Transitioning from ** to *** [Help]

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hi guys. Been playing on and off since the beginning, and seem to have hit a plateau. I could use some help.

My main team right now is:

5/5/3 85 Thor (I know, right?)
5/3/2 85 Grey Widow
2/0/1 28 C. Mags

I also have a 5/4/2 38 C. Storm if some stun is needed.

What I want:

I want the damn 5 blue covers for Spidey (I have NONE).
I want the 3 purple covers for Grey Widow so I can get Deceptive Tactics to be even better than it already is
I want the 4 purple covers for Mags

I would love a bunch of Rags covers (mine is like 2/1)

My Problem:

I can´t seem to find a way to get those covers. I´ve tried Shield training, to get to 2300+ progression rewards, but I get stuck at like 1400-1500, like most people.
I spent some HP in 10 pack widow covers, but got instead a bunch o OBW.

TL;DR: My question and cry for help:

The way I see it, I have two options:

1. Keep chasing the dream. Ideally, you want to rock a *** team. For me, that would be Grey Widow, Rags and Classic Mags (with Spidey subbing in). I would settle for Thor instead of Rags for a while.

The thing is, I can´t seem to get closer to it. No tournament gives you Spidey Covers, nor Magneto Covers (I seem to always be late for them flash rounds).

2. Settle. I have a 5/3/5 lv. 6 Wolvie and a 2/4/5 (with a blue stashed) OBW.

Should I just pump a lot of iso on these two? Or should I hold on to the original plan, and keep hoping for a lucky draw on the daily deal or random token?

I have pretty much every char, but from I have been reading here, the aforementioned ones are the ones that matter, right?

Sorry for the long post, I tend to ramble. But thanks a lot for any help that you guys can provide. I love this game, but I´m starting to feel like a treadmill player.

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Something that might help your decision to pump wolvie is that in events where it's buffed (cough hulk cough), it's probably the most powerful character in the entire event, making it still useful for PvE after you've gotten your 3* team assembled. I'm in a similar situation as you (2/2/0 spidy, 3/3/3 grey widow, 1/2 rags), and I don't see myself going to make the 3* transition anytime soon, so my widow / wolvie / thor team is probably going to carry me for the upcoming weeks.
  • Something that might help your decision to pump wolvie is that in events where it's buffed (cough hulk cough), it's probably the most powerful character in the entire event, making it still useful for PvE after you've gotten your 3* team assembled. I'm in a similar situation as you (2/2/0 spidy, 3/3/3 grey widow, 1/2 rags), and I don't see myself going to make the 3* transition anytime soon, so my widow / wolvie / thor team is probably going to carry me for the upcoming weeks.

Got it. The thing is that it´s like 80k iso to get a ** to full level. Hurts to spend that much for a char that wouldn´t be on the main team. But I get what you´re saying. In a perfect world, we would have all the chars maxed up, lol. But I´m sitting on like 30k iso, that i can´t use on the chars I want for lack of covers.

I think I will wait for the hulk thing to be over, and see if they come back with other tournaments and prizes. If it seems like it´s going nowhere, wolvie it is (even though he takes away from Grey Widow´s awesome awesome green power.)

Thanks, man.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    It does hurt to spend the iso leveling a 2*, but if you think about the timeline that you can get the 3* covers, it'll be a while before you can build any one character that will be stronger than 2* wolvie. By having the wolvie around, you'll do better in the immediate upcoming events and place higher, earning rewards that further accelerate the growth of your roster. The main issue I see with doing this is that thor / grey suit / wolvie seems pretty unexciting, due to blue/black matches not doing much and GS widow/wolvie competing for green. I would suggest that you also level O. Widow to make the thor / O. Widow / Wolvie team that does wonders for me, but I wonder if theres a better team comp given your roster that you can make to take advantage of your 5 green widow.
  • It does hurt to spend the iso leveling a 2*, but if you think about the timeline that you can get the 3* covers, it'll be a while before you can build any one character that will be stronger than 2* wolvie. By having the wolvie around, you'll do better in the immediate upcoming events and place higher, earning rewards that further accelerate the growth of your roster. The main issue I see with doing this is that thor / grey suit / wolvie seems pretty unexciting, due to blue/black matches not doing much and GS widow/wolvie competing for green. I would suggest that you also level O. Widow to make the thor / O. Widow / Wolvie team that does wonders for me, but I wonder if theres a better team comp given your roster that you can make to take advantage of your 5 green widow.

