Human Torch (Johnny Storm) - 2*

167891012»

Comments

• KevinMark wrote:
    Him, Daken and new 2* Ms. Marvel should make a good team. Is the best build 3 green and 5 others?

Why are we considering playing Ms. Marvel with Torch when both characters are red / black? Seems like theres too much overlap between the two.
    Not we. Just me. Because of its novelty. I'm getting bored. Granted I won't be able to play with that team for a long time. There will be some overlap regardless when you make a team of 3 with Ms. Marvel anyway.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    KevinMark wrote:
    Not we. Just me. Because of its novelty. I'm getting bored. Granted I won't be able to play with that team for a long time. There will be some overlap regardless when you make a team of 3 with Ms. Marvel anyway.
    Novelty =/= "good team"

It's not a huge deal, but since character optimizations are a pretty strong theme in these topics, you want to have some legitimate reasons behind a character or team comp that you think is "good".
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unless Photonic Blasts is greatly improved from its *** counterpart Ms. Marvel is basically a two-color character anyway.
  • Trisul wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    Novelty =/= "good team"

It's not a huge deal, but since character optimizations are a pretty strong theme in these topics, you want to have some legitimate reasons behind a character or team comp that you think is "good".
    Whatever. It's not a government matter. It "is" a good team btw. It covers all the colors. All with active abilities except for purple. Overlapping is not a huge issue. You just use what you think is the better ability of the same color for the specific situation you are in. Are you saying every good team combination in existence have zero overlap? Of course not. Most of the "good" team compositions involve 2 characters due to the way events work in the game. Thus, overlapping really doesn't even come into consideration.
  • Trisul
    KevinMark wrote:
    Whatever. It's not a government matter. It "is" a good team btw. It covers all the colors. All with active abilities except for purple. Overlapping is not a huge issue. You just use what you think is the better ability of the same color for the specific situation you are in. Are you saying every good team combination in existence have zero overlap? Of course not. Most of the "good" team compositions involve 2 characters due to the way events work in the game. Thus, overlapping really doesn't even come into consideration.
    I just meant to point out that you didn't initially give any reasons for it being a "good team".

It's just a point of comparison. You add the third character to a team to shore up a weakness or add synergy, so there's opportunity cost if someone better is out there.

The core Torch/Daken is a pretty solid synergistic duo. Adding Ms. Marvel adds a mediocre red (which you'll almost never use), a weak yellow, and a better black. Ms. Marvel also tanks red and yellow for the team. I'm not exactly sure what the gameplan is for this team yet, but since you're bringing Ms. Marvel solely for her black, I guess it's K > G > R > B > Y to get strike-tile-fueled Hypersonic Punches? Torch red and green are solid supplements to that plan. Alternatively, you can emphasize Torch instead (something like R > G > K > B > Y), but that weakens Ms. Marvel's contribution to the team. Either way, Torch tanks green, which hurts since he's a low HP dude.

If you instead add Thor, not only does he tank red, yellow AND green (hiding Torch completely), he also adds amazing yellow and green abilities that combo together, altering color priorities towards something like Y > G > R > B > K. Emphasizing Torch instead gives more of a R > G > Y > B > K and Thor still contributes by generating green AP for Torch to burn (though Flame Jet maxes out damage at 9 green AP anyway).
  • The problem with Thor in that team is that I can already do that. It's nothing new. I agree it is a better team with Thor though. With Torch and Daken yellow and purple are the missing active abilities. For yellow Thor is the obvious choice in the 2* land. For purple there are OBW (who supports anyone) and MN Magneto who has questionable synergy with Daken's blue. If you want both yellow and purple actives, there is Bagman icon_lol.gif The main reason why I said I would use Ms. Marvel with those two guys because I wasn't looking to use Thor but her instead.
  • Is it worth only leveling him to level 84 so that both 2* Thor and Ares can tank green for him?
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    haysoy wrote:
    Is it worth only leveling him to level 84 so that both 2* Thor and Ares can tank green for him?
    Ares will always tank green for Torch (unless buffed). Thor and Torch both have green as tertiary colors so again Thor will always tank green for Torch provided you place Thor in the more dominant position.

Did you mean red and not green? If so, then this seems like it may be a valid strategy.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    haysoy wrote:
    Is it worth only leveling him to level 84 so that both 2* Thor and Ares can tank green for him?
    Ares will always tank green for Torch (unless buffed). Thor and Torch both have green as tertiary colors so again Thor will always tank green for Torch provided you place Thor in the more dominant position.

Did you mean red and not green? If so, then this seems like it may be a valid strategy.

Ah yeah I meant red icon_e_smile.gif Got the columns confused when looking at the chars on the wiki page.
  • I would add that being a glass cannon, Torch really benefits from additional levels for the damage output so if he's not a mainstay like said Ares/Thor, you can afford to max him and switch him out for Daken, oBW, cStorm.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting discussion going on here about 5 Black or 5 Green (though probably not 4 of each).

What do people think?
  • I've moved to 5 black. I tend to use strike tile generators so the attack tiles are necessary. He's rarely on a team that doesn't have another decent green skill. Also because he is so fragile, getting the green to power his flame often results in him taking too much damage.

However, I didn't make roster room for Captain Marvel, so I'm a little biased. Also I find myself usually using Torch in random PVE when he's boosted, not as a PVP mainstay.
  • Trisul
    daibar wrote:
    I've moved to 5 black. I tend to use strike tile generators so the attack tiles are necessary. He's rarely on a team that doesn't have another decent green skill. Also because he is so fragile, getting the green to power his flame often results in him taking too much damage.

However, I didn't make roster room for Captain Marvel, so I'm a little biased. Also I find myself usually using Torch in random PVE when he's boosted, not as a PVP mainstay.
    I also pretty much exclusively use Torch only when boosted, where I pair him with one-yellow IM40 and try generating as many fireballs as possible.

I actually like the 5 green build in this situation, since I'm usually completing the team with an AP stealer like OBW or Hood, both who don't have a green.