** Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) **

Comments

• I oddly use Wolverine 3/5/5 with Daken as it's better for grinding, using 2 healers without health packs. Wolverine's strike tiles being placed on red hurts his usefulness anyways, but his ability to take a hit makes him usable longer than 2* Thor.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Now that 2* Daken got buffed with a 3rd skill and extra levels, can Wolvie's heal trigger at least from 75% health? Please? Lower the amount healed if that would be needed with such a change, or something else. Just make his healing power a little stronger overall. I mean, Daken now has stronger strike tile, stronger healing and with 10 bluetile.png AP with enough strike.png does comparable damage as Wolvie with 12 redtile.png AP (maybe beats his old man in that too, no precise calculating, just eyeballing max level stats). Only thing that helps Wolvie vs. Daken from these last changes is that now it's harder for Daken to overwrite all the redtile.png before Wolvie has enough AP to put some strike.png of his own...
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Kolence wrote:
    Now that 2* Daken got buffed with a 3rd skill and extra levels, can Wolvie's heal trigger at least from 75% health? Please? Lower the amount healed if that would be needed with such a change, or something else. Just make his healing power a little stronger overall. I mean, Daken now has stronger strike tile, stronger healing and with 10 bluetile.png AP with enough strike.png does comparable damage as Wolvie with 12 redtile.png AP (maybe beats his old man in that too, no precise calculating, just eyeballing max level stats). Only thing that helps Wolvie vs. Daken from these last changes is that now it's harder for Daken to overwrite all the redtile.png before Wolvie has enough AP to put some strike.png of his own...
    This would be a nice quality of life change, but unfortunately I wouldn't expect a buff any time soon.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    They just need to do this

Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
    2 Star Rarity (Uncommon) Discussion link
    At Max Level: HP: 3920 Tile damage: 43/49/09/11/55/10/4.0

Feral Claws - 6 Green AP
    Wolverine's rage builds. He deals 33 damage and places 1 strength 4 Red Strike tile plus 1 for every 3 Red AP his team has.
    Level 2: 43 damage.
    Level 3: Strike Strength 5.
    Level 4: 56 damage.
    Level 5: Strike Strength 6.
    Max Level: 520 damage and Strike tile strength 60

Adamantium Slash - Red 10 AP
    Wolverine rips the enemy to shreds, dealing 180 damage.
    Level 2: 216 damage.
    Level 3: 252 damage.
    Level 4: 288 damage.
    Level 5: 324 damage.
    Max Level: 2884 damage

Healing Factor - Yellow Passive
    (PASSIVE) Wolverine's healing factor mends major injury and sustains his assault. Whenever his team makes a Yellow match, his healing factor activates, restoring 17 health.
    Level 2: Recovers 21 health.
    Level 3: Recovers 24 health.
    Level 4: Recovers 28 health.
    Level 5: Recovers 32 health.
    Max Level: Recovers 281 health

essentially, get rid of the 50% cap but halve the healing. Because you have to actively match yellow it makes no sense to limit it, because eventually you will run out of yellow matches, and because Wolvie himself can't use it, it would be considered balanced IMO. His red I dropped the cost by 2. Green needs to have the strength of the tiles increased, the rest I would leave the same.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    (PASSIVE) Wolverine's healing factor mends major injury and sustains his assault. Whenever his team makes a Yellow match, his healing factor activates, restoring 17 health.

essentially, get rid of the 50% cap but halve the healing. Because you have to actively match yellow it makes no sense to limit it, because eventually you will run out of yellow matches, and because Wolvie himself can't use it, it would be considered balanced IMO. His red I dropped the cost by 2. Green needs to have the strength of the tiles increased, the rest I would leave the same.
    I've thought this ever since they released him in his changed form. Seems much more logical than having a 50% limit, especially for Wolverine.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    They just need to do this

Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
    2 Star Rarity (Uncommon) Discussion link
    At Max Level: HP: 3920 Tile damage: 43/49/09/11/55/10/4.0

Feral Claws - 6 Green AP
    Wolverine's rage builds. He deals 33 damage and places 1 strength 4 Red Strike tile plus 1 for every 3 Red AP his team has.
    Level 2: 43 damage.
    Level 3: Strike Strength 5.
    Level 4: 56 damage.
    Level 5: Strike Strength 6.
    Max Level: 520 damage and Strike tile strength 60

Adamantium Slash - Red 10 AP
    Wolverine rips the enemy to shreds, dealing 180 damage.
    Level 2: 216 damage.
    Level 3: 252 damage.
    Level 4: 288 damage.
    Level 5: 324 damage.
    Max Level: 2884 damage

I like the yellow changes, except that I would lose the 50% HP requirement on 5 yellow instead of any yellow.

His red and green are already strong enough, considering that if I run him with Thor or Ares I pretty much always would use Wolverine's green and red. His strike tiles are already plenty strong.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    What did 2* Wolverine do before his nerf? Was he really just crazy strong? I only recently found out he was nerfed at all.
  • viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2636

At level 5, his green cost 3 AP.

