*** The Hulk (Indestructible) ***

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    lleywen wrote:
    hum hum ....
    hulk's best compagnion is more simple than we are thinking :
    Modern Hawkeye and his purple ability of course
    Hmm... would dumping his red hit onto himself trigger the passive?
  • lleywen wrote:
    hum hum ....
    hulk's best compagnion is more simple than we are thinking :
    Modern Hawkeye and his purple ability of course

Really? You think Modern Hawkeye is a good idea once you're playing 3*s with 5 blue Spideys?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    So... Has anyone figured out whether or not to go 5/3/5 vs 3/5/5? I have an extra green in my stash for my 3/2/3 hulk, and am thinking of using it on the basis of an earlier argument in this thread that hulks red is too expensive for the ai to use kn defense.
  • mischiefmaker
    mischiefmaker Posts: 932
    edited January 2014
    I think the general consensus is that it's not a big deal which one you choose as long as you have 5 black.

5 green has a very marginal impact over 3 green (3 extra tiles), compared to 5 red over 3 red (2700 max damage). However, you're likely to use green a lot more often on offense than you will red. So it's really a question of personal preference: would you rather have the ability you use all the time be a little tiny bit better, or would you rather have an ability that you rarely use be way better?

On defense, I don't think it will matter much since most people will just stun Hulk, but if for some reason they don't have a stun, I think it likely they will save Hulk for last, which makes the red a bit more likely. This is especially true if they forget about Anger -- I got hit with a couple Smashes during the Hulk event because I was careless, triggered like 5 Angers, which cascaded him up to the red he needed for Smash. Ouch.

If you do decide to use the green, can you please test to see how the damage increases? Ideally I'd like to have the following numbers:

Damage for 3 green at your current level
    After you train to 4 green, damage at your current level
    Damage at 4 green after you level up
  • FoxInSox
    FoxInSox Posts: 75 Match Maker
    The amount of damage you do with Hulk's green also scales with the number of green covers you have, even though it isn't listed in the description. I haven't leveled up my Hulk at all, but his green damage has gone up with each green cover.

I now have 5 on his green and his level 15 Thunderous Clap does 163 points of damage.
  • Oh hm, apparently it's on the wiki already. Derp.

If the percentages scale linearly with level, though, the difference is basically negligible -- 872 max damage at level 3, versus 1023 at level 5. Which is too bad -- I've got a green Hulk sitting in my stash that I'd love an excuse to use instead of waiting for red.
  • Yeah, I'm not sure how the damage scales (I have no idea how all of you are able to track it so well while playing). As I mentioned earlier, I went ahead and did 5 green and the extra 3 tiles shattered helps with shaking up the board a bit more when it gets stagnant. The damage output has increased though, but seems to vary (is it dependent on the types of tiles that are shattered? No idea, but I swear the damage numbers keep varying. May be a result of matches after the clap though).

For me and my playstyle though, I do think I did the right thing. In Double Shot, my most-used team has been 100 IM40/100 Rags/89 Hulk and I let Rags' Thunderclap feed Hulk's. Because of that team-up I've never had the red build up to a point where I would have Hulk's red ability trigger, and I think I'm getting more out of the 7 Thunderclaps and 1 Hulk green attack than I would out of just one Hulk smash.
  • The damage varies because you do damage for every tile shattered, plus you do damage for cascade matches. I was just suggesting that you look at the damage number in the power description before and after you level up, not try to track it in-game.

The question, I think, isn't whether you're getting more out of 7 Thunderclaps and 1 Thunderous Clap (boy, that's confusing) than one Smash. The question is whether you're getting more benefit out of the extra 3 tiles and 100ish damage on Clap every time you use it, or whether you'd get more from the extra damage on Smash the one rare time you would use it.

Dangit, when I put it that way I starting thinking I might want to go 5/3/5 after all. Sigh.
  • The question, I think, isn't whether you're getting more out of 7 Thunderclaps and 1 Thunderous Clap (boy, that's confusing) than one Smash. The question is whether you're getting more benefit out of the extra 3 tiles and 100ish damage on Clap every time you use it, or whether you'd get more from the extra damage on Smash the one rare time you would use it.

Dangit, when I put it that way I starting thinking I might want to go 5/3/5 after all. Sigh.

icon_lol.gif You actually stated the exact point I was trying to make, but much more eloquently. And yeah, when I looked at it that way it's exactly why I ended up just going for 5/3/5.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    I have mine up to 116 now with a 4/3/5 build, I fully intend to go 5/3/5. I use him with Rags and I am loving the effects, the green cascades so well that I am looking forward to popping just a couple more for even greater effect. At 116 the description says 810, but I notice the damage is always around 1200 (granted this is due to matches made when they pop, but it is not at all uncommon to see 1200 then another 900 from cascading matches, spamming when you have 20-30 is to great effect considering how many tiles get destroyed every time you pop it.

I don't care much for smash, I use it periodically, but the amount of time it takes to count tiles is annoying to me, half the time I am playing and watching TV or Netflix, so having to count tiles is the pits IMO.

Anger at level 5 is sexy.
  • I've got a green hulk cover languishing in my stash so I think I might commit to 5/3/5 just so I don't have to junk it.
  • jozier wrote:
    I've got a green hulk cover languishing in my stash so I think I might commit to 5/3/5 just so I don't have to junk it.

Same for me. Just pulled the trigger (or pushed the button). Going 5/3/5. I think Clint's point of having to count stuff put me over the edge - that is way too much effort icon_e_smile.gif
  • Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether Hulk has been added to packs yet?
  • Forge wrote:
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether Hulk has been added to packs yet?

He should be in the Heroic Pack, but right now he is in both "The Hunt" and "Smash Hit" packs. The 10-pack of "Smash Hit" will give you at least one Hulk cover.
  • Confirming that he's in the Avengers pack -- just pulled a green. And I'm in the same 3/5/5 vs. 4/4/5 vs. 5/3/5 boat as everyone else now.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Forge wrote:
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether Hulk has been added to packs yet?
    I don't think he, Punisher, or Ares are in Standard/Heroic packs yet. Probably soon, though.
  • I don't know guys ... I'm really looking for someone who goes well with punisher, and I want it to be the hulk, but at 141, he has to take 489 damage to trigger his passive.

That's just .... not going to happen very often outside of skills. They'd have to have attack tiles on board or get a crit. And once you take away the passive, his other 2 skills are meh. I'd go with red because I don't want to destroy even more random tiles with punisher on board but realistically I'd never use his red or his green.

So then I have a hero that I'd never use red or green, and his passive becomes very seldom triggered at high levels .... so I really wonder if this is worth it.
  • I don't know guys ... I'm really looking for someone who goes well with punisher, and I want it to be the hulk, but at 141, he has to take 489 damage to trigger his passive.

That's just .... not going to happen very often outside of skills. They'd have to have attack tiles on board or get a crit. And once you take away the passive, his other 2 skills are meh. I'd go with red because I don't want to destroy even more random tiles with punisher on board but realistically I'd never use his red or his green.

So then I have a hero that I'd never use red or green, and his passive becomes very seldom triggered at high levels .... so I really wonder if this is worth it.

Well, once Patch comes out, pair him with hulk, and you'll give the opponent the strike tiles to trigger his passive. (The same would apply for C. Storm's passive).
  • Psst....with no Ragnarok to litter the board with greens, smash has now become my #1 source of damage.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    _fulu_ wrote:
    Psst....with no Ragnarok to litter the board with greens, smash has now become my #1 source of damage.
    Really? I've been finding that it cost too much, you can almost do 2 punisher reds for the same price