** Ares (Dark Avengers) **

Comments

• Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    I would prefer to see a "lazy" version of juggs or venom instead.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    3* ares a would make a lot of other 3* characters his ****.

-Onslaught would probably blow razor's edge away with its AP to damage ratio when maxed out for its 5 cost at 3* scaling
    -Rampage's becomes a little better with scaling and a higher HP pool for triggering bonus damage sooner
    -Sunder becomes one of the scariest powers in the game

his 1-2 punch of onslaught + sunder initial damage on one target would either murder them or cripple them to the point where the sunder CD tile would probably finish them off.
  • I would prefer to see a "lazy" version of juggs or venom instead.

Mystique is kind of a version of venom if you make her 5/3/5.

Anyway a 3* Sunder would hit for what, 6.5-7k+?
    I'd rather not have that in the game.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Simply on the premise that Ares was not a major mover in Marvel, I would prefer him not to have another iteration.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* ares a would make a lot of other 3* characters his ****.

-Onslaught would probably blow razor's edge away with its AP to damage ratio when maxed out for its 5 cost at 3* scaling
    -Rampage's becomes a little better with scaling and a higher HP pool for triggering bonus damage sooner
    -Sunder becomes one of the scariest powers in the game

his 1-2 punch of onslaught + sunder initial damage on one target would either murder them or cripple them to the point where the sunder CD tile would probably finish them off.
    To be fair, razor's edge damage scaling is already pretty terrible, when there are multiple 3k moved for only 1 more AP in the same color. That unlike gamora, actually have useful moves attached to the characters

You know what would be terrifying? a Lazy mhawk
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Simply on the premise that Ares was not a major mover in Marvel, I would prefer him not to have another iteration.

Well, it proves that if a character is well built, we don't care if he's renowned or not.

I mentioned this in another thread, but: IF freaking Mole Man was well designed, we'd rock him over Patch or 3Cap. Ability > notoriety.

As to OP's question: I'd sooner see Bullseye get a third ability that passively generates crit tiles whenever he matches 4s, if but on black, purple, or (whatever his third color is). It wouldn't break him. It'd make him fun.

And I agree that I'd want a Juggernaut or Venom before a 3* Ares. Mostly because he's already GOOD.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:

Well, it proves that if a character is well built, we don't care if he's renowned or not.

I mentioned this in another thread, but: IF freaking Mole Man was well designed, we'd rock him over Patch or 3Cap. Ability > notoriety.

I mean, yeah, if they make a literal mole as a character and it was good, we'd use him, because winning is paramount. I'd definitely use a 3* Ares. Ares is a fun character to tool around with. I still stand by what I said though; with as many unrepresented characters as there are, not just to say important ones, I'd rather see some new guys, over rehashed already released ones (even if they aren't "lazy" renditions, though this would make me feel a little better).
  • Is anybody going to do anything about Ares? Seriously, the CPU drops insane amounts of green yellow and red for a character who is obviously OP. I get it, skill has nothing to do with the game, nerf Ares, bc no 2* should obliterate my 3* roster with ease. Him and OBW. Seriously, at least you introduced Squirrel Girl, don't fix the problems you have, just make more.
    Besides, if the game is pure luck, why not call it Luck Quest? Come on guys.
  • Is anybody going to do anything about Ares? Seriously, the CPU drops insane amounts of green yellow and red for a character who is obviously OP. I get it, skill has nothing to do with the game, nerf Ares, bc no 2* should obliterate my 3* roster with ease. Him and OBW. Seriously, at least you introduced Squirrel Girl, don't fix the problems you have, just make more.

i dont think so as he do his job perfectly . A reliable character and danger enemy. Best supporter in 2* to 3* and nightmare in high level PVE.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ares doesn't obliterate 3* teams "with ease". He hits hard, sure, but all his powers have drawbacks you can exploit. It's good to have a few characters that punch above their weight class, particularly when they can't do it for extended periods of time.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Ares is good on defence, but I'd never use him on offence over Thor 2*... way back in the summer of '14, that is.

The 2*>3* transition is only a few months, and not entirely relevant to the majority of active players, so I have a hard time seeing them go back and tweak any 2* characters.

