*** Daken (Classic) ***

Comments

• Nonce orders the powers in terms of match damage color, not the actual cover order in game.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    Nonce orders the powers in terms of match damage color, not the actual cover order in game.
    Wow, I always though the power order was alredy in the order of the match strenght.
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Getting purple covers for Ldaken seems to be much harder than any of his other covers. I have 5 black and 2 blue but no purple yet. Hope I can get a purple before he is vaulted. Maybe during the off season
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    Nonce orders the powers in terms of match damage color, not the actual cover order in game.
    Wow, I always though the power order was alredy in the order of the match strenght.

Roughly 75% of the characters have match strength and power order being the same but there are exceptions. The obvious ones would be the characters whose abilities are not the same as their match colors, but a lot of the older characters have this problem plus a few of the newer ones (Deadpool, Daken, Magneto after he was revamped).
  • WHY has this character been vaulted so long! icon_e_sad.gif 3 seasons is extreme....
  • RyanL24
    RyanL24 Posts: 54
    Well, he's back! And.... nobody is talking about him.

I'm having a tough time deciding what to do. Mine is at 5/3/5 (going by the poll here, and not the game... I have 3 purple) because those are just the covers I've pulled.

Creating 2 strike tiles is awesome! Doing all that damage with Chemical Reaction is awesome! But... Black is his defining power, the ability to heal, right? I use him a lot with Blade who provides some strike tiles to use, so maybe 5 Purple isn't too important. But then the difference between 3 Purple and 4 Purple is nothing, and if you aren't going for 5 Purple... and you're planning on burning those strike tiles up with Chemical Reaction anyway...

But according to the poll, only 6% of the people who voted seem to agree with this theory. Any thoughts?
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    RyanL24 wrote:

I'm having a tough time deciding what to do. Mine is at 5/3/5 (going by the poll here, and not the game... I have 3 purple) because those are just the covers I've pulled.

Creating 2 strike tiles is awesome! Doing all that damage with Chemical Reaction is awesome! But... Black is his defining power, the ability to heal, right? I use him a lot with Blade who provides some strike tiles to use, so maybe 5 Purple isn't too important. But then the difference between 3 Purple and 4 Purple is nothing, and if you aren't going for 5 Purple... and you're planning on burning those strike tiles up with Chemical Reaction anyway...

But according to the poll, only 6% of the people who voted seem to agree with this theory. Any thoughts?

Even with 553 I've had Daken die due to lack of blue tiles several times (more than just a couple of times while attempting to prologue heal him). More covers in blue means he eats more strike tiles (especially bad if you're using him with premium tiles like Patch's or Groot's) and you can't really spam blue unless the match is ending or you'll end up killing him from heat.

In general I try to avoid matching blue unless I absolutely must deny it and by the end of the match I can use it two or three times.
  • Boommike
    Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    This is more about the character himself than about him as a player in the game: can someone explain his "claws"?
    I am a superhero fan, but never got into reading comics so I didn't even know Daken existed until this game--thanks MPQ!--much less how to even pronounce his name (long or short a?). From the few pieces of art on him I've seen in game, he has two claws on the top of his hand and one coming from the bottom, from his wrist.
    But in the simulator round 1 screen (where the nodes are located), at the bottom left, he's the character on the "Recruit Heroes" button. (I'd include a screenshot, but dont know how)
    In that snapshot, it looks like he's got claws like his dear ol' dad.
    What's the deal?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    His claws are two above the wrist and one below. Chemical Reaction looks wrong because uses the same pose designed for Wolverine's Berserker Rage and Surgical Strike moves.
  • RyanL24
    RyanL24 Posts: 54
    dkffiv wrote:
    RyanL24 wrote:

Even with 553 I've had Daken die due to lack of blue tiles several times (more than just a couple of times while attempting to prologue heal him). More covers in blue means he eats more strike tiles (especially bad if you're using him with premium tiles like Patch's or Groot's) and you can't really spam blue unless the match is ending or you'll end up killing him from heat.

In general I try to avoid matching blue unless I absolutely must deny it and by the end of the match I can use it two or three times.

I'm sorry it took so long to thank you, but... "Thank you!"