You are totally right. It´s not just the matter of getting the - somewhat high - amount of covers I still need, but also the ISO for all of them.

How good 85 Wolvie actually is? I have not messed with strike tiles. What kind of damage am I looking at? Which one should I pump first? Wolvie or OBW?

I´ll just have to be willing to put grey widow and mags on hold for a while, and "settle" for what seems to already be a pretty decent team icon_e_wink.gif
  • Perdidodf wrote:
    How good 85 Wolvie actually is? I have not messed with strike tiles. What kind of damage am I looking at? Which one should I pump first? Wolvie or OBW?

Very. My advice is patience. Put iso into Wolverine and use him while you try and acquire more covers. I would consider targeting diabolical tokens in lightning rounds.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    It's hard to explain the feels of playing with strike tiles, so I guess I'll walk through a typical game with the thor/wolvie/widow team. You start off by matching red and green (which deal ~175 damage) in order to power up the strike tiles. Once you've made a green match and don't have any potential red matches (so that the AI doesn't break your tile), you use feral claws and generate 2 strike tiles (assuming 6 red), bumping your attacks up to 300-400 damage. You then match some more greens and use claws some more, and now all of the sudden you have 6 strike tiles, and your claws/basic matches are doing 600-700 damage. Note that since feral claws only costs 3AP, this happens every time you make a single green match, and occurs rather quickly. Once you have 4+ strike tiles, any O. Widow match does double damage because of espionage, resulting in 800 damage at 4 tiles, and 1.1k damage at 6 tiles. Throughout all of this you're building up red/yellow for thor (stockpile red to get more strike tiles, using it only when necessary to burst someone down), so after your widow gets in some damage, you can quickly burst down the rest of the team with thor, healing with Widow right before you kill them. The best part about this team is that all matches are useful: red/yellow go to thor for efficient dps, green goes to wolvie for tiles, and purple/blue/black go to Widow for healing and AP stealing/generation. Black is the weakest match for this team, but even then, it's still doing significant damage due to espionage and strike tiles.

I would probably level both of them up to the point where it starts getting really expensive for further levels (I think 50 or so?): wolvie levels are useful for the strike tile damage, and widow levels are useful for the healing. After that, I would prioritize Wolvie since strike tiles are a lot more important, although widow is pretty squishy at low levels. I would also go ahead and use the blue cover on widow. I don't think the increased AP required to use the purple is worth the +1AP for level 4, and level 5 blue lets you heal at the end of PvE missions that involve HAMMER thugs, which is extremely relevant in events such as the hulk, since this lets you heal off of easy missions that just have 3 thugs.
  • It's hard to explain the feels of playing with strike tiles, so I guess I'll walk through a typical game with the thor/wolvie/widow team. You start off by matching red and green (which deal ~175 damage) in order to power up the strike tiles. Once you've made a green match and don't have any potential red matches (so that the AI doesn't break your tile), you use feral claws and generate 2 strike tiles (assuming 6 red), bumping your attacks up to 300-400 damage. You then match some more greens and use claws some more, and now all of the sudden you have 6 strike tiles, and your claws/basic matches are doing 600-700 damage. Note that since feral claws only costs 3AP, this happens every time you make a single green match, and occurs rather quickly. Once you have 4+ strike tiles, any O. Widow match does double damage because of espionage, resulting in 800 damage at 4 tiles, and 1.1k damage at 6 tiles. Throughout all of this you're building up red/yellow for thor (stockpile red to get more strike tiles, using it only when necessary to burst someone down), so after your widow gets in some damage, you can quickly burst down the rest of the team with thor, healing with Widow right before you kill them. The best part about this team is that all matches are useful: red/yellow go to thor for efficient dps, green goes to wolvie for tiles, and purple/blue/black go to Widow for healing and AP stealing/generation. Black is the weakest match for this team, but even then, it's still doing significant damage due to espionage and strike tiles.

