Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) - 2*

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ive been using her in The Hunt paired with Rocket & Groot. Put extra TU tiles on the board then make a yellow match boosting Groots heal
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    dw316 wrote:
    I am going to try 3-5-5 and see how that works. Is she worth upgrading to lvl 94? I remember reading from somewhere that some people leave her below that...

If you are in the transition stage where you are getting 2*'s, then yes.

OBW
    Daken
    Ares
    Thor
    Torchling
    Captain America
    Captain Marvel
    Hawkeye
    Magneto
    Storm
    Wolvie

These guys are all playable, each with varying degrees of power. OBW will serve you best followed by a solid 2* Daken, Not sure Captain Marvel would be infront of Ares or Thor, but she will allow you to do crazy things.
    That's a nice list, though personally I would probably put Thor/Ares above Daken simply because you should prioritize getting one of them to playable level before leveling Daken. OBW and either Thor or Ares are a very good start, then Daken rounds it out nicely.
    I'll also add that **Captain America is very much a niche character, so he just barely qualifies as playable in my book.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster wrote:
    I'll also add that **Captain America is very much a niche character, so he just barely qualifies as playable in my book.
    OBW is all the anti-goon you really need, so yeah, I don't think Cap is worth running even when boosted vs. the other 2* red users. That puts you on the roster cut list, sir.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    yeah 2* Cap's red is pretty worthless, it's too bad they didn't have that scale up in damage like 3* Cap, because 3* Cap is AWESOME.
  • Trisul
    Disclaimer: This is a really minor nitpick.

I find the naming for this hero to be really awkward. "Captain Marvel" has nothing to do with this character.

We have examples of HeroName (codename) like the Dark Avengers, HeroName (nickname) like Squirrel Girl and Daredevil, HeroName (job description) like Nick Fury, HeroName (comic series) like Luke Cage. Then we have Original/Classic/Modern. I have no idea how to even classify Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel). Something like FutureHeroName (ThisHeroName)?

Ms. Marvel (Classic) or Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) would be just fine, and would leave room for a Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) if they ever needed. For that matter, Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) would be nice to differentiate from a potential Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell), however unlikely that might be.
  • Quebbster
    Trisul wrote:

I find the naming for this hero to be really awkward. "Captain Marvel" has nothing to do with this character.

We have examples of HeroName (codename) like the Dark Avengers, HeroName (nickname) like Squirrel Girl and Daredevil, HeroName (job description) like Nick Fury, HeroName (comic series) like Luke Cage. Then we have Original/Classic/Modern. I have no idea how to even classify Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel). Something like FutureHeroName (ThisHeroName)?

Ms. Marvel (Classic) or Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) would be just fine, and would leave room for a Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) if they ever needed. For that matter, Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) would be nice to differentiate from a potential Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell), however unlikely that might be.
    Agreed. Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) and Ms Marvel (Carol Danvers) would be the best way to differentiate them.
    But they have changed names in the past, so there's always hope...
  • Trisul
    X-posted from viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16027&start=120#p285845

• Nah, the first name is always the same for the same character, and it can't be shared with anybody else - it's what's shown on their HP bar. The second is the specific costume/version.

I guess it could be changed to Captain Marvel (House of M) if it really bothers people.
  • Trisul
    brosef wrote:
    Nah, the first name is always the same for the same character, and it can't be shared with anybody else - it's what's shown on their HP bar. The second is the specific costume/version.

I guess it could be changed to Captain Marvel (House of M) if it really bothers people.
    I don't think it would be hard to change the name without breaking the link. They probably link characters via some internal ID, not necessarily hard string comparisons of their name. (If it's indeed hard string comparisons, then stop it! That's bad coding!)

House of M version is technically accurate, but that was a small window of time in an alternate universe and isn't really representative of this costume's history. It's linked to "Ms. Marvel", period.

(again, this is all a nitpick)
  • I think Ms. Marvel has some good use if you don't have that many 3* characters with some ample covers. I'm in that situation. I much prefer the 5red/5blk/3 yellow build simply because:

1) I don't have enough Loki or Devil covers to make really good use of their ability to rid those pesky protect tiles. That goes for other 3* characters that can clean the board of pesky protect tiles, traps and such. I'm sure eventually if I can get more covers for those 3* characters I'll replace her, but for now she does the work, and she's buffed out on a lot of events lately for some odd reason.

2) I find her yellow good at even four, but I keep changing her build back and forth from 3/5/5 to 5/5/3. I find 5/5/3 works well for me now until I can replace her with 3* hero or her 3* version. If I had some 3* characters appropriately covered and can make use of her yellow ability than I'd change her build again, but since i'm not at that bracket yet I'm concentrating more on her ability to make some damage and as well get rid of those pesky protect tiles in events that say a buffed up strong Bullseye annoyingly creates. The sooner you can get rid of those pesky protect tiles equates to more damage and allows me to focus on making the kill as fast as I can before a buffed up moonstone can collect enough colors for a deadly photon blast.

Ms. Marvel is leveled at level 60 for me so that she is playable, but I wouldn't invest anymore ISO until I can figure out whether I'll need her once I can get better characters like Loki covered appropriately. For now she does the job at times when I'm confronted with characters who use protect tiles.
  • Trisul
    She has the best black ability at the 2* tier, so if that's the gaping hole in your team then she's a great fit, thought that situation is fairly rare (maybe if you have Iron Fist but no major 3* black users?).