I mostly lurk on this site on my phone where I'm not logged in, and I don't get to a real computer often these days. Except to work, or course. I took your advice and wanted to thank you and say that I have read your posts for a while now, I respect your knowledge, and appreciate your help.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    yay, daken is my second 3* to have 13 covers

hes 445 now, and today is a black cover in the DDQ rotation.
    i always thought i will play him like his 2* counterpart - pair him up with a green user, generate strike tiles, use blue and convert them for massive dmg. 2* daken has 3 covers for pheromone rage

now i saw 3* daken generates 2 strike tiles with one green match. even better, right? 2 green matches and 5 blue equals almost 3k dmg.

not sure which build i want (was thinking about 535), but the majority voted for only 3 in blue and im confused.
    whats up with that? i understand you dont want daken to convert other high damaging strike tiles (patch? groot?), but is this the only reason? what if he is the only generator of the team, or do you just use him for tanking and healing with his black and generating? ignoring his blue seems counterintuitive to me.

regarding the strike tiles...
    i wouldnt pair him with grocket because of the blue power overlap.
    dont want him with patch, because i really like the double dmg with obw which i would lose when daken tanks every color.

im still confused about his build and partners.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    while i do have cyc, ironfist, lthor, blade and patch, they are well undercovered with 6-8 covers

but thanks for giving me ideas!
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Since no-one's written a thing on this page in over a year, I though I'd change that.

Hello, Daken fans! icon_lol.gif
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Definitely a fan here. Daken is a huge help when in the 3* realm.
    Plan his colors to tank purple and black for other players and save immensely in health packs.
    Use him with teammates that need green, and especially against enemies that need green against you = free strikes all over.
    Cheap blue power that only costs 5 and a few strike tiles - ones you'll get right back on the next green match.
    Excellent.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    I'm less than a year into MPQ and 3* Daken has recently become a vital part of my game.

I had been using 3* Cap, IM40, and GSBW for the Big Enchilada until champing Daken. 3* Blade, Daken, and Thor have cut my Big Enchilada time in half. With that setup I keep his blue at 5 because he and Blade will immediately replace the strike tiles it uses, and it does massive damage for 5 AP.

Super useful character.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's fun with Blade/Falcon as well, and once I have enough covers I anticipate that Blade/Strange will also be a slightly ridiculous team.

Looking forward to actually being able to use him in the dark avenger story events, too icon_e_smile.gif
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm less than a year into MPQ and 3* Daken has recently become a vital part of my game.

I had been using 3* Cap, IM40, and GSBW for the Big Enchilada until champing Daken. 3* Blade, Daken, and Thor have cut my Big Enchilada time in half. With that setup I keep his blue at 5 because he and Blade will immediately replace the strike tiles it uses, and it does massive damage for 5 AP.

Super useful character.

I'm approaching day 1000 with 17-18 champed 4*s, and I still use Daken every day.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, I agree he's still one of the most useful ***. Iron Fist/Daken/Falcon is my usual go-to team for the Big Enchilada fight, though I will mix it up and do Blade/Daken/Falcon or Bullseye/Daken/Falcon sometimes. He's also great to put in front when you are expecting a big hit, as the true healing becomes handy.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I call Daken 'The Answer'

Q: Hm, my rainbow is missing <Blue/Black/Purple>, who can I throw in there that plays well with others?

Q: Where can I get some offensive blue?

Q: Who's got a cheap power I can team Kamala up with?

Q: This Thanos guy is interesting. Who can I team him with?

Q: I need to burn through some PVE nodes without using health packs. Let's see, I'll grab some form of Wolverine and...?

Q: I have to use 2-star characters on these nodes? Let's see, I've got Thor/Ares/Wolverine and...?
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been waiting for the timing of his blue attack to be fixed... but is it really intended to occur in the order that it is playing out?

The timing of Daken's blue attack still feels off... it didn't used to be this way, but has been for probably over a year now... and it was initially spoken of as a bug, but then was never 'fixed'.

There should be two parts to his attack.  Part 1 should do one round of total damage, the base damage of the attack plus the additional damage from converting the attack tiles.  Part 2 of the attack should then change blue tiles to green potentially causing matches creating new strike tiles.

Instead we have the attack broken up into 3 parts that follow the order of the description, which is 1) base damage, 2) convert tiles potentially making matches, then 3) converting strike tiles for extra damage.

By having broken the damage into two different parts, you have a 3 part move with damage (not sure if it uses the bonus damage of the strike tiles), then converting and possibly making a match (using the bonus damage of the strike tiles), then finally the converting of the strike tiles for additional damage.

This breaking up of the damage seems to screw up other people's passives as sometimes it's treated as 2 different sets of damage, instead of combining that damage into one big attack.

The most annoying part to me is that if he only had 2 strike tiles out before the attack kicks off, it allows him to make more right before removing them if the green tiles create a match.

Is this actually a bug? Because it wasn't always this way... but began to behave this way after one of the patches or updates, then just seemed to stay that way.