** Magneto (Marvel NOW!) ** [PRE 2015-03]

[anchor=magneto2]Magneto (Marvel NOW!)[/anchor]
2 Star Rarity (Uncommon) Discussion link
At Max Level: HP: 4998 Tile damage: 11/39/50/45/9/10
    Iron Hammer - Blue 6 AP
    Magneto forms a mass of sharpnel to hurl at his enemies. Converts a random Blue tile into a 1 turn Countdown tile that destroys the 9 surrounding tiles.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Increases tiles destroyed to 13, +1 AP Cost. Level 3: Increases tiles destroyed to 21, +1 to countdown timer, +2 AP Cost. Level 4: Increases tiles destroyed to 29, +1 to countdown timer. Level 5: Increase area of effect to entire board, +1 to Countdown timer, +4 AP Cost.
      Polarity Shift - Purple 11 AP
      Magneto uses the sheer force of magnetism to reconfigure the battlefield. Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Costs 1 AP less. Level 3: +1 tile affected (total 4). Level 4: Costs 1 AP less. Level 5: +1 tile affected (total 5).
        Magnetic Flux - Red 8 AP
        Magneto creates an unstable magnetic field. Turns a random basic Red tile into a 3 turn Countdown tile that deals 183 damage to the current target.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: Reduces countdown to 2, +1 AP cost. Level 3: Destroy a 3x3 block around the Countdown tile. +2 AP cost. Level 4: Reduces countdown to 1. Level 5: Destroy a 5x5 block, +3 AP cost.
        Max Level: 1936 damage

Original post:
        What would be the best way to build Magneto? I'd definetly max his purple skill but after that? I think blue would be good for PvE and red for PvP. Is that about right? Does anyone have his max stats?
        Copied from tips & guides section:

Magneto (Marvel NOW!)
        2 Star Rarity (Uncommon)

Iron Hammer - Blue 6 AP
        Magneto forms a mass of sharpnel to hurl at his enemies. Converts a random Blue tile into a 1 turn Countdown tile that destroys the 9 surrounding tiles.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Increases tiles destroyed to 13, +1 AP Cost.
        Level 3: Increases tiles destroyed to 21, +1 to countdown timer, +2 AP Cost.
        Level 4: Increases tiles destroyed to 29, +1 to countdown timer.
        Level 5: Increase area of effect to entire board, +1 to Countdown timer, +4 AP Cost.

Polarity Shift - Purple 11 AP
        Magneto uses the sheer force of magnetism to reconfigure the battlefield. Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
        Level 3: +1 tile affected (total 4).
        Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
        Level 5: +1 tile affected (total 5).

Magnetic Flux - Red 8 AP
        Magneto creates an unstable magnetic field. Turns a random basic Red tile into a 3 turn Countdown tile that deals 183 damage to the current target.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Reduces countdown to 2, +1 AP cost.
        Level 3: Destroy a 3x3 block around the Countdown tile. +2 AP cost.
        Level 4: Reduces countdown to 1.
        Level 5: Destroy a 5x5 block, +3 AP cost.

Comments

• Just theorycrafting but 4/5/4 seems the best.

For his blue, nuking the whole board is not much different from nuking half the board seeing that the position is going to be quite random. Additional countdown and AP cost just makes it even more risky and less reliable, so I'd definitely want either only 3 or 4 in that.

So the question is whether 4 or 5 is better for his red. I'd go with 4, since that probably maximizes damage/AP.
        • Do you get AP for nuking the board?
        • Iron Hammer doesn't generate AP for the explosion, only for any subsequent cascades.

Polarity Shift and Magnetic Flux generate AP for any gems you clear.
        • I don't particularly care for either red or blue to be honest, perhaps slightly more for red. Problem with red however, is that it's a very common colour. I think it really depends on who you use him with. 4/5/4 for generic build, or 5/5/3 / 3/5/5 for specific team synergies.

Take two common characters for example, Thor and c.Storm. Mags + Thor, you'd want 5/5/3. Mags + c.Storm, you'd want 3/5/5.
        • In that case, 3/5/5 and 4/5/4 both seems viable.
        • 3/5/5 works best for me
        • Unknown
          edited July 2015
          I feel this guy is a very underrated support character and pretty well balanced. He doesn't seem overpowered at all.

The obvious synergy here is with Classic Storm to use his purple to feed her blue. That's what jumped out at me the first time I saw him. I figured it would be a totally OP team, but since they're both so squishy, I'm fine with it.

I've seen other players (DumDumDugan I think it was) use him with other characters like Spider-Man. Dugan, were you just going for blue stunlock with Spidey? Or was there something else?
        • Red is nasty too. A low 40s Magneto does nearly 1000 damage with it, which is comparable to IM, but for less AP and with many more levels to go. The downside is that it creates a counter.
        • Zathrus wrote:
          Red is nasty too. A low 40s Magneto does nearly 1000 damage with it, which is comparable to IM, but for less AP and with many more levels to go. The downside is that it creates a counter.