I would probably level both of them up to the point where it starts getting really expensive for further levels (I think 50 or so?): wolvie levels are useful for the strike tile damage, and widow levels are useful for the healing. After that, I would prioritize Wolvie since strike tiles are a lot more important, although widow is pretty squishy at low levels. I would also go ahead and use the blue cover on widow. I don't think the increased AP required to use the purple is worth the +1AP for level 4, and level 5 blue lets you heal at the end of PvE missions that involve HAMMER thugs, which is extremely relevant in events such as the hulk, since this lets you heal off of easy missions that just have 3 thugs.

Man, thank you for the thorough answer. I´m sold. Wish I could send you some covers, hehe. I got a bunch of grey widow i can´t use. D3, get on it. We have to have something better to do with good covers then selling them for 125 iso.

I only have enough ISO to get wolvie up to 56 (if i don´t pump OBW). Leveling OBW would be important for her hp, healing (even though i don´t play in long enough spurts to need more than 5 packs) and for the damage on her espionage, right?

How useful is your team either without OBW, or with her at such a low level (15).

Thanks for all the help, dude. That was really nice of you.

ps. help goes both ways. We seem to be going on similar paths, so if there´s anything you want to discuss, feel free.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    No problem. I would go with leveling wolvie up, since his strike tiles are so good. I don't think a low level widow would be too good: she is typically at the front tanking hits when I match blue/purple/black and if she's only level 15, then I would be scared to match any of her colors. However, since you only have enough iso to bring one character to a reasonable level, I would go with wolvie since strike tiles make more of an impact. Maybe your strategy would be to only go up to 4-5 strike tiles, and then save green for BWGS or something, although I can't imagine rounds lasting that long.

How has BWGS served you so far? Do you get her green off during most rounds? I have one that I'm considering pumping iso into once she hits 5 green, but without rag to fuel it, it seems really slow compared to just using wolvie.
  • Well now u can get spidey from the im40 tournament icon_e_biggrin.gif

• How has BWGS served you so far? Do you get her green off during most rounds? I have one that I'm considering pumping iso into once she hits 5 green, but without rag to fuel it, it seems really slow compared to just using wolvie.

I like her a lot. I get her green off (sounds sexual) about 50% of the time, more if I look for it. I do start with yellow and red boosted, though, so Thor gets a head start.

Right now, her green does like 2225 damage on everyone, plus cascade damage. It is pricey, but has won me many a battle. Especially if you consider.... Deceptive Tactics.

My favorite thing in the game are those self sustainable powers. Both Grey´s purple and Mags´ blue are great in that regard. It gets pretty easy, with her purple, to feed her green. I only get three tiles (i need those covers), but I constantly get like 3 criticals and a extra turn plus cascade damage out of it.

So she is good. She is dependent on a lot of greens, and must be fed. Right now, I feel like her purple does enough of a good job of that that she should be considered a top tier char.
  • Well now u can get spidey from the im40 tournament icon_e_biggrin.gif

Yep, every one and their mothers are going to jump on this one. Especially the ones that, like me, burned out on the first hulk event, and then couldn´t be bothered by the second one. I´m coming for you, spidey.
  • Wanted to put in my 2 cents and say that I too never understood the appeal of Wolverine until I decided to try him out during the Hulk event. (I kept hopping around leveling characters that happened to be buffed in certain events.) I had him in the 60's and I could already see a major impact (had him grouped with the usual teams of either Spidey/Rags or Spidey/Thor). With all the ISO from the event I got him maxed out, and am very happy I did so. It got to the point where I was looking for green matches to lay down strike tiles before looking for red matches to fuel Rags (the strike tiles would make each Thunderclap hit even harder).

My GSBW is still only at 3/3/5 so she's not really a starter until I can get her green to 5. Haven't used OBW at all yet but have been hearing very good things about her. Trouble is I currently have her at 5/5/2 so I may end up scrapping that one and rebuilding.

I guess I didn't really contribute that much to this thread. lol My main point was that I too didn't realize how powerful of a team member Wolverine is until I actually used him. He's become a very major player for me, especially in PVE.
  • Kauai wrote:
    Wanted to put in my 2 cents and say that I too never understood the appeal of Wolverine until I decided to try him out during the Hulk event. (I kept hopping around leveling characters that happened to be buffed in certain events.) I had him in the 60's and I could already see a major impact (had him grouped with the usual teams of either Spidey/Rags or Spidey/Thor). With all the ISO from the event I got him maxed out, and am very happy I did so. It got to the point where I was looking for green matches to lay down strike tiles before looking for red matches to fuel Rags (the strike tiles would make each Thunderclap hit even harder).

