** Ares (Dark Avengers) **

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ares doesn't need to be nerfed. He us among the best 2*s, but gamebteaking or overpowered. He is just annoying (like many if the dark avengers) when overleveled (really just ares, venom, daken and juggs). Ap denial will usually do the trick, though a bad cascade is deadly. Its a good challenge for super tough nodes.

I would much rather see more enemy variety in these older pve events. Endless dark avengers is tedious. At least juggs isn't in the hunt.

Off topic:

Transition definitely takes longer a couple of months without paying. It us easy to place well in a pve, earn 3 covers for a character, and then buy the rest. Rinse and repeat and you have a 3* team for maybe $180 (though you will also need iso). Playing f2p, even 2 months of heavy play will almost certainly leave you with 2-5 covers for 20+ 3*s (which a f2p player won't have space to hold). I can't see any way to do max a 3* team f2p in less than 6 months. And even that would require luck from tokens and not getting screwed by vaulting.

I am just under 6 months, and have a few cover maxed 3*s. I was delayed a bit by vaulting, but I also spent a bit of cash on roster space early. Without that, I wouldn't be nearly as far along.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Do you think it takes "literally $500/month"?
  • Forget ares. They should do something about that menace yelena. Every time after I'm done with level 290 jugs and daken, she gets off one of her abilities.

Next week, nerf bat for spidey, bagman style.
  • Mattfal wrote:
    Switchman wrote:
    "The 2*>3* transition is only a few months"

HAHAHAHA, on what planet bruh!?!?

Unless you are dropping literally $500/mo. on this game, a few months is a pipe dream.
    Im 7months in the game and have just now been using 3stars for the majority of the time. For people who are in the 2-3 star transition, my only suggestion i can give is to focus on an old char that is being released.
    If you are in a t100 alliance, it is fairly easy to get 5 covers for that char (1 for pve placement, 1 for progression, 1 for pvp placement, and 2 from alliance rewards). Also, you probably already have old chars from token pulls (exception: most people in 2-3 star transition dont have many thor covers as he is currently vaulted)

T100 alliance ... so you ask the alliance to help and what you contribute ? I think you finished your transition long ago as current situation is change lots . well generally good 3* is out rotation and there are too many useless 3* there. rewards is dominated by 4* and 3* team in PVP. With increase refresh time in PVW, transition get difficult and difficult

why i know , cos i m 123 days and in the middle of transitions. Lucky i join a top 100 alliance like 20 to 30days ago. i try my best to contribute hard to it ( the problem is contribution is limited by 2* roster in PVP) . My progress is 100 times faster than the last 100 days .

I also want to point out there are two types of transition . First level a Eatch of 3* character in the same level and still PVW and Second just level 2 - 3 Major 3* do PVP only. later may be much shorter if you get luck
  • There should be strong characters for 2* players too. They have a hard enough time at PvP already without one of their best assets getting nerfed.
  • Yes, he is strong. But he's not exactly rare. I get 5 Ares covers a day.

Anyone can have him, so it's not a big deal if he's strong.

Besides, Ares is the only real way to make a 2 to 3 star transition.

He's strong enough to actually kill 3 stars.

If he didn't exist, money would be required to get into the 3 star stage of the game.
  • Switchman wrote:

Unless you are dropping literally $500/mo. on this game, a few months is a pipe dream.

Took me one or two seasons. It could take way longer if you have no idea what you're doing or if you play only 10min a day though.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    At 94 and when he's 270 along with everyone else he's mostly fine. When he's 100-200 levels higher than your characters he hits way too hard given how fast his moves are and how tanky he is. His scaling should be something along the lines of the 4* for abilities (gaining 50% damage per 100 levels, deals 2x his 94 damage at 300 ish, 2.5x at 395).
  • dkffiv wrote:
    At 94 and when he's 270 along with everyone else he's mostly fine. When he's 100-200 levels higher than your characters he hits way too hard given how fast his moves are and how tanky he is. His scaling should be something along the lines of the 4* for abilities (gaining 50% damage per 100 levels, deals 2x his 94 damage at 300 ish, 2.5x at 395).

You say that as if you thought the devs were looking for a way to make his scaling more fair.

Why do you think the hardest nodes in pve always have venom, juggs, daken and/or ares?