Is it though? I got this guy really early and built 3/5/5 without really reading over skill descriptions, so I have maxed red and purple. Mine is really low level so the red isn't doing a lot of damage, even maxed. I'm kinda regretting this build, because I didn't realize maxed blue clears the entire board, which sounds like huge damage. Also, there are so many other characters that do waaayyy better damage with red...

I think knowing what I know now, I would've built him 5/5/3 and used him mainly for support with a red damage character (Thor, Ragnarok, etc.). Magnus, Classic Storm, and Thor is probably a real solid team. Haven't been leveling either Magneto or Storm though.

Anybody tried using The Hood with this guy to lower countdowns?
        • I use 2* Magneto on an X-Men team and he is 4/5/4. His primary role is to (of course) use his purple to fuel Classic Storm. I balanced his other two powers to maximize damage-to-timer ratio. His red and blue are just back-ups on my team anyway; I'll use his blue if Storm is down and his red if Wolvie (2*) is down.

I realize there isn't a 'tank' on this team to absorb a lot of hit points, though Wolvie (with regeneration) does okay in this role. It usually doesn't matter because they take guys out quickly - especially if Wolverine is able to spit out a bunch of attack tiles from his green ability.

I really like 2* Magneto. The animation and sound effects for his powers are cool.
        • I want to pair him with my spidey for stun lock. But I only have him at 1 red and 2 purple. Nonluck with further covers icon_razz.gif. Oh well tomorrow is heroic token day, I'm hopin for purple.

I would run thor, magneto and spidey. This team would be invincible in pve, but likely blow hard at pvp defense. So yeah... I dunno I still want this to happen. I could probably stun lock the other team and still have enough blue to clear the board with magneto. It'd be an interesting team.
        • Does anyone have a full build yet? Still undecided if I should raise blue or red to 5. Blue is a unique and awesome skill but countdown tile with timer 4 is a lot of time to get rid of it, to die or even worse having to match it yourself.
        • Nimey wrote:
          Does anyone have a full build yet? Still undecided if I should raise blue or red to 5. Blue is a unique and awesome skill but countdown tile with timer 4 is a lot of time to get rid of it, to die or even worse having to match it yourself.

Aleatory posted a whole team build which includes this Magneto in The Hood topic. -> link

I plan to to do 5 purple for sure, but I am still contemplating how to go with red and blue. Increased cost (almost 50%) of blue at level 5 and additional countdown timer are too much of disadvantage for me to justify full board clear. I prefer to have smaller area, but being able to cast it more often and for it to activate faster. Therefore at the moment I am leaning towards 4/5/4, cause it seems most AP efficient build. However, I also consider 3/5/5 in which case blue skill would activate even quicker and red AP would be used by other character.
        • His purple skill is amazing. However, i was under the impression that his tile destruction skills generated ap. they do not currently. Devs should add that fact to the skill description, or allow the skill to generate ap. i'm refering to both red and blue skills.
        • Shamusyeah wrote:
          His purple skill is amazing. However, i was under the impression that his tile destruction skills generated ap. they do not currently. Devs should add that fact to the skill description, or allow the skill to generate ap. i'm refering to both red and blue skills.

Oh, yes, devs please make it clear if no AP is generated.
        • Blue skill doesn't generate AP

But Red skill DOES generate AP, which i think not many people aware about this

I have a 2/5/5 build level 76 magneto.

Pair him with C.Storm and purple stockpile and you can rush your way to top 50 in 30 minutes in lightning round icon_e_biggrin.gif
        • I was under the impression red did not generate ap, but I just confirmed and you are correct.
          Red does generate ap.
          i don't know if 11 red is worth 24 ap. i guess it depends.
        • I used him a lot early on, especially paired with c.Storm, because I have his purple skill at 5, but I only have 2 red covers and no blue, so I've moved on to using other characters. I've got 2 3-star characters with more covers, and 2 others gaining ground.
        • His red skill cost 14 AP at level 5, which will generate 9-25 ap and damages for 1700+ (mine still at 77). I think his red skill is pretty good compared to other 2* characters except probably thor.

But i never use thor's red if i havent got 12 red ap already.
        • I think I have made mistake with him.
          actually 5/2/4 and his best ability is the second one.

I'm hoping decrease power will be possible later icon_mrgreen.gif

blue ok if i can trick it with the Hood.... but it oblige you to have 2 support characters...i will be a perfect target for tournament icon_mrgreen.gif

I don't know what to do with him for the moment...
        This discussion has been closed.