*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    locked wrote:
    Excuse me? Modern Thor has already been featured twice or more in heroic events, where best standalone builds for characters matter so much more, while X-Force has never been featured in a Heroic event and likely never will.

A few heroics over the course of how long? Compared to about every other pvp where I run him with X-Force?

Sorry, like jesse said, if it wasn't for X-Force I would respec. The two characters pair great and if you are only going to use CtS 1% of the time you play him, you should consider respecing to 5 red. If X-Force steals yellow, green, or black, it's game over with 3* Thor. If he steals red and you can get off 2 reds, it creates 6 yellows and 4.2k damage that can lead to another game over.

It's sad when you have to model some of your characters around X-Force, but you gotta do what you gotta do to stay competitive.
  • Dauthi wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Excuse me? Modern Thor has already been featured twice or more in heroic events, where best standalone builds for characters matter so much more, while X-Force has never been featured in a Heroic event and likely never will.

A few heroics over the course of how long? Compared to about every other pvp where I run him with X-Force?

Sorry, like jesse said, if it wasn't for X-Force I would respec. The two characters pair great and if you are only going to use CtS 1% of the time you play him, you should consider respecing to 5 red. If X-Force steals yellow, green, or black, it's game over with 3* Thor. If he steals red and you can get off 2 reds, it creates 6 yellows and 4.2k damage that can lead to another game over.

It's sad when you have to model some of your characters around X-Force, but you gotta do what you gotta do to stay competitive.
    There's a decent argument to be made for 355 if you think about defense. If xf gets killed the green still fuels a good ability.
  • If Thor is boosted, Call the Storm does about 13K damage for 14 green, versus X Force which does about 4500 damage straight up + a very high potential amount of cascade damage (that is, AP collected from cascades being used for something else later). In the raw numbers, Call the Storm does beat X Force, and it's sometimes convenient to be able to hit everyone. For example suppose you have 16 green AP and you've a guy a 20K, 20K, and 2K HP guy (the 2K is the guy you're trying to kill first). 2 X Forces will do 4500+2000 = 6500 damage + cascade, versus Call the Storm doing 6600 + 3300 + 2000 = 12000 damage. Sure you can X Force another guy, but if the guy with 2K is Juggernaut you probably don't want to risk him having more time to get Headbutts off. This is probably more relevent for PvE than PvP since you just don't have too many scenarios where a PvP team can take 2 X Forces without being dismantled.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    My dominant strategy this PvE vs that ridiculous juggs node is to get enough AP for thunder strike + surgical + random green AP, and then thunder strike into surgical into double CTS. This is enough to just barely kill Ares / Thor, and is much more damage efficient than X-Force when facing scaled opponents. - boosted CtS does 6.6k + 3.3k to the other two, and level 3 does a much much worse 4.5k + 2.2k to the other two. The point still stands that if you aren't using thor on your PvP A team, then 3/5/5 is the only build to go, since even with X-Force, boosted CtS is just that good.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    dkffiv wrote:
    don't forget daken. Torch doesn't count 'cause he's a 3* that got turned into a 2*
    I wonder what the thought process was when they decided to create the 2*, essentially a downgrade. Upgrading to a gold 3*, I get. But downgrading to a 2* that's essentially a weaker copy, that is squishier?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    dider152 wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    don't forget daken. Torch doesn't count 'cause he's a 3* that got turned into a 2*
    I wonder what the thought process was when they decided to create the 2*, essentially a downgrade. Upgrading to a gold 3*, I get. But downgrading to a 2* that's essentially a weaker copy, that is squishier?
    2* are easier to get and complete. Consider it a warm-up for building the 3*.
  • dider152 wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    They did it to improve the diversity in the 2 star range.

This was before 2 star daken had his blue ability, so he had a level cap of level 78.

This was also before Ms Marvel.

So in 2 star range, there were really only 2 types of teams:
    OBW and Thor/Ares
    Magneto and Storm

That was basically all you ever saw. Occasionally, you'd see a Wolverine thrown in, or maybe a Thor and Ares team. But neither of those were very common because they share the same colors and they didn't hold a candle to the above 2 teams.

Characters you never ever saw:
    Moonstone
    Captain America
    Bullseye
    Bagman
    Daken (because like I said, he had a level cap of 78 and only the two powers)
    Hawkeye (this was when his tiles were placed in random locations, so he was extremely unreliable.)

One glaring weakness in this set of characters was the lack of color diversity. You had your blue/purple characters in Magneto, OBW and storm. And you had your Green/Yellow/Red in Thor, Ares and Wolverine.

There was no black at all. So they looked at their 3 star roster, I imagine, and just picked one with a strong black ability who was being underutilized in the 3 star range, and added him to the 2 star range.

Then they added Ms Marvel, who also uses black.

They also remade Hawkeye to go well with Magneto.

And finally, they upgraded Daken to reflect his 3 star self, with the blue active, raising his level cap to 94.

It didn't solve every problem in the 2 star range, but it at least gave some diversity and choice to the players, rather than forcing them to either go OBW/tank or Mags/Cstorm.
  • onimus wrote:
    dider152 wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

This was before 2 star daken had his blue ability, so he had a level cap of level 78.

OBW and Thor/Ares
    Magneto and Storm

That was basically all you ever saw. Occasionally, you'd see a Wolverine thrown in, or maybe a Thor and Ares team. But neither of those were very common because they share the same colors and they didn't hold a candle to the above 2 teams.