At level 5, his red cost 10 AP.

His yellow used to be Patch's yellow.

The damage on his red and green and AP requirement per strike tile on green were adjusted to make up for the changes.

The reason they nerfed him was because he was true healing every turn and creating another strike tile every 3 green AP.

He became, at least in the 2 star range, an unkillable strike tile generator who had no downside, unlike Daken who did have his heat feature.

Add his red, which was almost not even worth using, at 3 and you just had a wildly unbalanced character.
  • HIs healing was lower than what Patch healed for. But 3 AP Feral Claws was just broken, and it used to add significantly stronger strike tiles too. Adamantium Slash was probably a bit weaker prior to the Feral Claw nerf, and while the healing is significant that was more of a 'true healing is bad for the game, and then we released Patch and Daken'.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    3 AP Feral Claws was really, really good. But I think if players had had more 3* characters, he wouldn't have been considered that great. At the time, Ragnarok, Magneto, Spider-man, The Hood, and probably GS Black Widow were all better.
  • 3 AP Feral Claws was really, really good. But I think if players had had more 3* characters, he wouldn't have been considered that great. At the time, Ragnarok, Magneto, Spider-man, The Hood, and probably GS Black Widow were all better.

Wolverine can kill The Hood on turn 3 reliably during that time since back then AP+3 all boosts didn't cost HP. Only Ragnarok was strictly better than him. Everyone else you mentioned is generally significantly worse on defense at that time, especially The Hood because denial doesn't mean much when every game starts with everyone having 6 AP in 4 colors.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Besides, you used him with rags, to use the gobs of green AP you had.
  • Remember Loki?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I played back in the day where Thorverine was at its prime, and I distinctly remember when I had enough covers to max Punisher, and thought to myself "oh god, Punisher isn't even that much better than Wolvie...". Wolvie was basically as good as Punisher back in the day, and when your competition was GSBW / pre-buff Doom, etc, Wolvie was basically as good as a top tier 3* back then.
  • I played back in the day where Thorverine was at its prime, and I distinctly remember when I had enough covers to max Punisher, and thought to myself "oh god, Punisher isn't even that much better than Wolvie...". Wolvie was basically as good as Punisher back in the day, and when your competition was GSBW / pre-buff Doom, etc, Wolvie was basically as good as a top tier 3* back then.

He's considerably better than Punisher when you start out with 6r 6g since that's 2 Feral Claws right away and probably adds about 300 worth of strike tiles before you even make your first move while the same for Punisher is not quite enough to use any moves. Without boosts he's probably not better than The Punisher but when AP+3 all boosts are just 200 iso there's really no reason not to run them, and I think boosts used to drop more frequently anyway. I know that if you hit Espionage on the right chains it's quite easy to take out The Hood by turn 3, and to put things in prespective, currently only X Force can do that with any reliability even with boosts right now (6g, match green, X Force). He's a guy responsible for making The Hood looking underpowered!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well that, and more people actually got hood covers. Even with rags, getting the top 2 for blue was really annoying, much less doing it 5 times.

And yeah, the strike tile strength was also nerfed dramatically
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    In the pre-funbalance days, the 2* Thor, AWolverine, OBW ran rampant.

Collect green, collect red, get strike tiles out, OBW double dipped on espionage, true healed, and reconned.

2* Thor red into yellow was devastating (10AP red generated 5 yellow tiles). Get more green from Thunderstrike which means more strike tiles.

This combo could take down any 3* teams in those days.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    hurcules wrote:
    In the pre-funbalance days, the 2* Thor, AWolverine, OBW ran rampant.

Collect green, collect red, get strike tiles out, OBW double dipped on espionage, true healed, and reconned.

2* Thor red into yellow was devastating (10AP red generated 5 yellow tiles). Get more green from Thunderstrike which means more strike tiles.

This combo could take down any 3* teams in those days.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=129
    I bookmarked this, this is where I first found out about the forums. Thor's proper build back then was 5/5/3, so 6 red AP generated 5 yellow tiles, 11 yellow generated 5 green.

I remember using Wolverine Spider-Man MMags a lot, I got really lucky from tokens and got 5 blue for Spider-Man pretty quick. I don't have the numbers on his strike tiles but I recall Wolverine OBW doing 1k+ espionage hits.

Patch was absolute **** compared to 2* since his strike tiles were weaker (even when it was bugged and gave you both green and purple tiles), his heals were worse and his red did less damage (and he cost a buttload of ISO to level).
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    oh and back then 2* Storm used to generate red with her yellow too, those were the days icon_e_smile.gif
  • Patch regened more but it took 5 covers to bring it to 'always on' level, whereas 2* Wolverine's regen was just always on but more covers increased its potency and having 'always on' regen is generally far more useful.