Can't see any connection to Squirrel Girl. There's going to be a new character every two weeks, regardless of the 2* situation. Complaining about the new character that doesn't appeal to Gambit (Nightcrawler/White Queen/Marvel character you really wanted/etc etc) fans is kind of silly.

A level 94 Ares and OBW cannot take out three 166 3*s with ease, except once in a blue moon. I suppose that is a bit of luck there.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Ares needs to be changed, yes, but not too much. I've taken to prioritizing him over any other character in almost any party he's in. Don't let him build up greens and reds by taking every one you can and try not to set up matches on your turn. To make it worthwhile, take characters that use those two colors, at least. OBW can be strong too, but just don't let her make the matches she needs. That's the tactic with all these difficult characters. Prioritize who's strongest and take them out as soon as possible.
  • Roswulf
    Roswulf Posts: 87
    Square wrote:
    Ares is good on defence, but I'd never use him on offence over Thor 2*... way back in the summer of '14, that is.

The 2*>3* transition is only a few months, and not entirely relevant to the majority of active players, so I have a hard time seeing them go back and tweak any 2* characters.

Can't see any connection to Squirrel Girl. There's going to be a new character every two weeks, regardless of the 2* situation. Complaining about the new character that doesn't appeal to Gambit (Nightcrawler/White Queen/Marvel character you really wanted/etc etc) fans is kind of silly.

A level 94 Ares and OBW cannot take out three 166 3*s with ease, except once in a blue moon. I suppose that is a bit of luck there.

The 2*-3* transition is emphatically not only a few months. Maybe it was back in Summer 2014. Reasonable estimates for the duration of transition for a heavy-but-not-insane-player under current d3 policy range from six months to never.

I think the wisdom of nerfing Ares is an interesting question. Ares is too good as compared to other 2* (other than OBW), without question. He is so much better that it makes the 2* PvP game significantly more dull- using someone like Wolverine or Torch even at around 300 points is just asking to be pulverized on defense. But precisely because he is too good, he provides one of the few paths to making any transition progress. Knock Ares back to 2* Cap quality, and I'm not sure I can get the seasonal ten-pack as a tranisitioner, and I don't think I will ever be able to steal a 3* cover for PvP Top 100 in season. Ares is bad design (particularly his insanely overpowered green), but his bad design works against the larger design flaws in the game.

Ultimately, I feel that Ares should be nerfed by D3 only if and when the 2*-3* transition takes a few months.
  • Stunning opponents is just as useful as dmging them. IMO he doesn't need to be nerfed.
  • "The 2*>3* transition is only a few months"

HAHAHAHA, on what planet bruh!?!?

Unless you are dropping literally $500/mo. on this game, a few months is a pipe dream.
  • Switchman wrote:
    "The 2*>3* transition is only a few months"

Unless you are dropping literally $500/mo. on this game, a few months is a pipe dream.
    Im 7months in the game and have just now been using 3stars for the majority of the time. For people who are in the 2-3 star transition, my only suggestion i can give is to focus on an old char that is being released.
    If you are in a t100 alliance, it is fairly easy to get 5 covers for that char (1 for pve placement, 1 for progression, 1 for pvp placement, and 2 from alliance rewards). Also, you probably already have old chars from token pulls (exception: most people in 2-3 star transition dont have many thor covers as he is currently vaulted)
  • Mikaveus
    Mikaveus Posts: 202
    Just for reference: I'm a solid 3* player at this time. And I don't think Ares needs any nerfing. Any buffed 2* character is going to give you fits in PvE, especially when they hit level 200. Ares has some awesome abilities and what really limits him and a lot of 2* characters is their level cap. Just look at how highly Cap and Thor are regarded in their 3* incarnations. Just because Ares kicks our buttocks in the PvE doesn't mean he's a broken character in need of nerfing.

You could argue that the scaling system needs refinement.
  • i just wish his health regen was faster. 3k health on other characters an Hour....for Ares, 3 hours. He's the only one i spend healthpacks on.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Switchman wrote:
    "The 2*>3* transition is only a few months"

I spent literally $5 on the game, and had two 3*s maxed by the five month point, keeping in mind the first month was 1* territory. So, within four months to participate in 3* territory. Part of that was by using advice on the forum. No pipe dream. Sorry if you think that requires $500 a month. It doesn't.