What does (nerf) stand for?

Options
I see it all over the forum but am still clueless..lol

Comments

• AresWr4th wrote:
    I see it all over the forum but am still clueless..lol

It's the opposite of buff. It originates from Nerf toys which are soft and cause no harm.
  • Generally, to take something overpowered and weaken it.
  • It means to diminish or make less effective.
  • We need a new word for what the devs are doing...nerf is too weak of a word
  • Misguided wrote:
    Generally, to take something overpowered and weaken it.
    Something doesn't have to be overpowered to get nerfed, but generally it only happens to things that are overpowered.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Funny, you made me actually want to look up the origins. While I knew what the word meant, I didn't know how it came about.

Urban Dictionary:
    The term "nerfing" comes from the online gaming world of Ultima Online.

At one point in the game, the developers reduced the power of swords in melee combat.

This resulted in players complaining that it was like they were hitting each other with nerf bats, not swords.

From then on, if ever something gets made less worth while than it had been originally, it is considered 'nerfed'
    "Oh man, they reduced the dmg on the berserker class and now it's totally nerfed!"

"Damn, the Devs nerfed those axe's real good!"
  • Gotcha I'm an old salt from Kingdoms of Camelot so 'id be more familar with debuff term..lol.. played Ultima but had to pick one online obseccion and have and still play koc for over 4 yrs..lol
  • If one bright spot came out of today's mess is that I now know where nerf came from
  • Not entirely reps fault...lol...

Jokes aside, what jozier said. It's nerf or nothing. Not sure how big nerf toys are outside of western culture though....
  • Been online gaming since myspace was king and its the 1st ive heard it( or more likely 1st time ive seen it and wanted to know).TY guys for the reply...Thus far I must say this forum is one of the best, only 30% of posts read like a spoiled rich B*itch whinning and everyone has been very helpful, esp. a few days ago when I had good game play but limited insight.Got a better grip now and forums on short list of fav.'s. AresWr4th of Maine
  • On a similar note, what is "tinykitty"? I've seen it thrown around the forums a lot with regards to Rag.
  • grimeon wrote:
    On a similar note, what is "tinykitty"? I've seen it thrown around the forums a lot with regards to Rag.
    It's what the forum uses as its filter instead of *****. So if you say the c word...****...it makes it tiny kitty like it did there.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    We need a new word for what the devs are doing...nerf is too weak of a word

Oh? I vote "tinykitty".
  • grimeon wrote:
    On a similar note, what is "tinykitty"? I've seen it thrown around the forums a lot with regards to Rag.
    It's what the forum uses as its filter instead of *****. So if you say the c word...tinykitty...it makes it tiny kitty like it did there.

Oh, that makes sense. Most adorable censoring ever.