My GSBW is still only at 3/3/5 so she's not really a starter until I can get her green to 5. Haven't used OBW at all yet but have been hearing very good things about her. Trouble is I currently have her at 5/5/2 so I may end up scrapping that one and rebuilding.

I guess I didn't really contribute that much to this thread. lol My main point was that I too didn't realize how powerful of a team member Wolverine is until I actually used him. He's become a very major player for me, especially in PVE.

That´s a contribution in itself. I made up my mind about leveling wolvie and OBW. I don´t know if it´s a coincidence, or if it has to do with the new patch, but I´ve been losing a couple of matches on the Double Shot (which i´m counting on to get Spidey), so Wolvie just became more important. Nice to know you had good results with him too (even though he was buffed in the Hulk Event)
  • Perdidodf wrote:
    That´s a contribution in itself. I made up my mind about leveling wolvie and OBW. I don´t know if it´s a coincidence, or if it has to do with the new patch, but I´ve been losing a couple of matches on the Double Shot (which i´m counting on to get Spidey), so Wolvie just became more important. Nice to know you had good results with him too (even though he was buffed in the Hulk Event)

I experienced the same, during the first Hulk i maxed out my Wolvie. During the BW event I started working on my OBW since I did not have enough covers for Thor. I just finished getting her to 85 so my "mains" are 85 wolvie 85 obw and a filler, which currently is a 69 punisher. They do work great together though.
  • Well, now things seem to have changed a bit.

With the shields, it´s now feasible to get to the progression rewards on Shield Training, and getting those spidey and gsw covers.

Also,a lot of lightning rounds, for Mags, Rags, etc.

I´m also getting three spidey covers on the double shot tournament, and probably going for broke to get them on the second one too.

Maybe I´ll skip wolvie/OBW, not sure. Depends on getting those 3* covers. icon_e_smile.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    How many spidy covers do you currently have? Im working on my 3/3/1 (hopefully 3/4/2 after double shot) and im still not sure if hes going to fully replace widow yet. Widow simply does a lot more dps, which is useful for time sensitive events such as the lrs. Im working on the lrs too right now, but it seems like rag/mag is still a long way off for me, so im not sure if i can transition anytime soon.
  • How many spidy covers do you currently have? Im working on my 3/3/1 (hopefully 3/4/2 after double shot) and im still not sure if hes going to fully replace widow yet. Widow simply does a lot more dps, which is useful for time sensitive events such as the lrs. Im working on the lrs too right now, but it seems like rag/mag is still a long way off for me, so im not sure if i can transition anytime soon.

Hey dude. Right now, spidey is still at 2/1/3 (I only had 1/0/2, and i´m doing him 5/5/3). I got three more covers on the double shot pretty tied up, so He´ll be 3/2/3 pretty soon.

I still love my widow, but to be honest, I´ve been using her less and less (especially on the double shot, where I have to use freaking IM40), and instead using C. Storm for her stun. The thing is, she "only" hits for like 2000+, and that takes some time to get going. So Thor is my dps, storm stuns who needs stunning, and IM stands there, looking stupid.

The thing you have to consider is that Spidey, at 5 blue, will only cost 2 ap per pop, so that´s like 3 stun a match. That adds up really fast, and is progressive (rounds stunned by number of tiles). That, and the healing.

So, even though I love my GSW, I think Spidey will help with control a lot more.

BTW, I gave up on levelling Wolvie and OBW for now. With the shields, it has gotten way easier to progress on the shield training. Which means 2 more spidey covers (making him 4/3/3) and a couple of GSW covers.

Right now, I´m thinking Thor (red and yellow), GSW (purple and green) and Spidey (blue for stunning, yellow for healing when needed).

I agree with you on the LR stuff. I want Mags and Rags, but I am focusing on one thing at a time. Especially because I play until I´m out of packs, then throw a shield. so when I´m done with a tournament, I can´t even go on the other ones, and have to rest.

Best of luck dude.