They're meant to scale crazily. This is clearly working as intended.
  • dkffiv
    edited January 2015
    ark123 wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

You say that as if you thought the devs were looking for a way to make his scaling more fair.

Why do you think the hardest nodes in pve always have venom, juggs, daken and/or ares?

The hardest nodes don't necessarily always have those 4, its that there are only 6 Dark Avengers (7 with Sentry). Xforce (green) gets like another 400 damage with 50 levels and Ares (yellow) gets 1100 ish? +200 levels doubles Xforces damage while Ares deals ~10.5x more damage with that large a boost.

*Edit: Was watching the pro bowl when I was typing this up and forgot what the base level of 2*s was. Ares numbers were edited to 1100 from 1700 and 10.5x from 15x.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

The hardest nodes don't necessarily always have those 4, its that there are only 6 Dark Avengers (7 with Sentry). Xforce gets like another 400 damage with 50 levels and Ares gets 1700 ish? +200 levels doubles Xforces damage while Ares deals 15x more damage with that large a boost.
    Yeah I doubt it's random. Otherwise we would have gotten a few juggernaut+obw nodes that would have people sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches.
  • dkffiv
    ark123 wrote:
    Yeah I doubt it's random. Otherwise we would have gotten a few juggernaut+obw nodes that would have people sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches.

Pretty sure there were a few Ares / OBW nodes last Simulator, the only upside was that OBW had 5 covers in purple so you didn't insta lose after 2 purple matches.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

The hardest nodes don't necessarily always have those 4, its that there are only 6 Dark Avengers (7 with Sentry). Xforce gets like another 400 damage with 50 levels and Ares gets 1700 ish? +200 levels doubles Xforces damage while Ares deals 15x more damage with that large a boost.

15x huh? Wow, I didn't know greenflag.png hit for 3,000 per greentile.png .
  • dkffiv
    Arondite wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

15x huh? Wow, I didn't know greenflag.png hit for 3,000 per greentile.png .

Level 321 Ares does 755 with his green while level 15 does 44. (755 - 44) = +711 damage from 306 levels. Roughly 2.3 damage per level so a 200 increase is about 460 damage, 460/44 is 10.4x. My original math was assuming 2* start at level 40 'cause I haven't leveled one in forever, edited the original post with fixed math.
  • Once you get further into the 2-3* transition and have an Ares of your own, you won't want him to be nerfed. It's a little hard to compete in the pre-3* world without him and OBW.

OBW owns Ares.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Ares is hardly broken, or even in need of a nerf. Yes, he is one of (if not the) strongest 2*s but someone has to own that spot.

When fighting him I rarely bring my strong 3*s and still whup him. Use Patch or Daken (+ green/red user) and just laugh. My typical strategy is grab red, deny yellow and take green if I need to make sure I dont get Onslaughted, but using Patch or Daken I generally dont mind Onslaught. Of course, that does require thought as far as if he does get 6 green, put your healer out front for his next move.

If you are still in 2* land or transition bring Stormneto and keep him locked or use 2* Daken plus Ares. As noted above OBW can help neutralize Ares, and Im sure there are other perfectly viable options.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Are you talking about a normal, level 94 Ares that you see in PVP? He's fairly easy to drop with a decent 3* team. Sure, if he hits you it's going to hurt but the same can be said for 2* Wolvie or Thor.

If you're talking about the over-leveled Ares you see in PVE nodes then yes, he hits like a tank and it can certainly feel unfair. But, again, the same can be said for most 1* and 2* characters that are leveled for 2x to 4x--or more!--their normal level cap.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love Ares on the other team especially if I have Patch or Daken. Click on Ares to see what his green threshold is. When AI gets said amount of green ap make sure Daken or Patch are up to take damage. They shrug damage off and you just got free green AP.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    ark123 wrote:
    Switchman wrote:

Took me one or two seasons. It could take way longer if you have no idea what you're doing or if you play only 10min a day though.

Okay, I don't know how some of y'all do it. Been playing for a year now (passed the 365 marker over this last weekend) and I am only now able to use some of the star.pngstar.pngstar.png toons that I've picked up. I know there's no need to spend $500/mo, but I really am amazed at how some are able to get to the star.pngstar.pngstar.png stage so quickly. Truth is likely somewhere in the middle...