cards of 2 events back are considered weak. Add more difference not overall better cards and let players be able to work on strategies. Even when they dunt pay. The ones that do will do it for a even small percentage better cards. And yes. A trade system will keep 0layers around. Check Defenders of Texel. They got one working....

We're definitely not planning (for the forseeable future of course, who knows what the game could look like in 5 years) on pushing earlier characters into obsolescence. For one, that turns things into exactly what you're saying in that only the people capable of chasing the new stuff are at all competitive. We want players of all levels of play and veteranship to be able to enjoy the game. That doesn't happen when only the last 5 released characters are the only ones useful in Events. For an example at this very moment, we've got a 1 star weekend tourney running. Only common characters can be used, so no matter if you just started or invested 5 billion dollars into the game, it's only the likes of Black Widow (Modern), Storm (Modern), and Juggernaut (Classic) that are what matters.
  • Thnx. Ya made my day. (And my almost maxed iron man's too)
  • I like what IceIX said there....he will be missed.

Until further notice RIP IceIX
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    I like what IceIX said there....he will be missed.

Until further notice RIP IceIX

Until I read the date/time stamp I truly thought this was a new thread. icon_lol.gif
  • lmfao awesome bump

awesome, yet sad
  • We'll last time he visited the forums was 06th January 2014, 17:40 (utc +1)