Moonstone
    Captain America
    Bullseye
    Bagman
    Hawkeye (this was when his tiles were placed in random locations, so he was extremely unreliable.)

One glaring weakness in this set of characters was the lack of color diversity. You had your blue/purple characters in Magneto, OBW and storm. And you had your Green/Yellow/Red in Thor, Ares and Wolverine.

There was no black at all. So they looked at their 3 star roster, I imagine, and just picked one with a strong black ability who was being underutilized in the 3 star range, and added him to the 2 star range.

And finally, they upgraded Daken to reflect his 3 star self, with the blue active, raising his level cap to 94.

It didn't solve every problem in the 2 star range, but it at least gave some diversity and choice to the players, rather than forcing them to either go OBW/tank or Mags/Cstorm.

Unfortunately it only worked at the low tier of 2*. Torch or Ms Marvel might go ok with MBW, but they just don't have the same synergy with anyone in the 2* level. I very rarely see any 2* outside of the top 7, (OBW, Ares, Thor, Mag, CStorm, Daken, Wolverine) once you get to 300.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    daibar wrote:
    onimus wrote:
    dider152 wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

OBW and Thor/Ares
    Magneto and Storm

Moonstone
    Captain America
    Bullseye
    Bagman

Unfortunately it only worked at the low tier of 2*. Torch or Ms Marvel might go ok with MBW, but they just don't have the same synergy with anyone in the 2* level. I very rarely see any 2* outside of the top 7, (OBW, Ares, Thor, Mag, CStorm, Daken, Wolverine) once you get to 300.

2* Torch has great synergy with Daken. Marvel is pretty whatever, but at least has a reasonable black power. Remember that before Marvel / Torch, the only available black actives were Moonstone and Bullseye: those two characters greatly fleshed out the PvE roster IMO. PvP yeah, Ares / OBW is always going to dominate but meh. Also remember that Daken didn't need to be upgraded to 3* Daken tier either: he was pretty mediocre before that change occurred.

The changes gave a good regen option for PvP in Daken, and good black powers in Torch / Marvs for PvE, which should make the 2* metagame a lot more interesting.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    In the recent PvE where Thor was boosted, I enjoyed using him with Hood and Loki. It completely starved the enemy of AP and I could just patiently build up and then destroy people.

I also ran that team in the recent Divine Champions PvP, and despite being underleveled (I currently cap my guys at 114) it won quite a few defensive matchups.
  • I've had this character forever and haven't come across any since I got this one. Is it still worth me keeping? Is this card still available to pull?
  • He was vaulted for a time, so that may explain why you haven't seen him much. I would definitely recommend keeping him as long as you have the space available. Not only because Im typically against selling 3* unless absolutely needed, but also because he's a solid 3* for transitioners.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Merged availability question with character discussion. Pleas keep all character discussions to the character's topic. This includes availability, drop rates, etc.
  • Right now, I him at level 55.

1 redflag.png
    2 yellowflag.png
    1 greenflag.png

Worth keeping up with, or start and build 2* Thor, which will be quicker?
  • **thor will be quicker obviously, but LThor is better,

u have a baby thor, id say, build your **thor first and try to gain some wins in pve and play your deadpool dailies.
    go for 4000 pts in simulator for that 10pack of heroics.

on another note: is there a consensus now in his build when paired up with XF?

553 or 355? cant decide for the life of me. but with the potentially soon to be XF nerf 355 is the safer bet, right? RIGHT?
  • Nylarx
    Nylarx Posts: 77 Match Maker
    I say stick with 355. 553 is only good if you get red (with SS), and the damage increase is a little marginal. On the plus side is that when the AI saves up for Thor's green it will pack a bigger punch as well.
  • Got completely smashed by a 553 Thor, just because I expected him to hit for 1300 with red instead of 2100. Would a 454 or even 355 Thor be so bad? Getting 8 red can often be done quickly and is sometimes vital in speedy fights (like when you need to smash Hood or Iron Fist fast), whereas whenever I get green I tend to use it only for X-force. So what do you say about that?
  • Daige wrote:
    whereas whenever I get green I tend to use it only for X-force. So what do you say about that?

X-Force is about to become borderline useless?
  • So...this guy's about to be boss again, right? Is TGT/X-Force a good argument against simply building a team around this Thor instead?

I know that X-Force still has a pretty high damage output in black, but without the AP steal and the big, bad green I'm not convinced that he's a complete package. I use to use Thor/Panther a lot last year; seems like they could be poised to make a pretty effective come-back. Thoughts?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Moon 17 wrote:
    So...this guy's about to be boss again, right? Is TGT/X-Force a good argument against simply building a team around this Thor instead?

I know that X-Force still has a pretty high damage output in black, but without the AP steal and the big, bad green I'm not convinced that he's a complete package. I use to use Thor/Panther a lot last year; seems like they could be poised to make a pretty effective come-back. Thoughts?
    The overlap on yellow with BP and LT is killer. cMagneto and Loki are far better partners for Thor. Hood if you insist but there's not much synergy and overlapping yellows again. Grocket, Blade, Kamala, GSBW, Hulk, Daken, Doom, Daredevil, lazy Cap, Ragnarok, She-Hulk (offense only), Professor X all make fine dance partners.