I find the paltry damage upgrade and ONE additional protect tile not worth giving up the cascade potential of 5 yellow, but that's just me.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Ms Marvel is a really good hero to have for 2 star players because she is frequently buffed and has lots of health. I use her often with Hawkeye for early PvP and clearing nodes in PvE.
  • I didn't like this character at all when she was first released, but having messed around with her some when she's been boosted I've come around to her a little. She's earned a semi-permanent spot on my 2* Deadpool Daily survival team along with Thor and Storm. I keep her at 5/5/3 for this purpose, since I'm never going to use her yellow over Thunder Strike, and at 5 covers her red hits a little harder and is a little more efficient than Thor's red at 3 covers, which is really the only way to go with him. 5 black for her feels like a must.
  • Trisul wrote:
    She has the best black ability at the 2* tier, so if that's the gaping hole in your team then she's a great fit, thought that situation is fairly rare (maybe if you have Iron Fist but no major 3* black users?).

I find the paltry damage upgrade and ONE additional protect tile not worth giving up the cascade potential of 5 yellow, but that's just me.

She does have a wonderful black ability which it why I keep that at 5. As far as cascades with her yellow with certain characters, I've had no luck with that and I seem to fall short every time. For me, with a limited roster, her red replaces 2* thor's red ability. But I agree with you that if you can get her to work the cascade route than that would be the path to take. I guess it's nice that I unfortunately get so many repeat covers for her so I can always go back to 3/5/5 once I've established other characters that will help bring out the cascades.
    Ms Marvel is a really good hero to have for 2 star players because she is frequently buffed and has lots of health. I use her often with Hawkeye for early PvP and clearing nodes in PvE.
    yes, that's why she has a semi permanent spot in my roster. It's just that she is kinda iffy for me at this point in my roster building. These days she is less priority for leveling up since that goes towards other more important heros . Maybe once I've established my base team I'll reassess whether I can keep her. Although it might be a long time from now before I spend anymore precious ISO on her since I've got some 3* characters I'd rather level up once I establish my level 94 core teams.
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    I didn't like this character at all when she was first released, but having messed around with her some when she's been boosted I've come around to her a little. She's earned a semi-permanent spot on my 2* Deadpool Daily survival team along with Thor and Storm. I keep her at 5/5/3 for this purpose, since I'm never going to use her yellow over Thunder Strike, and at 5 covers her red hits a little harder and is a little more efficient than Thor's red at 3 covers, which is really the only way to go with him. 5 black for her feels like a must.

I didn't either, but she seems to fill the niche for those of us who are transitioning and with a limited roster. Thanks for your idea. I too use her with 2* thor now because he lacks strength with his red ability, and she fills that up with the added bonus of clearing up some protect tiles. It will be hard to get rid of her since I like your idea of her with DP/2*Thor/2*Storm build. Definitely a very nice team that works together, and when DP comes out of the vault I can see this as something I'd consider doing when faced with those pesky ninjas in DP daily.
  • should be interesting since Captain Marvel and Billy Batson are sort of 2 characters so Batson will be a peer of the Young Justice team, while Captain Marvel would be one of their mentors.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    should be interesting since Captain Marvel and Billy Batson are sort of 2 characters so Batson will be a peer of the Young Justice team, while Captain Marvel would be one of their mentors.

<<NotSureifSerious.jpg>>
  • should be interesting since Captain Marvel and Billy Batson are sort of 2 characters so Batson will be a peer of the Young Justice team, while Captain Marvel would be one of their mentors.

<<NotSureifSerious.jpg>>

It's really this Captain Marvel:

919829.jpg
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    SPLIT! XAM!
  • Quebbster
    should be interesting since Captain Marvel and Billy Batson are sort of 2 characters so Batson will be a peer of the Young Justice team, while Captain Marvel would be one of their mentors.

<<NotSureifSerious.jpg>>
    My spambot sense is tingling.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    Ok I've leveled up 5 star.pngstar.png teams to level 94 (for me it's OBW, Thor, Wolvie, Daken, and Ares), and I've come to the decision that Ms. Marvel is staying permanently in my roster. Here is my reasoning:

1. At the snail rate of how i'm getting 3* and especially 4* heros, I figured I might as well invest my ISO and time in leveling up all of my star.pngstar.png heros to level 94. I figure, while i'm waiting for those 3* and 4* heros to super slowly creep into my roster, I might as well go the extra mile to level up all of them to max 94. I think this is the best route for me to take so that once i've done this, i'll be able to exclusively focus on just high level heros. Plus, the biggest advantage i'll have is I will always have any featured 2* fully leveled pre boost which will be a nice change not to ever think about or focus on any star.pngstar.png heros.

2. I think i'll revert back to 3/5/5 once I have established Hawkeye, but for now 5/5/3 works very well while i'm working on Hawkeye and even Captain America.

3. She's boosted in lots of events, and I can see this to continue for future PVE events. I might as well have a maxed out Ms. Marvel to make really good use of her especially when she is boosted for an event.

4. I think i'll see a value in her once she is at max level. Although, she seems to come out strong with full health after I beat any node due to her being at a lower level than all my heros.