How Developer-Customer Interactions Work

Options
I wrote this back in 2011 when observing the outcry over a series of changes/retcons/communications on a different game. I think they generally apply to the Developer-Customer dynamic for most things, really.

McBurger VS Consumers

Letter to McBurger Industries:
Dear McBurger,
You really should switch from those horrible old non biodegradable Styrofoam containers. They’re soooooo bad for the environment.
Thanks,
Anonymous Customer

2/5/2011
McBurger Industries: Upcoming Development Note V1.01

In response to customer feedback, we are discontinuing our use of Styrofoam containers generally used to house our burgers for sale. Instead, we will be utilizing a cardboard container that contains no less than 75% recycled materials. We listen to our customers concerns, and believe this to be a move in the right direction.

John: Woot! Go McBurger!
Jane: Alright McBurger! Way to go!
Pete: You really think that will help? McB, dude, your burgers are filled with trans fats, the lettuce is like shredded dog hair, and I’m not sure what those green discs are but you gotta get rid of those. This packaging stuff is just fluff!
Tom: While I agree with the OP, I do not believe this goes far enough. Other companies can offer packaging for their burgers that are 86.5% recycled materials. McB, you need to do more.

2/8/2011
McBurger Industries: Upcoming Development Note V1.02

Due to increasing feedback regarding our food quality, all lettuce now undergoes a thorough quality review before being shipped. We understand that quality is of the highest importance, and we work proactively on these issues.

John: Yay McBurger! You’re awesome!
Jane: Um, I usually ask for no lettuce so this doesn’t affect me. Can you provide a comment on the fries? Those things are too salty.
Pete: Quality review? Who’s doing this quality review? Can we see the check sheet to see what qualities are being looked at? Of course not. McB does what they want, they don’t care about us. I think I’m going to eat at Burger Monarch instead.
Tom: The lettuce was fine. What the heck are you changing it for? I liked the lettuce. It was like a little grassy knoll I could pretend to hide behind. I don’t know what the changes you’re making to it are, but don’t do it! Keep it like it was!

2/19/2011
McBurger Industries: Upcoming Development Note V1.02(a)

Dear valued customers,
We hear your concerns, and have taken steps to fix what seems to be a problem. Going forward, no burger sold at McBurger Family Restaurants will contain any lettuce. Consequently, extra pickles will be used in their place, which means we have had to put a moisture-absorbing sheet at the bottom of each of our new environmentally friendly burger containers to soak up the additional pickle juice. Fries are now 15% less salty across the board, but we will no longer have free refills on fountain drinks.

John: ****, McBurger!!! ****!!! You say you’re environmentally friendly, but you’ve gone and put all those lettuce farmers out of work. They’ll have to farm more lucrative and environmentally damaging things like beef patty tree orchards and they say those are horrible for topsoil erosion. Change this back!!
Jane: The pickles are too juicy. Can we agree on a nerf for the pickle juice please?
Pete: Beef Patty trees don’t exist, John. Dude, they’re called cows. Learn to be edumacated.
Tom: What is this, I don’t even…
John: Pete, you’re still here? I thought you went to Burger Monarch. And the word is “educated” Lrn2spell. Kthxbai.
Jane: No more trolling!
Eric: Free bird!
John: LOL
Jane: I like the fries now. Grats! Less salty FTW.

3/1/2011:
Lana: NO UPDATES FROM MCBURGER ****???!!!?
Tom: Cowards that they are, hiding instead of commenting on the real issues!
Eric: I am the walrus! No, seriously, I’m suing McBurger for making me fat!

3/7/2011:
McBurger Industries: Upcoming Development Note V1.03

We have been quiet of late, and this post is to assure you that we have not been idle! We have been taking your feedback and developing it into a workable solution to the issues we see posted here. As such, McBurger Industries as partnered with Genomics Incorporated to create the world’s first genetically modified beef patty tree. This revolutionary plant will put forth a bounty of low-fat, high-quality burger patties that are uniform in size, shape, texture and smell. We believe this will assist our customer base in leading healthier, fuller lives.
As there will be a large excess of beef patties due to the phenomenally high growth rate of beef patty trees, we have also partnered with the International Me So Hungry group, in efforts to feed third world countries. A full 10% of our excess will go to feed the hungry in countries less fortunate than ours.

John: OMG! Genetically modified food!!! NO! NO! NO!
Jane: I agree with John. There is no excuse for genetically modified foods. There are many other lean meat solutions available, including soy based products, and tofu.
Pete: So McBurger, an American-owned corporation who gets government subsidies for being high-income earners is giving away food now to other countries? I for one don’t agree with this! I pay my taxes, and they should not be used for other countries! Let them feed themselves! If I wanted to give to charity, I would do it myself, to a charity of my CHOICE. McB is FORCING us to DONATE!
Eric: LOL. Wasn’t this thread about burger boxes originally?? Seriously, you guys are tapped.
Tom: Actually, McBurger is privately owned. But what the heck is up with this cow tree??

3/9/2011
McBurger Industries: Upcoming Development Note V1.03(a)

Due to technical issues, we have gone back to using lettuce, and removing the extra pickles. As such, the moisture barrier inserts will no longer be required and have been removed also. Bun density has been buffed to adjust for excess seepage from the new burger patties.

Tom: SO YOU GIVE THEM TO US THEN TAKE THEM AWAY!?!?!?
John: Dude, calm down, they were foul remember?
Tom: I don’t care!! I had extra and now I don’t!
Jane: You have lettuce instead.
Tom: I DON’T EAT LETTUCE!!!!
Eric: Lettuce pray. MWAAAHAHAHA!
Polly: …Excess seepage?
Pete: Eric, if you have nothing constructive to say, gtfo. Forget the lettuce and pickles, WE’RE EATING COW TREE FLESH, PEOPLE!!!
Tom: I demand more pickles! I don’t care if I don’t eat them, I DEMAND THEM BACK!

3/15/2011
McBurger Industries/Genomics Inc Development Note V2.0

NEW PRODUCT LINEUP!!!
In an effort to make the burger experience more balanced, we have switched from a beef-patty tree to a beef-patty-potato hybrid. This will allow us to create burger-flavored fries as fries are our most popular seller.
The new product lineup also includes Pickle Burgers, which contain no meat or lettuce.

Tom: I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Who likes fries??
Jane: I like the fries. The old ones, post salt-nerf.
Eric: Mmmmm cowfries. What’s next, Cow pies?
Clarence: What’s up with this new burger box? When did that change??

3/17/2011
McBurger Industries/Genomics Inc/All Natural Farmers of America Development Note V2.1

We’re excited to offer to our loyal customers who have stuck with us through our transition period the opportunity to get McBurger Classics, which are made exactly as they were to begin with, but will be made 15% smaller to allow those with health issues to consume a burger safe in the knowledge that they are not going to die on the spot. These will be available four times a year for limited periods. Get ‘em while they last!
For the extra-nostalgia feel, these will come in the old style Styrofoam containers, since those things just wouldn’t biodegrade anyway, we thought we might as well use them.

Tom: YES! McBurger Classic! I remember back in Classic…those burgers were awesome. Glad to see this! Make them available year round!
Jane: But…the old containers were damaging to the environment!!
Tom: Seconded, Jane. Boo, McBurger! Laaaaaame!
Polly: You’re making them smaller, too?! Honestly, do you even CARE about your consumers? We’re paying for this! We pay your salaries!

4/1/2011
McBurger Industries/Genomics Inc/All Natural Farmers of America Development Note V2.1(a)

We hear your concerns, and in response to player feedback....
Go tinykitty yourselves. Seriously.

Sincerely,
McBurger-Genomics-ANFA.

Comments

• @808SpicyToro - I originally posted it in february 2011 to the blizzard/WoW forums.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:

McBurger Industries/Genomics Inc/All Natural Farmers of America Development Note V2.1(a)

Sincerely,
    McBurger-Genomics-ANFA.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This here is my favorite part. (altered just a bit). But I wonder how many times Ice, Hi-Fi, or Will wanted to post those exact words? icon_lol.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

Honestly, if they did make a post saying something like this, I would not blame them one bit. Even if it was in response to something I had posted, I would be laughing too hard to be upset by it. Granted, there are a lot of legitimate concerns posted on here, but some posts are just, ... well, you know. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • dearbluey wrote:

Sincerely,
    McBurger-Genomics-ANFA.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This here is my favorite part. (altered just a bit). But I wonder how many times Ice, Hi-Fi, or Will wanted to post those exact words? icon_lol.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

Honestly, if they did make a post saying something like this, I would not blame them one bit. Even if it was in response to something I had posted, I would be laughing too hard to be upset by it. Granted, there are a lot of legitimate concerns posted on here, but some posts are just, ... well, you know. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I like that. In fact, I'm co-opting it. thank you. icon_razz.gif
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know I found this hilarious. icon_lol.gif
  • I just wanted to let you know I found this hilarious. icon_lol.gif

Thanks!
  • My reaction to the first third: Dev butt kisser! Downvote! Second third: Hmmm, good point. Third third: Sigh, so true. Upvote.